Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buy now and vrt it in july???

Options
  • 05-05-2008 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭

Is it possible to buy a car now and vrt it in july?

Would it be possible or dangerous?

Car in question's a very nice 03 C220 CDI
    will save about 1500 euro in the vrt change, enough to buy me a nice set of rims instead of the awful ones that mercedes have on some of their cars:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

123 wrote: »
    Is it possible to buy a car now and vrt it in july?

Hmmmm - interesting thought, as I'm in the market myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

I asked the same question a few weeks ago and was told here that you can do this. Not sure if this is definitely the case or not but i would think you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭123

Seems to be the best choice really no point paying 1500 euro to the government to waste on making spires and assorted sh1t when they could be spent on some nice shiny rims! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

I thought that the new VRT only applies to new cars? As in, first registered after July 08 - am I wrong? Should this be First Registered in ireland?

its first regged in ireland afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I thought that the new VRT only applies to new cars? As in, first registered after July 08 - am I wrong? Should this be First Registered in ireland?

The road tax will be the same for pre-08 cars, but the VRT changes do come into effect.

OP - one thing I've heard some people do is accidentally bring a photocopy of the log book into the VRT office. They get told that they need the original one, and get given a few week's grace to produce it, and they are given some sort of letter or document they can show the Gardai if they are stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

eoin_s wrote: »
    The road tax will be the same for pre-08 cars, but the VRT changes do come into effect.

OP - one thing I've heard some people do is accidentally bring a photocopy of the log book into the VRT office. They get told that they need the original one, and get given a few week's grace to produce it, and they are given some sort of letter or document they can show the Gardai if they are stopped.

NICE! sounds like a plan!

so i could photocopy the logbook and then em... forget :D that i need the original i'll get a few weeks grace to vrt the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Maybe - I've heard that some people get away with it, but generally they do it so they can wait until the beginning of the next month so they save a month's tax. If you bought now, you'd have to keep it going for 2 months, so would be running a higher risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

it's against the law .. somewhat* the same as asking "can I drive without road tax until July"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I wouldn't say it's "dangerous", illegal more like. Then again it's only illegal if you get caught.....like speeding.
    No doubt you will be told here that there is a clamp down, bla, bla, bla. A friend of mine is still driving his car on UK plates & his UK tax ran out in Oct '06. I on the other hand cleared mine the Tuesday after the Sunday I brought mine back. Make sure the car has UK tax for bringing it home through UK. You will be fined otherwise....again assuming you get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

According to the VRT regulations you are supposed to present your imported vehicle for inspection (and payment of VRT) on the next working day following importation.

Now you make of that (with that) what you will ...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

i bought a lexus is200 from england and asked the trader for the logbook he said he had to send it off to the revenue in england but photocopied it for me and said that would be enough to vrt it in ireland,i brought this with me to vrt the car and i was told it wouldnt do so they did give me a signed form incase the garda stopped me saying i was waiting for the logbook to come from england.the logbook didnt come for another 9 weeks so i think you would get away with it as id say it happens alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I don't think it is good practice to advise fellow boardsies to commit borderline tax fraud.

(Yes ..this is Ireland and everybody does it ...but I'll close this thread anyway)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement