Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird smoke coming from the sea or something

Options
  • 05-05-2008 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

does anyone know what the thick grey smoke is that seems to be coming from the coast? is it a fire or what?

im living in christchurch and all i cant see half of poolbeg cause the bottom is covered in smoke, its going north and south and i cant figure it out. given that is real enough does anyone (ideally living closer to the sea) knwo what the hell it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Fog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

There's a big ball of fire in the sky too, been there since sunrise this morning..

Burning away all day, of course I'm in work and can't see it but I can feel its heat.

Haven't seen/felt anything like this in about 12 months, anyone know what it is?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

yeah was just up in three rock there earlier and the whole coast and most of the city is covered in thick fog, from howth to dun laoghaire. Looks REALLY weird. I was hoping that it was some sort of poisonous cloud cause then I'd be the only one to survive it but doesnt look as though that dream will come true :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

The misty foggy thing was all over the south side yesterday. I drove up Howth Head and there was such a fog over Dun Laoighre area, was low though, you could see the mountain tops, but not the coastline. Looked incredible!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 fowley

cheers for the replies.

looks damn strange, poolbeg keeps appearing and disapppearing, like a david copperfield trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭AlexBM

It's been like that in north Wexford along the coast, too. Not as bad, but distinctly foggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Was over in Tolka Park there and the smoke was everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Passed Croke Park on the way home, was covered in mist too, but the mist didn't go any further than Croke park... Odd.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I was jogging down along the strand at Sandymount today and it was blowing fiercely in off the sea. I couldn't see the beach or the sea at all. Seemed to be a mixture of sand and water vapour being blown in - I got bits of sand in my mouth from it. Very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Anybody seen any aliens yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

P-p-p-pirate Ghosts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

fowley wrote: »
    does anyone know what the thick grey smoke is that seems to be coming from the coast? is it a fire or what?
    lol
    Was over in Tolka Park there and the smoke was everywhere.
    lol

SEA FOG
    A type of advection fog which forms in warm moist air cooled to saturation as the air moves across cold water.

ADVECTION FOG
    Fog that develops when warm moist air moves over a colder surface, cooling that air to below its dew point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Passed Croke Park on the way home, was covered in mist too, but the mist didn't go any further than Croke park... Odd.

Saw that earlier. It was strange. I couldn't see half of the IFSC or the docks from the DART I was on. Kinda mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

I saw it as well, it was weird all right.

And I've seen similar thing in the Ballybrack/Killiney area, and in a few spots on the Dublin - Wexford road. It looked so odd, i thought something was on fire at first as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It was wonderful.
    My kids thought it was wonderful too running on the beach and dissapearing in the fog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I was driving down the M1 yesterday and there was a line of this mysterious mist parallel to the motorway. It was lovely. Nice to hear the old foghorn leghorns going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

AFAIK it's marshland -just above the Skerries exit and the other side of Balbriggan. You get regular mists there and very nice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Thought this was going to be about the fire on Sunday.

Didn't find out what was burning but there were plumes of thick smoke coming from what looked to be the Camden Street end of town.

Anyone know who/what burned to the ground?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cozski

I was coming down on the bus from Belfast at around 8pm. We began to descend into this mysterious, almost other worldly substance around Dundalk... everyone was looking a little concerned, nervously twitching and trying to catch glances of re-assurance from other passengers. I loudly said, "For f*ck's sake, not another Interstellar Wormhole... I'm sick of this!"... to which one guy tenatively asked, "Where will it take it us?". It would have been funny if he wasn't serious. Anyway, it took us to Dublin... which was lucky, coz thats where I'd bought my ticket for... but it could have turned out alot differently, I'm sure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Its haar.

Advertisement