Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was your worst nightmare? disasters, bad experiences, equipment failures etc

• 05-05-2008 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I normally carry a back up lap top when I am playing however my main sourse has been out of action for over a month and had to be sent back to the UK for repairs. When Loading my van last Friday night I left my backup out and found it f*^cked with mildew the following morning. I had to travel from Dublin to Cork for a gig and it was already 11am when I discovered this.

In panic I grabbed my desk top with what selection I had on it and a pair of decks. My cd collection was limited for the selection I needed on the night and I had no proper mixing software on the PC. It was a frightening experience however I managed to get through the night and I don't think anyone even noticed the difference. After this experience I think I will never go anywhere without a good selection of hard copies.

Picture: Using a desk top and an ancient copy pof PCDJ red to get me out of a hole

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Laptop took a fall when setting up, audio interface smashed in to PCMCIA socket, interface shagged, laptop shagged. Was still mostly using CDs so was able to do the set, and the replacement laptops taken a few falls and survived!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

MYOB wrote: »
    Laptop took a fall when setting up, audio interface smashed in to PCMCIA socket, interface shagged, laptop shagged. Was still mostly using CDs so was able to do the set, and the replacement laptops taken a few falls and survived!
    I would also carry a play lost on my phone that could be used in an emergency. I had another desaster another of years ago when a Bose 802 power amp went down, it was early stages and I had no back up amp. I had to put the word out and managed to get a loan of a small amp to get me out of a hole. Another time the amp running the bins got fried from a faulty stage generator. I managed to get away with disconnecting Xover and running only the tops as full range. no one on the floor even noticed the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭just pete

Interesting looking venue in that pic :D, Party ???

The electricty went on me twice in the same nightclub on different nights, floor packed and typical in the middle of a dance set. Lights and sound gone apart from the roar of the crowd, all I could do was laugh and smile. Esb problem so that ended both nights :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

just pete wrote: »
    Interesting looking venue in that pic :D, Party ???

The electricty went on me twice in the same nightclub on different nights, floor packed and typical in the middle of a dance set. Lights and sound gone apart from the roar of the crowd, all I could do was laugh and smile. Esb problem so that ended both nights :rolleyes:
    I get really Pis**ed off with power cuts particularly If the venue cannot instal a decent circut breaker. I have walk off stage several times over this. If you ever do get a power cut you must turn off your power amp immediatly or else you could blow the cr*P out of something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Pretty much every time I play at a house party I always seem to be paralytically drunk, so the next day I usually end up cringing at the memories of the cheddar that was played... God knows why I even bring it with me in the first place:o
    Oh yeah, and spinbacks sound super cool when I'm in that kind of state...

• Advertisement
Advertisement