Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Preposed plan to eliminate cars from Dublin city ctr.

Options
  • 05-05-2008 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I was reading in RTE on line this morning that a plan is being proposed to close off much of Dublin city centre to public traffic permanently and only allowing taxis and busses access. Will this work? How will couriers and those delivering supplies during the day? residents in the city center that need to move about will suffer. They also plan to introduce another 350 extra buses belching out diesel fumes every ten minutes. The plan could be on the cards by April next year. :eek:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0505/dublin.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I was reading in RTE on line this morning that a plan is being proposed to close off much of Dublin city centre to public traffic permanently and only allowing taxis and busses access. Will this work? How will couriers and those delivering supplies during the day? residents in the city center that need to move about will suffer.

I was going to say it's only three streets they are cutting off, but could they have picked worse ones than O'Connell Street, Westmoreland Street and Dame Street? That could choke the city.
    They also plan to introduce another 350 extra buses belching out diesel fumes every ten minutes.

To suggest that introducing more buses is anything but a good idea is ridiculous. Many people would gladly leave the car at home if an acceptable means of public transport was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I welcome this idea. I doubt the car park owners on those streets will though.

Couriers will be uinaffected I presume. The same as on Grafton Street etc.

Advertisement