Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lan Gaming, What the hell are we doing wrong.

Options
  • 05-05-2008 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Today my friends and i are trying to setup a lan game, we have done this before over the wireless in my house but for some god forsaken reason were getting nothing.

We then decided to try to set up a few games over a router the auld fashioned way but still no luck.

Any guides or software out there that can help us out? Google provided me with nothing this far, Playing Counter Strike 1.6 and unreal tournement 2004 by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Firstly,

You all able to connect to the internet / ping other computers on the network?
    Can you share files / browse other computers?

It could be possible that one of the machines on the network has something unwanted installed, best way to find out is process of elimination. Starting with the Server connect one machine at a time and make sure they can view the server on the LAN.

Are you using Static IP's or DHCP?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Turn off the firewalls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I found the wifi flakey as hell when 6 of us tried some lan.ing back in college.

Anyone with a wired connection was fine but the wifi lads kept dropping from the game. Ended up just running cable throughout the house for games!

Static IPs all the way, disable firewall like Verb said.

Cant remember if they have to be in the same workgroup...could be just for filesharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

It wasnt really the ip problem, it was more along the lines of everyone was setup right yet according to counterstrike there was noone else on the network. Very strange, still trying to figure out the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

If you can ping the server IP, when you go to LAN game, add the IP addy if it doesnt show and try to connect then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Verb wrote: »
    Turn off the firewalls.
    Something as simple as this is usually the problem! +1

Advertisement