Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fm104's Playlist - A bit of a joke?

• 05-05-2008 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Coming home from a gig last night, had 104 on and what do I hear... Alvin and the chipmonks song!!! Now, far be it for me to suggest what should be on their playlists or not, but for Dublins 'HIT MUSIC' station, is this not taking the piss a bit??

I suppose it is grand if you are 8 yrs old or in that age bracket, and I doubt that there would be many 8 year olds listening at 4am, but for their target audience of 15 - 34's... What the hell?!!! Very disappointed and surprised at the music programmer for this, especially when you consider it was just randomly played and was not even part of a competition. And listeners had to suffer this tripe for about a minute or so.

Dublin's 'HIT MUSIC' station... With alvin and the chipmonks on the playlist... I think not!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Culture2007

I very much doubt Alvin & The Chipmunks are on the FM104 playlist. It was probably a case of the DJ joking and having fun. It was at 4am, hardly the peak audience, so why not be random? Are you really that "disappointed" that a radio station played a clip of a cartoon song? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭MaltHouse Mouse

I listen to the likes of 104, 98 & Spin for a current format, not cartoon songs. If I wanted to listen to animation theme's, I would bring a cd with me or listen into the Disney channel!!!

As for the clip, 10 seconds I'm sure is grand, but for a minute! As I have stated, it was not even for a comp or anything like it, so why go off format and play it??

If Andy Preston or Barry Dunne got a bit bored during their show, I'm sure we would not find them dropping the 'he-man' or 'pink panther' theme into their show, for a laugh, whenever they felt like it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I listen to the likes of 104, 98 & Spin for a current format, not cartoon songs. If I wanted to listen to animation theme's, I would bring a cd with me or listen into the Disney channel!!!

As for the clip, 10 seconds I'm sure is grand, but for a minute! As I have stated, it was not even for a comp or anything like it, so why go off format and play it??

If Andy Preston or Barry Dunne got a bit bored during their show, I'm sure we would not find them dropping the 'he-man' or 'pink panther' theme into their show, for a laugh, whenever they felt like it!
    Christ will ya ever get a life :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Well, since the Alvin & The Chipmunks OST went top 5 in the Billboard charts in the last few weeks on the strength of the Movie's advertising, I dont see any problem with a DJ categorising anything from it as "hit music" if he so desired.

Is it any good? Probably not.
    Is it a hit? Undeniably.

However, considering the subject, I think he was more interested in having a laugh than trying to broaden the mind of any insomniacs hungry for new stateside hits...

And really, Is going "off-format" at 4.a.m. for 60 seconds or so really such a crime?

Seriously, there is SO much wrong with Irish radio that someone displaying a small amount of personality by playing a novelty track from a movie soundtrack in the wee small hours is really the least of our troubles.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭WorriedSick

It amazes me how people complain and whine that Irish radio is all the same, repetitive and predictable. Then, when there is something different and the DJ plays the odd novelty song people complain also! I have listened to FM104 overnights and quite often they play TV themes and I quite enjoy it actually! Most radio stations completly neglect overnight listeners... FM104 is the only station that has a live DJ so it's refreshing to hear something different!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Culture2007

Completely agree with the above... I really find it hilarious that something so trivial upset the OP.

You're completely missing the point. We're not talking about a daytime show here, it's 4am. There is a world of difference in daytime programming to that at night. If a DJ playing a cartoon theme at 4am really upsets you so much, perhaps you should listen to a CD in the car.

On the topic of FM104's playlist, I think it's the best of the CHR stations in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Very disappointed and surprised at the music programmer for this, !

I shouldn't even take the bait. But Music Programmers don't tell DJs what clips from TV shows gone by that they can play.

The song is not on the playlist and you well know it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Well, since the Alvin & The Chipmunks OST went top 5 in the Billboard charts in the last few weeks on the strength of the Movie's advertising, I dont see any problem with a DJ categorising anything from it as "hit music" if he so desired.

Is it any good? Probably not.
    Is it a hit? Undeniably.

However, considering the subject, I think he was more interested in having a laugh than trying to broaden the mind of any insomniacs hungry for new stateside hits...

And really, Is going "off-format" at 4.a.m. for 60 seconds or so really such a crime?

Seriously, there is SO much wrong with Irish radio that someone displaying a small amount of personality by playing a novelty track from a movie soundtrack in the wee small hours is really the least of our troubles.....

^^What he said^^

OP, it shows that the jock was making a bit of an effort to have a laugh with the listeners, and in the 15-34 bracket, there would be a lot of nostalgia around that particular show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭WorriedSick

Oh No...FM104 just played 30 seconds of the Baywatch Theme...!!! I suppose that's on the playlist too! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

On the topic of FM104's playlist, I think it's the best of the CHR stations in Dublin.

Sorry to be so picky here but FM104 aren't a CHR station - the only Dublin station that could be described as CHR is Spin 103. 98/104 are both Hot A/C

Carry on...!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Slicklink

Manimal wrote: »
    Sorry to be so picky here but FM104 aren't a CHR station - the only Dublin station that could be described as CHR is Spin 103. 98/104 are both Hot A/C

Carry on...!

Or being even more pedantic.

98fm are licensed for an Adult contemporary music mix, best of the 80's, 90's and now (25 - 44 year olds).

FM104 are Hot Adult contemporary (targeting 15-34 year olds)

Spin are Hot Urban Contemporary (also targeting 15 - 34 year olds)

Advertisement