Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builder won't bargain

Options
  • 05-05-2008 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm looking at buying a 3-bed semi in a certain estate. They've stopped building the houses en masse, they only build the house when you sign the contract.

Anyway, the estate agent who showed us the show-house said that there's no way the builder will haggle on the price, and don't even try.

Question is, should you always try to haggle anyway? Or are some construction companies just too stubborn?

They're nicely contructed houses, and at 250k they are 20k more expensive than other houses in the locality, but the estate and build finish is probably nicer.

Thanks.
    Simon

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

They can only say no. Won't harm to ask. It's a buyers market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

simon333 wrote: »
    Question is, should you always try to haggle anyway? Or are some construction companies just too stubborn?

Haggle hard! You bet the builder haggles for credit from suppliers and some look for cheaper labour too. Businessmen are ruthless and you need to be too.

You might not get money off but maybe free appliances or furniture. Try for that though money off is obviously preferable.
    It is possible that you might not get anything off but at least try.

I'm not going to comment on buying off the plans, a discussion for another thread but be careful what you do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭simon333

I'm not going to comment on buying off the plans, a discussion for another thread but be careful what you do

I think I will start another thread for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

simon333 wrote: »
    They're nicely contructed houses, and at 250k they are 20k more expensive than other houses in the locality, but the estate and build finish is probably nicer.
    HAHAHAHA... yeah... if the estate is finished any time soon, and the builder doesn't f**k off leaving a half built estate with no green area for your kiddies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭simon333

the_syco wrote: »
    HAHAHAHA... yeah... if the estate is finished any time soon, and the builder doesn't f**k off leaving a half built estate with no green area for your kiddies.

True, that's not outside of the realm of possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Make a lowball offer of 220 to the builder and say thats your last offer,that the bank won't lend you that much, then walk away leaving your offer on table, they will contact you within a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Also, if its 20 grand more expensive than other local similar properties then the valuer for the bank possibly won't value it at the sale price.

Advertisement