Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor tax online question...

Options
  • 05-05-2008 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

Time to pay "the man"...first time for this car and as I've no free time for the next few weeks, need to do it online.
    In the past when I taxed my other car, I'd get a reminder in the post with a PIN for logging into the site. I had understood that for the first time taxing a new car, that it needed to be done in person...but having read the FAQs on the site, they say you can use the last 6 digits of the VIN along with the reg to log in.
    Problem is, when I try this, it's showing an error. I've tried several times and re-entered the reg no., but still nothing....anyone got any ideas?

[edit] Actually after reading further through the site, it's only brand new or newly registered cars that can be done with the VIN. Newly owned 2nd hand cars need to be taxed in person...great. Anyone know if you can do this over the phone or something? Really tied up with work for the next while...

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

You have to wait a few days after buying the car to be able to tax it online.
    If after a few days it still does not work contact the garage to make sure they regged the car correctly

Mik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Thanks for the reply....nah, it's not new new...more like 8 yr old new :pac:
    Have to go in in person :mad: God forbid the civil service decide to open saturday to collect their dues...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Wertz wrote: »
    Have to go in in person :mad: God forbid the civil service decide to open saturday to collect their dues...
    You can do it by post. and local authority staff are not 'civil servants'. :D

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    You can do it by post. and local authority staff are not 'civil servants'. :D

If you work for the government either local or national, you're a civil servant in my eyes ;)
    Thanks for the tip on the postal thing though. Save me half a day's wages

Didn't realise it was a 2nd Hand car.
    But you should be able to tax it by post, did the prev owner not have the last renewal notice. You prob will be liable for any arrears.
    You will need to wait until you get the log book back confirming you as the new owner before you can tax it.

Mik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I doubt you'd be liable for any arrears - just whatever's due from the point you took ownership of the car.

^ +1

Not your ornery onager

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Didn't realise it was a 2nd Hand car.
    But you should be able to tax it by post, did the prev owner not have the last renewal notice. You prob will be liable for any arrears.
    You will need to wait until you get the log book back confirming you as the new owner before you can tax it.

Mik

Car was taxed up until now, when I got it (2 months ago)...so no arrears to pay.
    Have registration certificate confirming me as keeper.
    I just wanted to avoid going in to the office because work and distance is a factor. Didn't even think of postal method...but thought you could do it online like I used to do with my old car.
    Anyone know if it can be done over the phone?

Ah here, just post the kuffin' thing! :)

Not your ornery onager

Wertz wrote: »
    Car was taxed up until now, when I got it (2 months ago)...so no arrears to pay.
    Have registration certificate confirming me as keeper.
    I just wanted to avoid going in to the office because work and distance is a factor. Didn't even think of postal method...but thought you could do it online like I used to do with my old car.
    Anyone know if it can be done over the phone?

Well if you have the car 2 months the renewal notice should have been sent to you already. No delays at present as I got mine at the end of last month.

Did you not receive a notice yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

i use Q4U look them up they will have it for you in a couple of days i think they charge about €18 they have shops all around the country

No renewal notice, but the onus is on me to get the car taxed regardless.

Advertisement