Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what program do i run the cd in to activate my broadband

Options
  • 05-05-2008 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

im using a mac and its not recognising which application to run the broadband cd in, anyone know which one i use, im using a macbook with os x 10.5.2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Tell us what supplier and model of Modem it is?

There are at least a dozen technologies and 30 or 40 different modems in use.

Is it Cable, Metro, Breeze, Ripwave, Digiweb Wireles or DSL/ADSL? (No SW needed, just set up your ethernet, exact steps depend on service).

Is it O2/3/Vodaphone Mobile Internet?

You may have to use dialup or someone else's broadband to download Mac OS drivers. But without knowing which supplier, product and modem no-one can advise.

Mostly the CDs are for Windows. Even with Windows many products do not need anything installed, or work better with download than what is on a CD.

nothing like manual.pdf or readme.txt on the CD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Venomspider

sorry when i posted i thought this was just for eircom broadband, its 2mb 20gb download limit a month wireless modem eircom broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

There is no software to run. Just set your network card to automatically get an ip & dns addresses. Sorry, I can't talk you through it as I don't use a mac, but I've done it often enough, its easy. Just look for network settings. You will however have to change the ssid of the wireless network from the default to secure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

No need to run the cd. Pop http://192.168.1.254 into your browser address bar (router connected of course), and configure your settings from there. If you are stuck the Eircom support pages will help you.

i cudnt find a thing in the eircom support, at least not on their site, also will that site allow me to get the wep so i can set up my wireless network

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

firstly make sure the dsl light is on and NOT flashing on the netopia box

later recommend using WPA PSK at least for security

Firstly plug in the yellow cable to your mac and goto 192.168.1.254 in safari

the first page will have a username and password already filled in which you will have to choose connect once

on the main netopia page choose wireless and then set the security to wpa psk and choose a 20 character min password
    set your router name SSID to something different than Eircom12345 etc

the closed system modem is what the most routers call hiding the SSID or non broadcast , recommended to set this closed system mode ( unless using Playstation 3 as glitches finding the router sometimes )

leave block wireless bridging unticked as this firewalls peer to peer networking between connected DHCP clients

save the settings and restart router

while still connected with the yellow cable click on up airport ico on the mac and put in the settings you choose SSID and security type ( WPA personal on mac) and the wpa password ou set in the router

close safari

disconnect the yellow cable and try connecting on wireless

if still problems post back and I can connect remotely to put in the settings for you

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

formatman seems to know what he is talking about ...

formatman wrote: »
    firstly make sure the dsl light is on and NOT flashing on the netopia box

later recommend using WPA PSK at least for security

Firstly plug in the yellow cable to your mac and goto 192.168.1.254 in safari

the first page will have a username and password already filled in which you will have to choose connect once

on the main netopia page choose wireless and then set the security to wpa psk and choose a 20 character min password
    set your router name SSID to something different than Eircom12345 etc

the closed system modem is what the most routers call hiding the SSID or non broadcast , recommended to set this closed system mode ( unless using Playstation 3 as glitches finding the router sometimes )

leave block wireless bridging unticked as this firewalls peer to peer networking between connected DHCP clients

save the settings and restart router

while still connected with the yellow cable click on up airport ico on the mac and put in the settings you choose SSID and security type ( WPA personal on mac) and the wpa password ou set in the router

close safari

disconnect the yellow cable and try connecting on wireless

if still problems post back and I can connect remotely to put in the settings for you

thanx for the advice, only trouble is that my dsl wudnt stay lit guessin that means my modem isnt online just yet right?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

possibly not activated at exchange yet by engineer

ring Eircom in the morning to confirm they have activated

aside from that , plug out all other phones fax and sky box in the house

plug in modem (WITHOUT filter) to the main phone socket or first installed phone socket in the house

if that works then I will explain about the way the filtering needs to be setup

• Advertisement
Advertisement