Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC TyTN2 now on 3, Officially, Skype cab please :)

• 05-05-2008 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hello all, Just saw that the HTC TyTN2 is now sold by 3.

this should open up an easy way for all us WM users on 3 to get skype going for free :) has anyone bought it yet? It supports Skype(i know it's really iskoot) so there must be a was to get the cab file and install it on other WM phones. Could anyone help out? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Are you talking about just getting Skype for Windows Mobile/Pocket PC because that's readily downloadable from the Skype site. I tried Skype for WM on the three network and tbh never really got it working properly- the Three speeds weren't great for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 tdkeaveny

yeah trying to get the 3 version of skype working. I have a treo 750 and its not the most powerful phone do the official skype does not work very well. 3 seem to be using iskoot as opposed to real skype it uses your your normal phone connection so the quality is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

... when its obviously a TyTn 1 they have in the photo... duhhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

They also have the wrong picture of the k660i up, the picture is of a prototype unit which are badged SE123, and they've still got the w880i down as an x-series handset which it clearly isn't. Doh.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭tigger1962

I admit i was puzzled by the photo also as I'm using a tytn II on three for a while now. Never tried skype via three but it works fine over wireless.. Internet works fine too as does video calling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

tigger1962 wrote: »
    I admit i was puzzled by the photo also as I'm using a tytn II on three for a while now. Never tried skype via three but it works fine over wireless.. Internet works fine too as does video calling

Hi Tigger,

How do you find your TyTN II in general use? I've just purchased one on Ebay, should have it tomorrow or Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

Went in to the Grafton Street shop it is the TyTN II. Wonder who went to all the trouble of doing the 3d view of the old phone.

since you are using the tytnII could you help me out with the original question? can you get onto planet3 and download the 3 skype cab?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

I have the tytn II and use it on three, tried to download skype on the my3 link but it says handset not supported yet or something to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

But at least a lot of my3 seems to be useable now, before when I tried it wouldnt even load the page.

• Advertisement

I've had it working on Three (unofficially) for close to a year now. I'm missing some settings still as in My3 but everything else works fine. The tytn 2 is fine but it has a few problems that have been noted elsewhere... one is video playback - I bought coreplayer and this works great with it so obviously thye know something HTC doesn't.. The other big issue is the gps!! On occasion if you use it eg with tomtom and it can't lock to any satelites it can waste your battery in under an hour even when you exit the application! It seems the fix is to do a soft reset! There is also an issue over the touch screen causing memory issues, I can't say I've seen that one... I understand developing for it is a bit of a b*** too due to some nonstandard ui issues - not sure about this as I've only ever done some small c# stuff for it. For what I wanted its great and its great to see Three offer a pda type phone on their network, though I suspect Apple might be the cause of that.. My contract with three is due to expire next month and the impending rumours of the 3g iphone might make me change network depending on whether o2 get some sense.

Oh one thing i did find out today!! the Tytn 2 is not available as an upgrade :eek: only under a new contract, a phone call to three confirmed what I was told in the shop!!

just connected to my3 on tytn and it currently works fine! I got there via
    http://mobile.3ireland.ie/hb/Hutchkey

clicked on my3 tab and worked fine!

as earlier mentioned you can't seem to get skype cab from the download page with a message "phone not supported"

Don't seem to be able to use skype using 3 either? settings? I'm using the skype from skype.com It connects via three and even goes online but then disconnects again after a few minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,131 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I've had it working on Three (unofficially) for close to a year now. I'm missing some settings still as in My3 but everything else works fine. The tytn 2 is fine but it has a few problems that have been noted elsewhere... one is video playback - I bought coreplayer and this works great with it so obviously thye know something HTC doesn't.. The other big issue is the gps!! On occasion if you use it eg with tomtom and it can't lock to any satelites it can waste your battery in under an hour even when you exit the application! It seems the fix is to do a soft reset! There is also an issue over the touch screen causing memory issues, I can't say I've seen that one... I understand developing for it is a bit of a b*** too due to some nonstandard ui issues - not sure about this as I've only ever done some small c# stuff for it. For what I wanted its great and its great to see Three offer a pda type phone on their network, though I suspect Apple might be the cause of that.. My contract with three is due to expire next month and the impending rumours of the 3g iphone might make me change network depending on whether o2 get some sense.

Oh one thing i did find out today!! the Tytn 2 is not available as an upgrade :eek: only under a new contract, a phone call to three confirmed what I was told in the shop!!

no upgrade, thats a load of crap, we'll see what they say when i threaten to go ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Funny, it was available to me online the other day but has been taken back off. I would assume this means three have actually got a bid of demand for the device and only ordered in small quantities and have been caught on the hop. Networks view "new" customers as more valuable than existing ones, hence all the offers for new customers and crappy upgrades as there's still a reluctance to switch networks amongst alot of Irish consumers.

What I imagine 3 have done is ring-fence their presumably small supply of TYTNII's for the more lucrative "new" customers and will introduce it as an upgrade once stock supply is sorted.

Rags wrote: »
    I have the tytn II and use it on three, tried to download skype on the my3 link but it says handset not supported yet or something to that effect.
    as earlier mentioned you can't seem to get skype cab from the download page with a message "phone not supported"

Don't seem to be able to use skype using 3 either? settings? I'm using the skype from skype.com It connects via three and even goes online but then disconnects again after a few minutes

Thanks for trying guys, seems odd that they advetise that it supports skype yet we can't download and install it. might go b the three store and see if i can get a direct link and download it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

I have both Skype for this and Fring running. Call quality via Fring is suprisingly better, prob less bloatware.
    However a major pain is battery life. I had to order a 2800mA cell and even this is FAIL. I wait in hope of a 4000mA battery some time....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Cyrus wrote: »
    no upgrade, thats a load of crap, we'll see what they say when i threaten to go ;)

It shows up as an upgrade option for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,131 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yeah me too, hardly an upgrade price tho :mad:

ok im almost there guys just need one more bit of help. i could not get the cab file but i found a way to change the user agent on my Tero 750 so that it is identified as a TyTN2 which should let me download the appropriate file.

The only thing i need is the user agent string, could someone using a TyTN2 go to www.useragent.org and post the resulting string?

• Advertisement

Lads have any of you had any luck downloading this from my3 yet.
    tdkeaveny were you able to find out the Tytn II user-agent?
    Should skype be downloadable from my3 once you get this.

I gather though that Three's skype only allows free calls to other skype users and not reduced calls to landlines/phones internationally (like proper skype), is this correct.

Also @ telecinesk do you have the skype from skype.com working ok with fring.
    If so i might give that a shot as well.

nope no luck yet on the user agent.
    i did find the user agent for a LG Shine U970 which lets me download a .jad file for skype but i cant get it to install, but ill keep you updated.

if anyone with the TyTN2 could just download the .jad or .cab file, whichever it is and post it this would be a lot easier :)

edit: if any one has a 3 branded TyTn2 and has skype working, if you could just go to www.useragent.org on your pocket IE browser and post the result i'll buy you a cookie :)

tdkeaveny wrote: »
    nope no luck yet on the user agent.
    i did find the user agent for a LG Shine U970 which lets me download a .jad file for skype but i cant get it to install, but ill keep you updated.

if anyone with the TyTN2 could just download the .jad or .cab file, whichever it is and post it this would be a lot easier :)

edit: if any one has a 3 branded TyTn2 and has skype working, if you could just go to www.useragent.org on your pocket IE browser and post the result i'll buy you a cookie :)

I changed the useragent on my Touch-Cruise to the Tytn II useragent (got the details from a UK site where they were having the same problem with three):
    HKLM>security>internet explorer>useragent>custombase:
    Changed it to HTC_TyTN_II Mozilla/4.0.
    This allows greater access to my3 stuff but when you click on the skype icon it says it's not available for that handset yet.

yeah i have tried th HTC_TyTN_II Mozilla/4.0 aswell with the same result as you, i think we are looking for a longer one. the user agent for the LG Shine is

LG/U970/v1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UNTRUSTED/1.0

this gave me the option to download the .jad file but it would not install correctly. anyone have a similer user agent for the TyTN2?

edit: actually now that i think about it if the Skype on the TyTN2 is java maybe I/we could user any java .jar file to get it working, could some one upload here or somewhere else and send me a pm with the link?

refering to the end of the last post here's the info in the Skype_1.0.16_SEK530I_IE.jad file i managed to get using a user agent. I can start the installation but it will not download the .jar file highlighted in red bellow. could some one download skype on ANY 3 phone and share the .jar java file with us? whould be great if it worked :)

BackupServerUrl: http://mobile.3ireland.ie/948
    Chat: false
    Debug: false
    DeviceName: SE/K530I
    FamilyRef: SE/W660I
    Lang: EN
    MIDlet-1: Skype,/SkypeAppIcon.png,impl.MainMIDlet
    MIDlet-Icon: /SkypeAppIcon.png
    MIDlet-Jar-Size: 224318
    MIDlet-Jar-URL: Skype_1.0.16_SEK530I_IE.jar
    MIDlet-Name: Skype
    MIDlet-Permissions: javax.microedition.io.Connector.http, javax.microedition.io.Connector.https, javax.microedition.io.Connector.ssl
    MIDlet-Permissions-Opt: javax.microedition.pim.ContactList.read, javax.microedition.pim.ContactList.write
    MIDlet-Vendor: iSkoot
    MIDlet-Version: 1.0.16
    MicroEdition-Configuration: CLDC-1.0
    MicroEdition-Profile: MIDP-2.0
    SEMC-PlatformRequestSilentTel: Y
    ServerUrl: http://mobile.3ireland.ie/948

yeah i have tried th HTC_TyTN_II Mozilla/4.0 aswell with the same result as you, i think we are looking for a longer one. the user agent for the LG Shine is LG/U970/v1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UNTRUSTED/1.0 this gave me the option to download the .jad file but it would not install correctly. anyone have a similer user agent for the TyTN2? edit: actually now that i think about it if the Skype on the TyTN2 is java maybe I/we could user any java .jar file to get it working, could some one upload here or somewhere else and send me a pm with the link?

OK fair enough :)

Found it! got the file by typing in the address and changing the .jad to a .jar installed it on my phone (Palm Treo 750 running WM6.1) and it works like a charm :) heres the link

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R2H0V9J4

Found it! got the file by typing in the address and changing the .jad to a .jar installed it on my phone (Palm Treo 750 running WM6.1) and it works like a charm :) heres the link

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R2H0V9J4

Thanks for that.
    But when i try to install it with my midlet manager it stalls at the bit where it asks me to accept or exit.
    I can't tap on either accept or exit (they seem to be just images)
    And the midlet manager just locks up. :(

My device is also WM6 so it can't be that different to yours.
    Nothing ever works for me :mad: :p
    Any ideas. :)

What kinda Three settings do you have btw:
    is it just 3ireland.ie under myISP and everything else blank (no proxies or passwords etc)- that's what i have anyway.

Chin up :) hmm, it did actually stall on my aswell but it was after the installation had completed and it asked if i wished it run the midlet. but i just closed the task and started it again and it ran fine.

which phone and midelet manager are you using? i used jbed. and i have the same myisp settings, and the connection is just called 3 on mine

• Advertisement

Chin up :) hmm, it did actually stall on my aswell but it was after the installation had completed and it asked if i wished it run the midlet. but i just closed the task and started it again and it ran fine. which phone and midelet manager are you using? i used jbed. and i have the same myisp settings, and the connection is just called 3 on mine
    Appreciate the help. Phone is HTC Touch Cruise WM 6. Midlet manager is Esmertec Jbed Build 20071112.1.1. So almost exactly identical to your setup- except you're using WM 6.1. I get the accept/exit splash screen but can't get past that because tapping the "accept" or "exit" buttons just doesn't work (they're just images it seems).
    Are you getting that screen at all?

Advertisement