Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why 'piercing guns' should never be used

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Hi... how is this related to piercing guns?
    Please keep on topic where possible :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

....... we were demonstrating places not to use a piercing gun?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Moonspell

piercing guns are not supposed to be used on the nose at all... it was made for the ears alone, as well as the studs used in the gun being design to pierce the flesh of the ear, and not the nose as it has quite thick cartilage.
    also, the studs in the gun are quite blunt and are forced through the wound by brute force.

had my nse done twice, never with the gun, the pain is short and sharp with the needle. unfortunately twice it rejected, not sure if i'll go for a thrid time, but do love to see a little stud there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Ok. I felt I really needed to put some input into this thread, having had experience using these 'guns' on others and having been on the recieving end of this too.

First off, I do need to say that it was part of my job, and I literally had no choice in the matter. All I could really do was warn as many people as possible about the dangers of these instruments.

The way studex justified the cleanliness of the instruments is that the actual gun is not put through the ear. All the jewellery comes prepacked 'sterilised'. So studex basically saw nothing wrong, once the jewellery is sterilised.

In the store that I worked in, there were two types of instruments. The system 45 and the other crappy one no-one liked using. The system 45 was by far the better of the two. Basically, you'd load the 24ct gold earrings into the gun from a pre-packed blister. Put it over the ear, and literally use human force to get the thing in. Have to say, I never had any problems performing the 'piercing' using these instruments, and of course I did my utmost best to keep everything clean, as much as I know it'll be no where near the standard of studios etc.

The other instrument caused numerous problems to the point where I refused to use them. These worked in a more complicated way. The pair of earrings come in a pre-packed blister, but the piercing gun needed to be set up properly. It was basically a spring loaded gun thing. Leathal in my opinion. At least with the last instrument, it was human force, and not a sudden shock to the system. More than 70% of piercings performed went horribly wrong. In one case the earring and the back went through a girl's ear. Earrings would not go through properly.. there'd be blood. And countless infections.

I'd also like to add that these 'piercers' go through a half day course, if you could even call it that. Compare that to the years of work piercers had to put in to earn their right to pierce, and you'd be a fool to go with the piercing gun.

So if this post hasn't put you off getting your ears/nose/nipple/whatever pierced with a gun, you're a silly silly person. Take it from a person behind the instrument. It's not a clever idea.

the only reason i choose to get my lobes done with the gun is because i have a fear of needles and my lobes,yes i know its odd considering my piercing history but i just cant help it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

piercing guns are a tool of the devil!
    they are like a right of passage though, everyone i know got their lobes done with the gun at least once!!
    fantasy suicide is right, i worked in a certian shop, got a 1 hour training course on piercing ears, practised on a rubber ear, and was then let loose on the unknowing public!its ridiculos, theres sooo much than can actually go wrong!!!

its not as bad when you are actually old enough to decided to do it,i think its awful when its done to babies though,i know the shop your on about definitely does it

i had to do it! ppl used to bring in 2 week old babies and ask us to pierce their ears!!! the youngest i had to pierce was 6 months and i was possibly the most evil ive ever felt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Moonspell

I'm from Portugal and the most common there in babies is to use a needle in babies. either way is wrong to do it in babies. but never heard of an occasion where it was done with a piercing gun...

they tried to justify it by doing both their ears at the same time but that almost always left the ears unsymetrical as its almost impossible to get 2 piercers to go at excatly the same time!! its ridiculous, the poor things have no idea whats goin on, they get such a fright

• Advertisement

the ear changes shape anyway as you grow up so the piercing is obviously gonna move once their older i dont see the point

tell that to their parents!

i dont think theyd care to be honest,people that arent really into body modification generally dont know anything about it,i seen one guy in my shop today with a labret stud in his eyebrow,when i mentioned it to someone i worked he asked how was it any different to an eyebrow stud

he'll learn how different it is the hard way! but still even if you dont know a thing about body mods, u still have to know that piercing babies ears is pretty cruel!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Hey cupcake, it seriously sounds like you worked in the same place as I worked. I mean, that kid had no choice in getting it's ears done, and if it goes wrong, and that kid does wanna go down our route of modification, it could make things difficult in the long run. I know as parents it's not something you'd consider, but hey. fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I know a girl got her tongue pierced in Georges aArcade with a gun.In the end she had to take it out with a scissors,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I really hope that that isn't true marti101. :eek:

marti101 wrote: »
    I know a girl got her tongue pierced in Georges aArcade with a gun.In the end she had to take it out with a scissors,

Please say you're joking, though I know you're not. I went to get my tongue pierced a few weeks back and the piercist started by getting a bottle of spray on anasthetic and a piercing gun. I told her that if she was that unprofessional I would be getting my piercing done elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Yes its true she was that desperate to get it out.She was lucky nothing serious happened.I think she used the scissor as leverage to pull the backing off it after all it was an stud they used.Yuck.Id never go near that place,how are they still in business is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Jabcity

my god thats terrible! Using a gun for anything else but ears is barbaric, and even using them on ears is unhygienic and unprofessional. Needlas can be sterilised, cleaned and replaced after use! why anyone would choose the gun is beyond me when there are safer more practical ways. You wouold think in this day and age people would be more careful especially when dealing with blood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

Got my tragus done in George's Arcade with a gun a couple of weeks ago.

It seems fine but if i'd read this thread beforehand i'm rather sure i wouldn't have got it done..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Would never go there myself to get anything done, although the one good thing it has is a good selection of jewlery. (Well, different.)

Then again if you're not after standard stuff the internet is without a doubt the best option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Ugh, why oh why would anyone get a stud put through their tragus in a city that has Wildcat and Snakebite? :(

as bad as they are for piercing her TONGUE with a gun, shes just as bad for letting them do it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 milfy_mel

how is that Georges Arcade place still open?????:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

Gauge wrote: »
    Ugh, why oh why would anyone get a stud put through their tragus in a city that has Wildcat and Snakebite? :(

I wanted it done for awhile and then it was just there.. And cheap..

It's grand though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

when i was 16 i got my tragus pierced in a small(surprisingly,now closed!) pierce shop in Swords village and they used a gun.6 months on.the piercing appeared to grow out, i removed it and the tragus is now all soft and i still have a big ass dent where the stud was.i've gone to metal morphasis for all my subsequent piercings!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

People always bash metal morphasis, but i've gotten all my recent piercings there and have never had any sort of problem, and the lads are lovely.

Got my helix done with a gun when i was about 15 in a place in The Square, Tallaght.
    Never healled and got horrible infected. nasty stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

I hate piercing guns.....seriously. My first piercing was done with one...the noise has since put me off ever getting pierced again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Creeping-Death

Probably not the cleverest reply here but anyway. I did my 3 piercings (earlobe) myself with a needle and have never had any infections or pain or whatever. I dont know a whole lot about piercing guns but a few friends have told me to stay well away from them, especially for cartilage piercings as apparentl the force shatters the cartilage.

Advertisement