Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2008 Road Death Statistics

Options
  • 05-05-2008 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Anyone have these statistics for this year so far and where we stand this year compared to the same date in previous years ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,324 ✭✭✭✭Esel

No figures, but the figures are going down in real terms. Many more cars on the road, number of deaths not increasing pro-rata.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Have to factor in the extra day due to a leap year in 2008 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Yesterdays Tribune :

"ROAD deaths have dropped by over 40% in the last two months with Ireland now the second most improved country in Europe in terms of road safety.
    Thirty-eight people were killed in road accidents in Ireland in March and April, a massive drop from 2007, when 64 people were killed during the same time period.It is especially good news for road safety campaigners in this country, considering the number of bank holidays - which generally yield multiple road fatalities - during that time period.However, the Road Safety Authority (RSA) is warning that while they are happy with the progress being made, two months is not "a statistical trend".
    Brian Farrell, communications manager for the RSA, is happy with the progress being made and said, "If we keep up this behaviour, we will be among the safest roads in Europe."For the first time, Ireland has entered the EU top 10 best performing countries. We are now ranked at number nine in the table out of 25 countries, compared to our 2005 ranking of 16th.
    Road deaths decreased by 15% between 2005 and 2007.
    This improvement is defying European trends where there has been a big increase in the number of road fatalities over the last few years.
    The fact that Ireland is bucking the trend of poor European road safety is being put down to the introduction of the penalty points system and random breath testing, along with increased awareness and a strong media campaign spearheaded by the RSA.
    The low death toll over March and April - 19 fatalities per month - is in line with the new Road Safety Strategy target of no more than 20 deaths per month."

It seems that despite the criticism, the govt/RSA strategy is working. More cameras, speed checks, random breath checks, penalty points, and the roads will become a safer place.

I get the feeling that the reduction in road deaths is primarily down to the introduction of random breath testing.

Can't be over emphasised how many people die due to drink driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can't deduce anything from these pointless "compared to the same x months last year" comparisons. If you were to compare, say, January and February instead of March and April, the picture looks a little less rosy (59 in 2008 vs. 47 in 2007). You can pick and choose small groups of months like this from various years out of the table on the Garda website and prove pretty much anything you like if you're of a mind to.

Also, just concentrating on the number of deaths, however tragic they may be, blurs the picture. It depends on the number of people in each car, for example, something that is not influenced in any way shape or form by the various initiatives. What about serious injuries as well, do they not count?

I'd much rather see statistics that give the number of incidents split into categories that result in death, serious injury, non-serious injury, no injuries at all. That would give us a much clearer picture of the state of affairs IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Here you go OP:

Deaths are down this month and last month compared to last year.

http://www.garda.ie/statistics98/nroadstats.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Sandwich wrote: »
    More cameras, speed checks
    And you'll duly note that none of these are presently in place and still our road deaths are falling. Why do you own a car that has a top speed of 140 mph and does 0-60 in 8.2 seconds which is actually rather fast if you keep harping on about the "dangers" of speeding? Clear evidence that despite all the hype that speed cameras make no difference to road safety. Of course going slower makes a difference in certain situations. But getting mixed up with that and breaking the speed limit are VERY different things, something the pro speed camera argument simply either cannot or as I suspect refuse to understand. And don't spin the yarn about random breath testing(which I am fully in favour of btw) because that has been in place for well over a year too if I'm not mistaken.

And the penalty points thing that the Turbine(yes I know that the correct name is Tribune:p) is saying is bullsh*t and they know it. When was the last time anyone saw a Guard enforcing any of the rules of the road and giving people well deserved penalty points apart from the money spinner that is speeding(they enforce drink driving too and rightly so but that's it)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Dominated by speeding points yes. But 140000 points issued for other offences is not nothing. And the other offences have not been inforce for as long.

http://www.penaltypoints.ie/points_issued.php

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

E92 wrote: »
    Why do you own a car that has a top speed of 140 mph and does 0-60 in 8.2 seconds which is actually rather fast if you keep harping on about the "dangers" of speeding?

i sincerely doubt he has a car like that or that he actually follows the speed limits so religiously as he indicates in one :rolleyes:. its just so hard to ignore the high % of his posts that include speed limit propaganda though. oh well, whatever floats his boat :D

So we've not established that last year no less than 450,000 penalty points were because of speeding. And the number of penalty point offences for breaking the speed limit at roadworks(which are often laughably low) amounted to 2,160.

So 452,770 out of 592,722 penalty point offences were for.......speeding.

In other words, 76.4% of all penalty point offences are for speeding.

Says a lot about the Guards' attitude to enforcing the rule of the road, doesn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

It seems that despite the criticism, the govt/RSA strategy is working. More cameras, speed checks, random breath checks, penalty points, and the roads will become a safer place.

More cameras & speed checks?????? That is a new one to me. Do you have figures?

D_murph wrote: »
    i sincerely doubt he has a car like that or that he actually follows the speed limits so religiously as he indicates in one :rolleyes:.
    He said in a previous post that he has a Volvo S60 2.0T, which is as fast as I said it was last night;)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

I am actually suprized of the figures,

I am from Finland and if I compare the speeds and roads you have here, it is really suprize that there are not more deaths, narrow roads and really high speeds, but I think things that help are traffic culture, that is much more forgiving for driver errors (people give space, polite drivers etc) and much better and newer cars.

It is a big difference if you crash some modern car like Yaris and not in some car made in 80s,

But the speeds specially in country roads what people drive here are quite amazing:) but somehow you get used those after some driving experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

Irelands slightly higher than EU average road deaths can be attributed to
    1. Massive network of narrow hedged country roads. This is just a feature of our settlement heritage
    2. Large amount of busy single lane carriageway

Most road deaths I here about in Ireland are single car late night jobs on the backroads and then dodgy overtaking on the main roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

only 275 road deaths this year. It's promising progress, but lots more to do. down 20% on last year. and the first time since 1961 that we have had less than 300 deaths in any one year. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

100gSoma wrote: »
    only 275 road deaths this year. It's promising progress, but lots more to do. down 20% on last year. and the first time since 1961 that we have had less than 300 deaths in any one year. :)

thats not bad. it used to be over 400 a while back in the bad old days.they just need to sort out the roads now and forget about the speeding cameras & mandatory GPS tracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Yet the road deaths have gone down without any of these being in place.
    I do 30k+ miles a year, and I have seen none of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

It is good to see the numbers coming down but will the RSA be able to resist congratulating themselves? Standard practice seems to be for the powers that be to take the credit when numbers go down but blame everyone else when the numbers rise.

Improved roads (e.g. main inter city route Dublin-Cork is almost all motorway now) & cars as well as general driver behaviour has the biggest impact on numbers.

McSpud wrote: »
    It is good to see the numbers coming down but will the RSA be able to resist congratulating themselves? Standard practice seems to be for the powers that be to take the credit when numbers go down but blame everyone else when the numbers rise.

Bang on. I can see it now. Gay Byrne grinning like a cheshire cat, taking all the praise.

The decrease in deaths IMO, has very little to do with speed checks at all.

With about 3 hours left in December, the December death toll stands at 11. This is far lower than any other month for the past 7 years and a completely statistical quirk for the month of December which usually has high death rates due to icey roads and drunken drivers.

Anyone give any insight into such a low December figure. Is it just luck ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Road deaths down this is good news for all people but before heaping praise on the RSA and our incompetent Government we must look at the reasons.

• Almost half a million people have got penalty points and this leads to a change of attitude.
    • Ireland is firmly in recession so half the mental driving by trucks, lorries, and building contractors has now ceased, where I live from 6.30am to 10am to and from 4.30pm to 7.00pm saw the road a virtual death trap, it has quietened alot since this time last year. There is almost 300,000 on the dole and alot of them are not driving everyday as they can't afford to and have nowhere to go to begin with.
    • Oil prices reached $147/barrel and almost €1.50/litre for Petrol and Diesel this led to a large reduction in the amount of driving done overall coupled with the Recession.
    • A sizeable proportion of Eastern Europeans have now left Ireland and taken their Russian Roulette driving home with them, they made up a large portion of deaths and caused a lot of accidents, If the figures were available you'd see that foreigners made up less casualties than the previous years.
    • Alot of people are driving in stronger better built cars and as the years go by I'd say well over 90% of cars are now post 2000 or 2001 reg which gave greater safety and protection in an accident. With the new VRT rules it is now possible to buy faster cars eg. 2.2Tdi cheaper leading to safer faster overtaking manouveres compared to the usual 1.6 "dead" cars of previous.
    • Our roads are getting better slowly, we have seen many miles of new Motorway opened this year and improvements in other areas.

All in this means that with less people on the roads to begin with and the roads getting better the chances of an accident decreases and with better built stronger cars also I'd say survivability rates would also be up, however horrendous injuries would be too as people who might normally be killed would now survive only to be crippled or vegetative state for life.
    The attitude change brought about by RSA adverts and random breath testing have also helped, however in my opinion the biggest effect on roads deaths has been the recession and less mental mad fast lifestyle.

• Advertisement

mumhaabu wrote: »
    Road deaths down this is good news for all people but before heaping praise on the RSA and our incompetent Government we must look at the reasons.

• Almost half a million people have got penalty points and this leads to a change of attitude.
    • Ireland is firmly in recession so half the mental driving by trucks, lorries, and building contractors has now ceased, where I live from 6.30am to 10am to and from 4.30pm to 7.00pm saw the road a virtual death trap, it has quietened alot since this time last year. There is almost 300,000 on the dole and alot of them are not driving everyday as they can't afford to and have nowhere to go to begin with.
    • Oil prices reached $147/barrel and almost €1.50/litre for Petrol and Diesel this led to a large reduction in the amount of driving done overall coupled with the Recession.
    • A sizeable proportion of Eastern Europeans have now left Ireland and taken their Russian Roulette driving home with them, they made up a large portion of deaths and caused a lot of accidents, If the figures were available you'd see that foreigners made up less casualties than the previous years.
    • Alot of people are driving in stronger better built cars and as the years go by I'd say well over 90% of cars are now post 2000 or 2001 reg which gave greater safety and protection in an accident. With the new VRT rules it is now possible to buy faster cars eg. 2.2Tdi cheaper leading to safer faster overtaking manouveres compared to the usual 1.6 "dead" cars of previous.
    • Our roads are getting better slowly, we have seen many miles of new Motorway opened this year and improvements in other areas.
    All in this means that with less people on the roads to begin with and the roads getting better the chances of an accident decreases and with better built stronger cars also I'd say survivability rates would also be up, however horrendous injuries would be too as people who might normally be killed would now survive only to be crippled or vegetative state for life.
    The attitude change brought about by RSA adverts and random breath testing have also helped, however in my opinion the biggest effect on roads deaths has been the recession and less mental mad fast lifestyle.

I think the banning of learner drivers from our roads without a qualified driver may have had a benefit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

PCros wrote: »
    Here you go OP:

Deaths are down this month and last month compared to last year.

http://www.garda.ie/statistics98/nroadstats.html

The Garda website really is utter ****e. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I think the banning of learner drivers from our roads without a qualified driver may have had a benefit too.

The thing is most of them are still on the roads, however all that has disappeared is the "L Plates", the amount of L plates around now compared to a while back is tiny, they are still there just we can't spot them any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

275 lives lost on our roads last year is still deplorable. Better than 400 yes but still shocking for such a small country.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

With about 3 hours left in December, the December death toll stands at 11. This is far lower than any other month for the past 7 years and a completely statistical quirk for the month of December which usually has high death rates due to icey roads and drunken drivers.

Anyone give any insight into such a low December figure. Is it just luck ?

Poverty. Theres been nearly nobody out and about drinking compared to previous years = less drunk drivers, less drunken pedestrians to get hit by cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I agree, there has been a hugh fall off in RTAs, especially in the last year, I agree with a lot of posters that the fall off has been multifactorial.

Education and the removal of the learner drivers.
    Engineering and the improvements in our national routes.
    Enforcement of speeding laws and seatbelt rules.

I hope that in future more effort will be put into protecting pedestrians/cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

towel401 wrote: »
    thats not bad. it used to be over 400 a while back in the bad old days.they just need to sort out the roads now and forget about the speeding cameras & mandatory GPS tracking.

It was over 600 a year in the 70s and consider the number of drivers back then.

The biggest fall in the last year was pedestrians and passengers who between then acccounted for about 60 fewer deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Anyone know the figures for road crashes? It would be interesting to see if there has been an increase in survivability due to safer cars on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

bazz26 wrote: »
    275 lives lost on our roads last year is still deplorable. Better than 400 yes but still shocking for such a small country.
    Its actually pretty normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Bad start to 2009. 3 killed in Tipp
    Three boys aged 14,16 and 17 were fatally injured. Two were pronounced dead at the scene and another boy was later pronounced dead at Nenagh General Hospital.

The other two occupants, a 16 year old girl and a 15 year old boy, were taken to the Mid Western General Hospital in Limerick where their condition was described as serious.

Advertisement