Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with my Lisp

Options
  • 05-05-2008 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

does anyone know how i can get rid of my lisp.. it never used to annoy me but know that i am a teacher i get constantly reminded any its started to bug me.. so any help would be greatly welcomed..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭raemie21

Hey, a lisp is very straightforward to change, especially if you have the motivation to do so! Basically your tongue position should be behind your teeth, near the alveolar ridge - you can feel this ridge, it's the 'bump' and then let the air out through the small space between your upper and lower teeth. For a lisp, your tongue is protruding and coming through your teeth - an interdental position and then the air has to come out too so it sounds distorted. Basically look in a mirror and watch your tongue position when you say /s/ slowly and ask a friend or sibling or whatever if they can do theirs aswell.
    Once you get it on its own, simply practice, practice in single words, then sentences and short conversational level etc. You'll get it easily enough I'd say, just needs to change the habit and self monitor your own speech. Besta luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

raemie21 wrote: »
    Hey, a lisp is very straightforward to change, especially if you have the motivation to do so! Basically your tongue position should be behind your teeth, near the alveolar ridge - you can feel this ridge, it's the 'bump' and then let the air out through the small space between your upper and lower teeth. For a lisp, your tongue is protruding and coming through your teeth - an interdental position and then the air has to come out too so it sounds distorted. Basically look in a mirror and watch your tongue position when you say /s/ slowly and ask a friend or sibling or whatever if they can do theirs aswell.
    Once you get it on its own, simply practice, practice in single words, then sentences and short conversational level etc. You'll get it easily enough I'd say, just needs to change the habit and self monitor your own speech. Besta luck!

I wouldn't say easy! The way someone talks is pretty ingrained into them, and to change such a fundamental thing takes a lot of effort.

I could never loose my lisp, even after speech therapy as a child. I put it a little down to laziness, but also because it isn't really that simple behaviour to change.

I would suggest speech therapy OP, there are techniques and best practices. You could try what the quoted poster suggested, you might be able to do it yourself: just don't think it will be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

loranenni banned for one week, reason = unconstructive post. Any more posts like that will result in permanent ban.

Advertisement