Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to Italy with ACLE for the summer ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 e_tunley89

Hi,
    I am going to the orientation on the 20th too! Where are you coming from? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bittersweet16

Hey everyone, I know it's an old thread but I was wondering if anyone is applying for ACLE for summer 2013?

Just sent in my Distance Learning Course, now really nervous and hoping it's accepted! I really want to do this!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

Hi bittersweet16. Well done for applying. The DLC is pretty time-consuming. I hope you get to go. I would still recommend it after two summers. I'm living in Italy now and I never think that would have happened had I not worked for ACLE before. It's such a great experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

Hey guys. My sister and i have completed a 120hr online TEFL course in the last few weeks. I have been looking up the ACLE summer camps and am seriously thinking of applying. i have heard great things about it. The only thing i am really worried about is we don't have much experience working with children. I am currently working in retail and my sister a dental nurse. We are planning on finishing our jobs though and just going for it if we get it.

Can anyone give us any more advice on the application process,its seems so detailed and thorough,its actually putting me off a bit to be honest.

it asks for pictures of you working with kids,of crafts you made etc etc and i really don't have any as such.

I know we probably have slim chance of getting it but i'm going to give it a go anyways!

any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Hi amy85,

If you're happy to work with kids and to jump around singing and dancing and making a fool of yourself, then go for it! I can't sing very well but I've led plenty of songs, done ridiculous sketches and been pie-d in the face. As long as you're willing to have a laugh, you'll enjoy it!

The application takes a long time and is quite detailed but use Google for some inspiration and you should be fine!

They teach you all you need to know for camps (teaching ideas, songs, games, etc.) at the orientation week so you'll feel well-prepared for camps.

I've worked with several people who aren't from teaching backgrounds and who got on just fine!

• Advertisement

RibenaHead wrote: »
    Hi amy85,

If you're happy to work with kids and to jump around singing and dancing and making a fool of yourself, then go for it! I can't sing very well but I've led plenty of songs, done ridiculous sketches and been pie-d in the face. As long as you're willing to have a laugh, you'll enjoy it!

The application takes a long time and is quite detailed but use Google for some inspiration and you should be fine!

They teach you all you need to know for camps (teaching ideas, songs, games, etc.) at the orientation week so you'll feel well-prepared for camps.

I've worked with several people who aren't from teaching backgrounds and who got on just fine!

Thanks for that ribenahead. we are going to give it a shot anyways! nothing ventured,nothing gained!!! i am just going to fill out the application form to the best of my ability and anything i cant do i might just send them an email regarding it. ie photos of working with kids and that!! might as well be honest from the start. i was looking back over the previous posts,do you have a blog? i clicked on it but it wouldn't come up!

are you living in Italy now? how are you liking it?

Yep, you can see my blog here. For some reason you can't click on the main page - it won't show up. You can click on "older/newer post" or click on individual ones from the archive. The post "E Finalmente" from 2010 pretty much sums up the first summer.

Yes, I'm living in the north of Italy now. I have a teaching job here (I'm a primary school teacher by trade!) and love it! It's such a beautiful country in so many ways!

Hi RibenaHead,

Just read through your blog - interesting read!

They sent back the DLC to me with around 4 corrections to make, I sent it back today with the alterations.... back to waiting for their reply! I so want to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Marie212

Hey guys. I'm thinking about working in a summer camp this summer somewhere in Europe. I've just discovered ACLE and it seems a pretty good option. I might apply for it :) Can anyone recommend a reputable online TEFL course?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Rebecca.Baker

Hey guys I'm in the process of applying for ACLE :) Thinking of going to the 27th of May orientation? Anyone else going on their own?

• Advertisement

Rebecca I would be going by myself too but hoping to go to June orientations

Aww pity but very good :) I think a lot of people go by themselves i'd say!?

Also did anyone have trouble e-mailing their visual material I kept recieving a error message back :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lreel1

Hey all just applied for the ACLE camp in Italy I'll probably be doing the orientation week in June and travelling onto camp from that. I'll be travelling from Dublin to San Remo on my own so if any ones applying around this time give me a shout! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 kaislinn

So I'm a bit of a last-minute-Larry, and only filling out my application now. I know I'm pretty late, but sure there's no harm in trying anyway :) I was just wondering about the Italian Work Visa question on the application form, is this necessary? Or is it just an extra, like having a first aid certificate or something? Sorry if this is a ridiculous question!

Hey kaislinn, I would'nt worry about it as I just applied recently too. I dont have an Italian work visa either, so I just ignored that part aswell lol..

ya i don't think its necessary to have a work visa if your an EU citizen. I applied for it as well and started the DLC today. My brain is FRIED after doing a few hours of it. Its so time consuming and great hard as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BriPoster

I've applied for the May 27th orientation. Haven't heard back yet, but I'm really hoping I get accepted!

Hey BriPoster Ive also applied for the May 27th orientation! Still waiting too!! Fingers Crossed :)

Hey just wondering as im picking dates now, around how long are you guys applying to stay and teach for? starting to get excited now lol

• Advertisement

Hey Ireel1 :) I said the 27th of May to the 27th of July but there probably wont be that many weeks work but shur may as well stay as long as week can away from the Irish weather :)

Anyone get offered a place yet? :D

Ah I've just been rejected! So gutted, considering I spent so long on the application :(

Well it's their loss, I know I would have been a fantastic English tutor

• Registered Users Posts: 1 niamhpearson

Just got accepted for the orientation starting on June 17th! I'm going to fly out from Dublin to Nice on June 15th or 16th and then home again on July 29th. Very nervous about it all but excited! Have no Italian, tefl and am not from a teaching background so definitely throwing myself in at the deep end.. any tips and tricks at all would be appreciated! Also if anyone else is heading around this time, please let me know!

Anyone heading to the June 2nd orientation? Flying from Cork on June 1st to Nice? Anyone else?

Hey hey, anyone recieve an email stating that it can be near the 15th of May before you find out if you've been accepted or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 taylormoon

Hey! Anyone heard anything about this summer? Have been waiting for a reply for about 6 weeks now, got a few emails at the beginning saying it would be another week or so and then last week saying May 15th....it's a pure joke to be honest, keeping people waiting this long!

Hey Taylormoon. I'm in the exact same position I emailed them to ask firstly they told me it would be the 15th of may before they let me know. Then emailed me to say most of the hiring is done in April. I'm getting impatient waiting as my friends are after booking radio ones big weekend and hols and I'm stuck not knowing what's happening with my summer, its a bit of a joke. Have you heard anything lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 taylormoon

lreel1 wrote: »
    Hey Taylormoon. I'm in the exact same position I emailed them to ask firstly they told me it would be the 15th of may before they let me know. Then emailed me to say most of the hiring is done in April. I'm getting impatient waiting as my friends are after booking radio ones big weekend and hols and I'm stuck not knowing what's happening with my summer, its a bit of a joke. Have you heard anything lately?

Oh it's a complete farce like! I've heard nothing since that email saying we could hear anytime between now and May 15th... I think I'm gonna start sending out CVs here just in case :(
    I know a few people who were hired a few weeks ago, but only 3 out of about 30 from my year who applied.
    We were thinking of emailing at the weekend to ask what's going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Gillbean

Hi!

I think I'm in the same boat as you guys Ireel1 and taylormoon!
    Have ye heard anything since?
    Do you think the fact that it is so late means we are most likely NOT going to be offered a place?

Advertisement