Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

first sunbed session today!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭idunnoutellme

well i wasnt posting the article to show who makes money out of who. obviously pro suntan and anti suntan companies make billions either way as there are plenty of pessimistic and optimistic people on the issue.

it actually has not beein proven that passive smoking is as bad as smoking itself...i should know i have an insurance background. it is a very grey area. and not the topic of the discussion.

and as i said i'm not kidding myself there are no dangers. am i not making myself clear when i say its ok in moderation.
    one sun holiday a year is not going to cause you skin cancer unless your skin is ultra sensitive i dunno. and when on a sunholiday your out in the sun for 2 weeks straight. and thats what you pay money for!!!
    and if your gonna turn around and say your hiding under a sun umbrella for the entire 2 weeks...well your just not getting your money's worth of healthy sunshine cos you can hide from the sun all ya want in ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

and as i said i'm not kidding myself there are no dangers. am i not making myself clear when i say its ok in moderation.
    How do you know what is moderate use though? You are assuming that 10 sessions x 8mins is moderate. But how can you measure that?
    one sun holiday a year is not going to cause you skin cancer unless your skin is ultra sensitive i dunno. and when on a sunholiday your out in the sun for 2 weeks straight. and thats what you pay money for!!!
    and if your gonna turn around and say your hiding under a sun umbrella for the entire 2 weeks...well your just not getting your money's worth of healthy sunshine cos you can hide from the sun all ya want in ireland.
    Sitting in the sun is fine as long as you use an appropriately high factor regardless of whether you are pale or not. But that is a different issue to sunbeds.
    Essentially the sun bed industry is completely unregulated so there are no compulsary guidelines for companies to follow regarding the strength of rays etc therefore you have no way of knowing what is moderate.

Contradiction in terms.
    You haven't said anything about your skintype. For typical irish skin 8-10 sessions a year is asking for it.
    By uk guidelines they shouldn't even let someone with my skin on a sunbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

ROTFL.... :rolleyes:
    Honestly, if you could see 10 years down the line and see the damage you are doing to your skin you would stop sitting in the sun and using sun beds. Two friends of mine - both very sallow, both loved to sit in the sun and get great tans. I was always envious. Now, one has stopped completely as she noticed she had pigmentation marks on her face as soon as she gets any sun at all and now wears sun block. The other girl has very very bad pigmentation all over her face and upper body. We are all early 30's. I have none thankfully but I did realise in my early 20's that I just don't tan. I had a UV test done on my face a few years ago and I'm very lucky as there is no sun damage. Two women, in their mid 30's, had it done just before me. They were laughing about how they love their tans and use beds. Let's just say they weren't laughing when they had their UV tests done. They were told NEVER to sit in the sun again and always wear factor 30+ even in the shade.

firstly im a guy so dont use sunbeds

secondly for the 2,3,4 people you know with problems i bet you know plenty without any problems. if you read the rest of the thread you would see that i said i know some people will have problems even with moderate or short time spent in the sun but the fact of the matter is that the vast majority will not have any problems from being out in the sun.

Again, ROTFL :rolleyes:
    If you educated yourself then you WOULDN'T use sun beds. So to say educate yourself about the risks of cancer and use them anyway is like saying educate yourself about burning your arm if you put it in the fire but then do it regardless.

again,i repeat myself
    this is typical preacher bull. 'you say you know but you dont have the same opinion as me so you obviously dont know at all'.

just because someone has a different opinion to yours does not make it an uneducated one. also being educated on a subject and reading horror stories on the internet and in hello magazine are not the same thing.
    I know someone with terminal cancer, she didn't smoke or sunbathe or do anything high risk but after looking at her struggle to cope/survive for over a year there is no way I would do anything to increase my risks of the dreaded C.

sorry for your friend but if i want to smoke, drink,eat crisps and chocolate or lash on the baby oil and go sunbathing,knowing the risks, i will and i dont know what makes you think you have the right to A)look down on anyone who does B) preach to them that your way to live your life is the best, again royal you nothing personal.

the op asked
    Has anyone else any experience of using the ones in chartbusters? Should i get a base if i use it 4times a week for the next 3wks? oh and was just wondering should i buy a tanning lotion?

everything else including what iv said is off topic and irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

I rant about the dangers of sunbeds and I don't smoke. In fact, I'd say similar things about both - bad for your health, can lead to cancer, and damages your skin leading to premature aging. I grew up in Florida. Tanning is a sport there, and I've seen firsthand the damage that both overexposure to the sun and tanning beds can do to someone. Perhaps you don't know anyone who's had skin cancer in their 20's, but I have. Two of my friend's mothers have died from skin cancer. I know many more who have either had skin cancer or pre cancerous growths that had to be removed. If the OP was truly aware of the dangers, she'd take better care of herself.

I know 2 people who have had skin cancer, one who had breast cancer and someone who died from lung cancer.
    The irony is I also know a lady who kept herself in perfect health never smoked, drank sunbathed and always ate healthy and she got cancer and died.

Everything can kill you these days. the sun will give you skin cancer..yes in some cases. but cigarrettes will give you lung cancer and drink can give you liver cancer but I dont hate at people who drink and smoke. If you want to do something like the OP does and know the risks, then its your decision to go for it.
    If your times up its up. Not everyone who gets cancer did something to 'warrant' it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I know 2 people who have had skin cancer, one who had breast cancer and someone who died from lung cancer.
    The irony is I also know a lady who kept herself in perfect health never smoked, drank sunbathed and always ate healthy and she got cancer and died.

Everything can kill you these days. the sun will give you skin cancer..yes in some cases. but cigarrettes will give you lung cancer and drink can give you liver cancer but I dont hate at people who drink and smoke. If you want to do something like the OP does and know the risks, then its your decision to go for it.
    If your times up its up. Not everyone who gets cancer did something to 'warrant' it.

Of course. We all die at some point. But why do something that raises your risk? And skin cancer is becoming much more popular these days, with tanning back on the rise. It's estimated that up to 50% of Americans who live to see 65 will develop skin cancer. That's a lot of people.
    And I'm not hating on anyone - just pointing out the facts. I don't hate anyone who smokes or tans or drinks. I have friends who do all three. But if someone chooses to ignore what's plainly obvious, then I will judge that as plain ignorance on their part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

And I'm not hating on anyone - just pointing out the facts. I don't hate anyone who smokes or tans or drinks. I have friends who do all three. But if someone chooses to ignore what's plainly obvious, then I will judge that as plain ignorance on their part.

I agree with what you've said, but to take it a step further - if someone chooses to ignore what's plainly obvious, and in fact tries to justify behaviour that is known to be detrimental to their health, then I will judge that as plain ignorance on their part.

My mother is in her mid 50s. Her sister is a decade younger. My mother doesn't sunbathe and might not be terribly careful about always having sunblock on, but if she knows she will be exposed to the sun for a long period she will wear suncream.

Her sister goes to Greece every year on a sunbathing holiday with her friends. If she wears sunblock it's never higher than factor 8. She uses tanning oil when at home in Ireland and gets sunburnt a number of times each year because "that's how you tan". The only part of her body she shades is her face.

Facially, my aunt looks younger than my mother. However her skin has a leathery, wrinkled appearance my mother's doesn't, especially on her chest, shoulders and arms. She finds herself covering up a lot more than she ordinarily would because she doesn't like her skin's appearance.

I often think that people my age never think they're going to be 30, or 40, or 50, and act as though they will always look like they do now. If you fry your skin now, how can you expect it to look good later? Look at how dried out and wrinkled food gets under heat lamps - uv lamps. That's you, on a sunbed. Try, and keep trying, but I can't ever see you reaching justification for that.

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Try, and keep trying, but I can't ever see you reaching justification for that.

coz they are adults and thats what they want to do to their bodies is all the justification you should need. i assume if you suddenly gained control of the world you would instantly ban anyone doing anything that is remotely/possibly damaging to themselves. including going outside in the sun without looking like a lady in dubai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

PeakOutput wrote: »
    including going outside in the sun without looking like a lady in dubai

A number of people have mentioned something along the lines of this - staying covered up, not going out in the sun but what people are saying on this thread isn't that you can't go out in the sun but that sunbeds are not a safe way to tan.

The radiation and UV light used in sundbeds is different to natural sunlight and theres a high level of ignorance in this country to that - 3 mins on a sunbed is the same as sitting in direct sunlight for 20+ mins - I know one girl who goes to 4 different tanning saloons in the one day cus she wants "a quick" tan and was quite suprised when we were listening to the radio and they played the news report about the proposed ban on sunbeds, "O are they not safe?" she goes. Also the staff in chartbusters don't seem to be trained correctly in skin care or basic hygiene from what I've heard about some of them.

• Advertisement

coz they are adults and thats what they want to do to their bodies is all the justification you should need. i assume if you suddenly gained control of the world you would instantly ban anyone doing anything that is remotely/possibly damaging to themselves. including going outside in the sun without looking like a lady in dubai

If someone wants to try to justify something to me, I automatically think I'm entitled to hold an opinion opposite to theirs, otherwise what are they trying to convince me of, and why should I need to be convinced? Just because behaviour cannot be justified using reason doesn't mean someone won't do it. It does mean that I am still entitled to believe it's beyond justification. Am I physically stopping anyone from frying themselves? No. Am I saying I think they're making a stupid choice in choosing to do so? Yes.

You're either small-minded or naive enough to think that because you're a man and you don't use a tanning bed no men do. Perhaps, before pointing fingers, you might look at your own misconceptions.

By the way, what do ladies in Dubai have to do with the topic of sunbeds? Do you think behaviour that is culturally motivated and behaviour that is motivated by a sense of due personal care are one and the same?

Blush_01 wrote: »
    If someone wants to try to justify something to me, I automatically think I'm entitled to hold an opinion opposite to theirs, otherwise what are they trying to convince me of, and why should I need to be convinced? Just because behaviour cannot be justified using reason doesn't mean someone won't do it. It does mean that I am still entitled to believe it's beyond justification. Am I physically stopping anyone from frying themselves? No. Am I saying I think they're making a stupid choice in choosing to do so? Yes.

i never said anywhere your not entitled to your opinion i said your not entitled to get preachy about it with someone who didnt ask your opinion
    You're either small-minded or naive enough to think that because you're a man and you don't use a tanning bed no men do. Perhaps, before pointing fingers, you might look at your own misconceptions.

sorry for not putting the apropriate smilie after my sentence to get get across my tongue being stuck in my cheek
    By the way, what do ladies in Dubai have to do with the topic of sunbeds? Do you think behaviour that is culturally motivated and behaviour that is motivated by a sense of due personal care are one and the same?

do you REALLY think thats what i meant by that or are you just being awkward?

Both. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Sunbeds, like many other things should be used in moderation. Don't be stupid and do short sessions with sun protection, depending on how fair you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Scorpio Girl

lilyella,
    i've never used the beds in chartbusters but have used ones similar.
    you should get a base after a course of sessions.
    i'm starting my course today, i do it once a year and i get a lovely base, i use them every second or third day until the course is finished.
    don't know what to say to you about the creams, i've never used any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I wonder how many people who rant about the dangers of sunbeds are smokers??
    op everything gives you cancer these days if you educate yourself on the subject first and still think its worth the risks(like loads of things in life are) then go for it

The main argument people seem to be putting up her is of course the cancer-skin damage angle. But i dont think any1 here has the right to lecture anyone else, especially when OP said she knows the dangers. After all *god forbid* she could be hit by a bus tomorrow!! Live life as you see fit! ;) Not everyone who uses sunbeds gets skin cancer just like not everyone who smokes gets lung cancer!!!
    Personally I'm on the 2nd weeks of my two week session before hols. I'll deal with any consequences when or if they arise

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Beautybeanie

Yep, that's exactly what two of my friends said before they died agonising deaths from melanoma brought on by the use of sunbeds. One was quite quick - she was dead in three months. The other lingered for 18.

You may be aware of risks but you can't possibly understand the risks if you're willing to subject your body to a higher concentration of UVA and UVB than you'd get out in the sun. This is what constitutes extreme risk. Long established research has proven that using a solarium can increase your risk of a melanoma because sunbeds also emit that UVA and UVB radiation from above and below your bod.

To use the smoking and drugs excuse is foolhardy. Sure, not all get lung cancer but point me to a healthy smoker free of respiratory or related ailments caused by the thousands of toxic chemicals that attempt to make tobacco tasty and you won't be able to.

Sunbeds are banned in countries due to adverse health reactions. It is hoped that Australia will follow suit with new regulations being introduced next month that may well pre-empt an outright ban. At present, under 16s are banned from using them. But under the regulations, people with very fair skin, or skin type one, would not be allowed to use them because of their extreme risk of developing cancer and people under 18 would also be banned, solarium operators would be required to undergo training and educational material would have to be available at solarium centres.

In the State of Victoria alone, over 40 businesses with solariums have been fined for their incorrect use with more to follow. In 2001, successful legal action was taken against a solarium wholesaler Ergoline for their misleading claims that tanning was good for you. (It isn't).

Aside from the above though, a spray tan is not only safer but is cheaper, doesn't damage your skin and lasts longer!

I support anyone's right to use something for whatever reason as they see fit. It's not something I will bag. However, with rights there are also responsibilities and on that score I comment thus because as a member of the community as well as a health worker who is well versed on the damage these things inflict on people, it's a responsibility to voice my concerns about something that should not be available for use at all.

For Clare and Kim. Rest in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I'll deal with any consequences when or if they arise
    Do you reckon that your family/friends/kids will take the same philosophical approach to your demise, if the worst does happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

if OP wants to do sunbeds then let them!...i highly doubt OP gives 2 fcuks wether you dont see the point in doing them!!!

i am going to do some sunbeds in the next few days and then some before cyprus....i do not care if they can give you cancer just like smokers do not care if smoking can give you cancer!!

how many of you moan bags here smoke and/or binge drink?..i rest my case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

marko91 wrote: »
    how many of you moan bags here smoke and/or binge drink?..i rest my case

Truly, the case is closed. And only a good year and a half later as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Case closed as is this thread. marko91 come in here again and call other users moanbags and you wont be here for long. No dragging up zombie threads either.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement