Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to Italy with ACLE for the summer ??

• 05-05-2008 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey!

I'm just wondering if anyone is traveling to Italy for the summer with ACLE teaching English? My application got accepted and I'd love to know if there are any other Irish people going!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

Just applied to go to Italy with ACLE this summer so I thought I'd revive this thread.

Has anyone else gone before?
    Anyone planning on going in summer 2010?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 _TheLegend_

RibenaHead wrote: »
    Just applied to go to Italy with ACLE this summer so I thought I'd revive this thread.

Has anyone else gone before?
    Anyone planning on going in summer 2010?

your not alone, Im going also, I cant speak italian so i am a bit Worried :rolleyes:

I can't speak much either. All I know is one or two phrases from a phrase book. Sure we'll be grand!!

Which orientation are you going to?

I just got accepted to the May 31st one... delighted!!

Im doing the june 7th orientation, you? I have never been to Italy before, The public transport over there is suppose to be dreadful and we get moved from camp to camp a fair bit, did you here do they cover all the bus's we would have go get to get from camp to camp or is that at our own expence?

They cover all of the costs for travelling between camps. You'll just have to pay to get to Sanremo and to get home from your last camp!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 krazykirky

Hi guys. I have applied for the Acle summer camp on 21st June and I havn't heard back yet. How long did it take for you to hear back after you completed the distance learning course? (killer distance learning course wasn't it???)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 cdlynch13

Do any of you have the details for this? I was thinking of doing a similar programme in Germany, but Italy sounds much better! The German version pays around 850 Euro a month and runs from September to May.

Hey, I think the closing date was the 1st April for the camps which run over June and July, not sure about the camp that starts at the end of August though, have a look on www.acle.org for more details! :D

krazykirky wrote: »
    How long did it take for you to hear back after you completed the distance learning course? (killer distance learning course wasn't it???)

I applied for the May 31st orientation and I heard back within a week of sending in the Distance Learning Course (after they asked me to change a little piece in the lesson plan).

A friend applied for the June 1st course. She sent her DLC in the same day as me but she only heard back from them the day after I got accepted. I'm presuming that they are sorting out the orientations in the order that they'll happen...
    krazykirky wrote: »
    killer distance learning course wasn't it???
    YES!!!

No way what did they make you change? Jeez theyre really taking the whole application process seriously!
    How long are you going for then?
    How many pages did your distance learning course end up being?

• Advertisement

I just had to add another activity to my lesson plan in which the children were moving and speaking...

I've said I'll teach for 6 weeks, you?

Think the DLC was 13 pages, plus the song lyrics

yeah mine was about the same, 12-13 pages!

I have said I will teach for 5 weeks after orientation on the 21st June.
    I'm so excited, I really hope I get a place. :o

Fingers crossed for you! There's so much work involved in the DLC, that I'd hope anyone who takes the time to fill it in, gets to work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 traversa

Hi, I just found this thread now.
    I'm going to the June 7th Orientation also.....very excited although a little nervous.
    The DLC definitely was tough, and they asked me to add in an extra song before they accepted me so they seem to be going through the applications quite thoroughly.
    TheLegend - where are you from? Would be great to know of someone before heading over! :)

Congrats on getting accepted! Not too long to go now...

This is a fantastic free podcast to learn Italian - the first 10 or 20 lessons will teach you all of the basics http://radiolingua.com/shows/italian/my-daily-phrase-italian/

traversa wrote: »
    Hi, I just found this thread now.
    I'm going to the June 7th Orientation also.....very excited although a little nervous.
    The DLC definitely was tough, and they asked me to add in an extra song before they accepted me so they seem to be going through the applications quite thoroughly.
    TheLegend - where are you from? Would be great to know of someone before heading over! :)

hey traversa, got some bad news, they didnt hire me, they asked me to resubmit my songs on the lesson plan, I love a laugh so I sent in, kings of leon sex on fire, and that birday sex song :D those italians have no sense of humour, anyway I got offered a job as an english teacher for italians with International Quest instead, congrats on getting the job, I was very let down when they told me "not this time" because I had spent weeks doing work for the overall application process :o

I love a laugh so I sent in, kings of leon sex on fire, and that birday sex song :D
    I was very let down when they told me "not this time" because I had spent weeks doing work for the overall application process :o

Seems like a contradiction to me. Why would you send in two "joke" songs when you spent weeks preparing for it?

Well I personally didnt think they would mind a sense of humour, but I didnt mind anyway, I have been teaching french students over here in Ireland english the last few months and have dont the TEFL course already last year. so I have a ton of cash saved up for the summer, I had applied to 6 language summer camps got offered a job in 5 of them, I had to narrow it down to one for the summer, so I done a fair bit of research into all of them, theres no point ringing the company and asking them what there camps are like as there obviously just going to talk it up, so I got in contact with previous camp leaders, they told me a lot of info and some shocking news about ACLE, so I had my mind made up before they turned me down that i was already going to work for someone else, but i have to say i was disapointed with the reply that they sent me back too my "joke email", I was expecting a detailed humourious mail of why I wasnt suitable but infact got a very bland reply. anyhow, plenty morefish in the pond ;)

Ah fair enough...
    I got in contact with previous camp leaders, they told me a lot of info and some shocking news about ACLE, so I had my mind made up before they turned me down that i was already going to work for someone else

What did you hear from previous camp leaders that put you off? I've been in contact with tutors from previous years too and I haven't heard any really bad horror stories!

I am very intersested in what you heard from previous camp leaders? Were these the references they put on the website to contact or how did u get in contact with them?! Thats a pity that I wont know you there but congrats on getting the other jobs! :-)

Thanks RibenaHead for the link.....will have to get a move on to get some phrases learnt before I go over!

• Advertisement

<mod snip> remember to not take anything to heart, just because someone else had a bad experience doesnt mean you will also,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 getyourfolkon

Hey guys Im going to apply for ACLE for Summer 2011, I wish to attend the first orientation (31st May) but theres no application form online, do you know where I can get one from or do I have to wait for it to be posted online?

Also whats the DLC thing about? What all did you folk have to do for it?

Oh and if you know of any other camps like this in Europe I'd be grateful to know what they are!

Also whats the DLC thing about? What all did you folk have to do for it?
    I'd say the forms will be online after Christmas. They appear to be working on changing the website around a bit. I didn't apply 'til Easter this year and still got a place. The deadline wasn't until April 1st.

The DLC is the "Distance Learning Course." It involves thinking of games/songs that you can use to teach certain grammatical structures/tenses as well as writing a lesson plan. You also have to give examples of sentences with certain points of grammar. It takes a bit of time but if you search any TEFL or ESL sites you'll find plenty of ideas and examples online. It's not too difficult, just really, really time-consuming.

Also, now that I have been there, I can definitely recommend it to anyone who's willing to put some work in and be flexible. It's unreal fun and you get to meet a load of people, get spoiled rotten by your host families, see the beautiful scenery and eat the best food of your life. On the other side, however, it's really tiring and can be a bit lonely at times. Emotionally, the lows can be very low but the highs are so frequent and intense that they block out all of the negatives.

I worked for 6 weeks over my two months there and LOVED the experience. There were a few cons but the pros completely outweighed them. If you want a full and in-depth description, read my blog here!

Everyone who goes has a different experience. That's the nature of working with ACLE - variety. The camps can be tiny or huge, set on a playing field, in a school, in a hotel, by the sea, on a mountain. You could be working with one tutor or eleven! Every camp has a different dynamic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Are there any other English teaching opportunities in Italy. I did a summer camp in Spain before and like the one above it was pretty intense in terms of not having much down time. However, on the other hand you don't have too much time to be getting lonely etc as you are so busy. I wouldn't mind seeing some of Italy. I have taught Italian kids in Ireland and they certainly have plenty to say for themselves and seemed like a decent bunch to teach. I wouldn't mind just doing a month and then having some time to travel around. Any ideas would be great.

RibenaHead has explained everything really but I thought I would also reasure you. I was with ACLE for 2 months last summer and I had a ball. There were definitly ups and downs but like ribenahead said the ups outway the downs by far. I plan on going back to Italy this summer again because I had so much fun. I then plan on using that as a starting point and income(!!) for travelling the rest of Europe as I regretted not doing it last summer!

I applied around april last year too and was accepted. The DLC is tough and you need to get your thinking cap on to come up with a variety of different ideas but the internet has some great sites to help. You need to be willing to work hard though because it is very tiring(as it is with any form of working with children!) but you also need to keep up the energy levels for the kids because ACLE's philosophy is all about teaching through song/ games / and just basic fun!

I would recommend ACLE to everyone....I know when I go back this summer again that my expereinces will all be completely different again to last year but I have no doubt they will be just as enjoyable!

Tigerandahalf I am sorry I dont know any other camps around Europe as ACLE was my first but like I said I would definitly recommend it to anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 frenchman

Anyone doing it this year? I just got accepted and have my flights booked to head out for the 30th May orientation. Looking forward to it but also a bit nervous. Would be great to hear from others going out this summer.

My housemate is going as a returning tutor this year.

You'll love it, frenchman! Such a great experience! How long are you going for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 grace09

Hi! Im working with ACLE this summer, going on the June 6th orientation! I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to pack? And should I bring a backpack or a suitcase??! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 christina89

hey, just got the job, can't wait! is anyone going to the Paestum orientation on the 20th June?

• Advertisement

Congrats grace09 and christina89, I'm sure you'll have a blast. Join one of the facebook groups - I think there's one called "ACLE tutors 2011" or something like that. I did that last year and met up with a few people in Nice Airport.
    grace09 wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to pack? And should I bring a backpack or a suitcase??! Thanks!

I'd advise a backpack - they're easier to manage on trains. There are lots of stairs in train stations and backpacks are less awkward that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 e_tunley89

Hi,
    I am going to the orientation on the 20th too! Where are you coming from? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bittersweet16

Hey everyone, I know it's an old thread but I was wondering if anyone is applying for ACLE for summer 2013?

Just sent in my Distance Learning Course, now really nervous and hoping it's accepted! I really want to do this!

Hi bittersweet16. Well done for applying. The DLC is pretty time-consuming. I hope you get to go. I would still recommend it after two summers. I'm living in Italy now and I never think that would have happened had I not worked for ACLE before. It's such a great experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

Hey guys. My sister and i have completed a 120hr online TEFL course in the last few weeks. I have been looking up the ACLE summer camps and am seriously thinking of applying. i have heard great things about it. The only thing i am really worried about is we don't have much experience working with children. I am currently working in retail and my sister a dental nurse. We are planning on finishing our jobs though and just going for it if we get it.

Can anyone give us any more advice on the application process,its seems so detailed and thorough,its actually putting me off a bit to be honest.

it asks for pictures of you working with kids,of crafts you made etc etc and i really don't have any as such.

I know we probably have slim chance of getting it but i'm going to give it a go anyways!

any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Hi amy85,

If you're happy to work with kids and to jump around singing and dancing and making a fool of yourself, then go for it! I can't sing very well but I've led plenty of songs, done ridiculous sketches and been pie-d in the face. As long as you're willing to have a laugh, you'll enjoy it!

The application takes a long time and is quite detailed but use Google for some inspiration and you should be fine!

They teach you all you need to know for camps (teaching ideas, songs, games, etc.) at the orientation week so you'll feel well-prepared for camps.

I've worked with several people who aren't from teaching backgrounds and who got on just fine!

• Advertisement

RibenaHead wrote: »
    Hi amy85,

If you're happy to work with kids and to jump around singing and dancing and making a fool of yourself, then go for it! I can't sing very well but I've led plenty of songs, done ridiculous sketches and been pie-d in the face. As long as you're willing to have a laugh, you'll enjoy it!

The application takes a long time and is quite detailed but use Google for some inspiration and you should be fine!

They teach you all you need to know for camps (teaching ideas, songs, games, etc.) at the orientation week so you'll feel well-prepared for camps.

I've worked with several people who aren't from teaching backgrounds and who got on just fine!

Thanks for that ribenahead. we are going to give it a shot anyways! nothing ventured,nothing gained!!! i am just going to fill out the application form to the best of my ability and anything i cant do i might just send them an email regarding it. ie photos of working with kids and that!! might as well be honest from the start. i was looking back over the previous posts,do you have a blog? i clicked on it but it wouldn't come up!

are you living in Italy now? how are you liking it?

Yep, you can see my blog here. For some reason you can't click on the main page - it won't show up. You can click on "older/newer post" or click on individual ones from the archive. The post "E Finalmente" from 2010 pretty much sums up the first summer.

Yes, I'm living in the north of Italy now. I have a teaching job here (I'm a primary school teacher by trade!) and love it! It's such a beautiful country in so many ways!

Hi RibenaHead,

Just read through your blog - interesting read!

They sent back the DLC to me with around 4 corrections to make, I sent it back today with the alterations.... back to waiting for their reply! I so want to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Marie212

Hey guys. I'm thinking about working in a summer camp this summer somewhere in Europe. I've just discovered ACLE and it seems a pretty good option. I might apply for it :) Can anyone recommend a reputable online TEFL course?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Rebecca.Baker

Hey guys I'm in the process of applying for ACLE :) Thinking of going to the 27th of May orientation? Anyone else going on their own?

• Advertisement

Rebecca I would be going by myself too but hoping to go to June orientations

Aww pity but very good :) I think a lot of people go by themselves i'd say!?

Also did anyone have trouble e-mailing their visual material I kept recieving a error message back :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lreel1

Hey all just applied for the ACLE camp in Italy I'll probably be doing the orientation week in June and travelling onto camp from that. I'll be travelling from Dublin to San Remo on my own so if any ones applying around this time give me a shout! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 kaislinn

So I'm a bit of a last-minute-Larry, and only filling out my application now. I know I'm pretty late, but sure there's no harm in trying anyway :) I was just wondering about the Italian Work Visa question on the application form, is this necessary? Or is it just an extra, like having a first aid certificate or something? Sorry if this is a ridiculous question!

Hey kaislinn, I would'nt worry about it as I just applied recently too. I dont have an Italian work visa either, so I just ignored that part aswell lol..

ya i don't think its necessary to have a work visa if your an EU citizen. I applied for it as well and started the DLC today. My brain is FRIED after doing a few hours of it. Its so time consuming and great hard as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BriPoster

I've applied for the May 27th orientation. Haven't heard back yet, but I'm really hoping I get accepted!

Hey BriPoster Ive also applied for the May 27th orientation! Still waiting too!! Fingers Crossed :)

Hey just wondering as im picking dates now, around how long are you guys applying to stay and teach for? starting to get excited now lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement