Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to become a teacher in Engineering

• 05-05-2008 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi everyone, I'm sure there has been loads of people asking the same question but i needed to ask because I can't find any information!

I want to teach Engineering in secondary schools, I know you have to do an 'Arts Degree' but most Engineering teachers teach T.G/T.D and iv never did any of them for leaving cert year.

so i was wondering.

1. What do you have to do to teach Engineering in secondary schools?
    2. can i do an arts degree in Engineering and Computers?
    3. where can i do these?
    4. what are the points like?
    5. whats the pay like?
    6. whats it like all round as an engineering teacher?

any other info would be brilliant!

oh, just incase its important I'm in Higher Level Engineering for the L.C
    and Im very skilled at a computer.

Thanks everyone who takes the time to answer my Qs i really appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Wolf07 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm sure there has been loads of people asking the same question but i needed to ask because I can't find any information!

I want to teach Engineering in secondary schools, I know you have to do an 'Arts Degree' but most Engineering teachers teach T.G/T.D and iv never did any of them for leaving cert year.

so i was wondering.

1. What do you have to do to teach Engineering in secondary schools?
    2. can i do an arts degree in Engineering and Computers?
    3. where can i do these?
    4. what are the points like?
    5. whats the pay like?
    6. whats it like all round as an engineering teacher?

any other info would be brilliant!

oh, just incase its important I'm in Higher Level Engineering for the L.C
    and Im very skilled at a computer.

Thanks everyone who takes the time to answer my Qs i really appreciate it.

Hi,

There is an Engineering teaching course in UL. It's the only one in the country
    Course details are here.

http://www.ul.ie/admissions/newprospectus/Undergraduate/colleges/education/LM095.shtml

You would be qualified to teach Metalwork, Technology and Tech Graphics to Junior Cert after it and Engineering, Technology and Tech Drawing (or whatever the new course is called) to Leaving Cert.

Points last year were 380. They are normally in and around that. You don't need an Arts degree. Arts degrees allow you to teach subjects like English, History, Languages depending on what subjects you take in your degree.

You say you are doing Engineering for LC but not Tech Drawing, this won't be a problem. Only one of the Technology or Science (Construction, Engineering, Tech Drawing, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Ag Science) subjects at Higher Level is required for entry to the course, along with normal entry requirements (English, Maths, Irish or another language). Technically you could do the course having done only Biology for LC, but you would find it a lot tougher. Normally in the first semester you will be taught all the subjects from scratch at LC level and beyond, so everyone is brought up to the same level, so no need to worry about Tech Drawing until then.

There is already a thread here on salary: Teachers coming out of UL with a teaching qualification start on point 3 of the scale. And then you add on your allowance for degree and HDip.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055227449

I did Science Teaching in UL myself and I had a great time there, I really enjoyed the course. I would have been in lectures with the Engineering class for the teaching related modules. Engineering classes normally had around 30 in them, but that could have changed since I was there.

Job prospects are generally pretty good as the graduates from that class and the graduates from the Postgrad in Technology/Engineering from UL are the only qualified graduates for that subject area. None of the lads in my year found huge difficulty in finding work because there were so few of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Wolf07

Hey thanks very much for the info. Its definitely a reliefe to know that i don't need to do TD for the LC..

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 49 TowlieMcD

What science teaching course did you do? Is it the one with biology and physics or chemistry or the other one with just pure physics and chemistry?, because im interested in doin the biology course and i was wonderin if its hard or if you're able to get a job easily enough after enough after it and stuff. Im doin higher level in all my subjects and im doin chemistry and biology so ive got them covered which should be a help. just any info and what the course and life was like doin it would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

From Wolf07's profile: Last Activity: 25-07-2008 18:28

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

TowlieMcD wrote: »
    What science teaching course did you do? Is it the one with biology and physics or chemistry or the other one with just pure physics and chemistry?, because im interested in doin the biology course and i was wonderin if its hard or if you're able to get a job easily enough after enough after it and stuff. Im doin higher level in all my subjects and im doin chemistry and biology so ive got them covered which should be a help. just any info and what the course and life was like doin it would be appreciated.

I did the Biology/Chemistry or Physics option, where I chose Chemistry. You also have to do Ag Science so you come out with three subjects.

If you're doing HL Biology and Chemistry for your Leaving Cert you should have no problems with the course, many people go into it with only one science subject and everything for the first half of first year is repeating the LC course to get everyone up to speed in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths.

I don't think it's better or worse than any other teaching qualification but as you probably know there aren't a lot of teaching jobs out there at the moment for anyone. Hopefully that situation will improve in the next few years.

The coures is very much teaching focused, you do an education module each term. In first year you spend a week in a primary school teaching science to get a feel for classroom teaching. Then you do a 6 week block in second year and a 10 week block in fourth year.

While the course you do is a science degree, and you can go on to further qualifications from it, you are not qualified to go working in industry or a lab after it, although I'm sure there are a few that do every now and again. The course is designed to train science teachers, not a whole lot different to primary school teacher training.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tommychev

Hi I just came out of that engineering course in UL. Its a great course, very varied and the experience you get is great. I have just started a full time position in London and I'm loving it! if you have any questions just ask

fullback4glin
    ive heard nothin bout new zealand tbh but london has been goin well.
    the lessons are 1hr long each but only 5 in the day, souns tough but i prefer it to the many 40min lessons coz theres less planning involved.
    be warned you will have to take part in an NQT programme which is not bad but a bit of a pain. the teacher unions are great (NUT has an open bar night once each half term:))
    if you can either get employed directly tru a school or tru a recruitment agency, sign up to all of them and try do it early ao ur name is in there for jobs. here are a few links i can remember.
    http://www.uteachrecruitment.com/index.php this is the group im with and so far they are fine. in can claim expenses and things which helps reduce the tax i pay.

http://www.impactteachers.com/impact/ registered with thses, very helpful but uteach found me a job first
    You'll meet them all at the ul careers fair for education but better off to have your foot in the door.

food and drink over here are much cheaper than at home, even with the euro exchange.

if you have any questions about anythin just ask.

Ur first post did not show on the thread but i got an email about it so i said i'd reply.
    what kind of fyp are you doin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

tommychev wrote: »
    Hi I just came out of that engineering course in UL. Its a great course, very varied and the experience you get is great. I have just started a full time position in London and I'm loving it! if you have any questions just ask
    ....did many of your class have to go abroad to get work this year?..how many got fixed up at home?

there are a lot of us abroad, one in abudabii:cool:! off the top of my head i think there's 8 teachin in england, 7 or 8 yeachin in ireland, a good few are doing sub work and there are a couple doing masters programmes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 adrian85

im a qualified fitter through fas is there anyway i can do a long distnce evening course over a few years just i really want to teach and cant afford to leave my job at the minute to study full time and live in meath so travelling down to limerick for evening courses isnt a option. i have good leaving from when i did leave school in 2005 and have a merit in my fetac award from fas. if anyone could help me or point me in the right direction it would be great

thanks adrian:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement