Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Identifying issues on diesal engines

Options
  • 05-05-2008 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭

When buying a diesal van or car is the same principle applied for....
    How do I know if the thing is burning oil etc? On a petrol car it is blue smoke but is it the same on a diesal? What colour emmisions should I expect to see when I redline a diesal motor? How would I identify bottom end knocking etc when the diesal engines in general are already rather noisy?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The usual checks for oil in water / water in oil still apply to diesel engines. Burning oil also still burns blue, although it might be a bit harder to spot among the diesel soot. Redlining a diesel when stationary shouldn't result in much (but please don't do it on a cold engine) under acceleraration however, black smoke is quite normal, especially on a turbo.

Overly smoky engines needn't necessarily be broke, the injection timing/amount could just be off.

General rule of thumb (veeery general :D) when you're driving , you shouldn't really be aware of smoke, once it becomes noticable in the mirrors, something is usually wrong.

Advertisement