Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths!

Options
  • 05-05-2008 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

I don't know about you but for me when I get a question out, it's one of the greatest feelings in the world! I also get very competitive during part C questions. :rolleyes:

Just wondering how everyone is doing on the Maths course. One of our pass classes has a crap teacher and everyone's worried that they'll fail and fail their leaving cert.

I think Maths is a subject taken for granted. Everyone is more worried about stuff like Irish or Biology!

So, anyone have any good links for revision for the OL and HL courses? Thanks.

Me, personally, I love the line and circle questions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I think it's great getting a question right that no one else in the class. Especially as I always get a pat in the back off about 10 people. Nice way to waste a minute of our valuable class time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

Paper 2 always seems to get me down but I'm really good at Statistics (my highest score on the pres), Linear Programming and Simpsons Rule are alright too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Cost Boy!!

I don't know about you but for me when I get a question out, it's one of the greatest feelings in the world!

I totally agree.
    I much prefer paper one than paper two. I love integration and complex numbers, I dont really like probability that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

agh maths nerds, i love it! keep up the good work guys n gals!:D
    it's worth it in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

The circle is one of the most annoying questions. Easy enough, usually, but so many simultaneous equations, it just takes ages.
    My favourite question is maybe Integration, or Trigonometry, though I like most of them with the exception of Probability. Eugh. Complex Numbers/Matrices also has a special way of never working for me, too. Probably because I can never remember De Moivre's theorem and its properties properly.

As far as the course goes, we've technically done everything except for the option, but there are bits and bobs that need tying up. (Proof by induction, for example, we haven't properly done in class.)

I dunno if maths is taken for granted, though, it seems to me to be one of the subjects people get most worried about... at the start of fifth year we had about 15 in honours maths, now we have 3. People just don't want to risk failing it. That said, a lot of time is wasted in my class planning a fantasy maths trip to Las Vegas. Maybe in pass they're more vocally worried.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

I like everything on the course except co-ordinate geometry and vectors, and I've no choice but to answer a question on one of them. Really need to sit down and learn them some day...

Otherwise I'm all set for maths. Our class is very small (due to lots of people who are good at maths dropping to pass for dodgy reasons) and we finished the course in February, so I've the bulk of the exam papers done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

Me? A maths nerd? No way!

I think you have 3 types of people.
    1) Braniacs who are good at everything! (Maths, Art, English, Bio)
    2) People who are good at logical subjects (sciences) but fail at creative subjects like English essays etc.
    3) People who are creative (english, art, music) but fail at logical (maths, sciences)

I'm in category 3 but I'm getting better at Biology and Maths. The diagrams help a lot though.

I think a lot of people put themselves in 2 or 3 for no good reason. I really do believe most people who are very good arts, languages etc. can be at least decent at maths, science etc. and vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

True, I think it's a matter of determination and/or laziness.

One of my friends is good at English, I mean really good. However, she sucks at Maths. Now since english comes so easy to her and maths doesn't, she believes she is "cat 3" when in fact she only needs to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I think a lot of people put themselves in 2 or 3 for no good reason. I really do believe most people who are very good arts, languages etc. can be at least decent at maths, science etc. and vice versa.
    QFT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

aww man i cant wait to get maths over and done with :(

i failed higher maths last year and have to repeat this year, although i did drop to pass.so this time next month i should just about be walking out of paper 1 and i cant wait.although it is gonna be very weird walking up to school to re-sit my maths exam.but the celebrations will be excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

I'm ok-confident right now for everything except:

All of the geometry (and that's a lot) and almost all of the proofs
    Paper 1 Q5s
    Calculus + the further calculus Q (which is the only place on the paper where I have no choice so I'll want to be nailing it all pretty soon)

I can basically do enough to grab a C/B right now though I'd think, but I intend to work to get an A and enjoy it too. <3

edit: sometimes the probability question is really easy btw I think, and it gives you so much more choice in P2 section A (if you're getting stats and difference equations done), so I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Probability is great but damn hard to get the attempt marks. Its all or nothing most of the time unless you write down what you are doing. i.e. instructions to the examiner.

As for me, we have the course covered but as an earlier poster remarked, complex numbers are evil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

an other maths thread,:pac: ~summary~

Paper 1)
    Q1 = ok
    Q2 = ok
    Q3 = ok
    Q4,5= haven't done them yet
    Q6, Q7 = ok , i like it
    Q8 = love it !!

paper 2)
    Q1) ok
    Q2) ehh..didn't quite that topic..just finished it,does it supposed to be one of the easiest?
    Q3) -.- don't like it
    Q4, Q5, ok..ish
    Q6) haven't done it yet
    Q8) I like it ...

I like maths though i am don't think i am that good at it..for me once something makes sense then i am grand, i get really really annoyed if i don't understand something ...i don't know how to explain that feeling,:o or sometimes i knew how to do a question but i got them wrong because of silly mistakes like signs...and the worst feeling is that haven't got a clue how to do a question...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

Me? A maths nerd? No way!

I think you have 3 types of people.
    1) Braniacs who are good at everything! (Maths, Art, English, Bio)
    2) People who are good at logical subjects (sciences) but fail at creative subjects like English essays etc.
    3) People who are creative (english, art, music) but fail at logical (maths, sciences)

I'm in category 3 but I'm getting better at Biology and Maths. The diagrams help a lot though.

lol :Dthis reminded me of something..one of my teacher said , , like in my school/// there was a girl's home ec exampaper was send back ....they had quires, because it was 'too good' they said she used proper textbook language, it's like she copied it word to word...

then it turned out to be like she had this photographic memory....

as for me, i think i am ok at all subjects but not good at any particular one, how sad :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I'm not sure which paper I prefer. I got exactly the same marks on both papers in my mocks. Weird.

My favourite question is the probability question though. Love it. And my favourite type of question ever is the difference equations question. Oh my god. I love them. Whenever I see one of them on a test I actually smile.

Difference equations annoy me. It's just the same question over and over with different numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Difference equations annoy me. It's just the same question over and over with different numbers.

Exactly :D

Is that why they are called difference equations?? hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Maths is the best thing ever and that's all there is to it.

• Advertisement

Never a truer word spoken!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Mmm i wonder which category am i in .. :D
    lolz me always getting the same % in chemistry and maths, and the same % in Business and economics :D how wierd is that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

I don't find honours maths too hard but applied maths is a cúnt.

Aww... applied maths is really nice once you get to know her. Does your school do it or are you self-teaching / getting a tutor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

A tutor, only started it in sixth year. Never really put that much work into it and i'm regretting it now! Just need to practice questions i spose. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

Parsley wrote: »
    I don't find honours maths too hard but applied maths is a cúnt.
    I'm in exactly the same boat as you..

But on the bright side there's 1 or 2 very easy Qs usually, most part As aren't that hard (though they're only worth 20 ****ing marks, that pisses me off)..
    And the other questions aren't that hard after you practice them.

I love HL maths in comparison. But I think ap maths would be dead in the water and nailed if I had 8 fscking classes of that every week.

Advertisement