Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Would you buy jump leads or splash out on a booster back

Options
  • 05-05-2008 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

What do you reckon? The booster pack I suppose is definitely the advantage as you can use it anywhere if your own car breaks down without help.

How often do you need to charge them though etc. Do you need to change the batteries after a certain period?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭hebejebees

I'd recommend the Booster pack or AA/other cover, i've seen jump leads do alot of damage to cars electrical systems, garages never use them anymore because of both handyness and no chance of damage.

The problem is that the booster pack will probably have to be charged every so often because they can loose come charge over time, but are usually pretty good. The batteries shouldn't need changing at any point in its life, but that all depends on its quality

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Just get AA cover, or investigate what your insurer offers in that line of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Both. A booster pack is useless if you are stuck in the middle of no where and the charge is gone. A set of decent 450 amp jump leads will set you back about e40. and a decent booster pack will set you back over e100. Don’t buy any of the rubbish from Lidl, Aldi or Argus unless you have AA membership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭hebejebees

maidhc wrote: »
    Just get AA cover, or investigate what your insurer offers in that line of things.

You could possibly have some sort of assistance cover with your insurer already, its amazing the amount of people who do and don't know about it because they never read the policy or don't know the number, give your insurance company a quick ring tomorrow and see what the story is

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I usually have both in the boot:D. I use the boost pack for a lot of stuff, mainly pumping car/bike tires but also for starting the quad and a few other batteries as such. The main question is do you have a diesel/large petrol car or small petrol car? When the batteries are drained 100% the booster pack will not start a diesel engine or petrol engine bigger than 1.8. In this case you'll need leads. But still, the booster pack is very handy to have for 1/2 flat batteries and tires, and can be got very cheap (I got one from Lidl or Aldl a few months back for €40).

If you get jump leads don't get the real cheapo ones. they will overheat and melt in no time at all. Another tip is to keep a spanner in the car that will open the negative battery clip (usually a 10mm). If the battery is completely drained, take the negative termal off the battery, at least with this the booster pack does not have to try charge the battery as well as start the car.

Its recommended you charge the booster pack after every time you use it to start a battery. I don't know if this is a bit overkill, but it is important that you don't leave the booster pack completely drained for a long time, it will not charge up properly the next time right and will not be as good for starting a car again.

I don't know if everything I've said above is the correct way of doing things, I'm opened to correction if some thinks there is a better way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Once the booster pack is charged once from the mains it can then be kept "topped up" by plugging into a 12v socket. Most cars these days have several 12v sockets. In my car the sockets don't work unless the ignition is on - so the booster pack won't drain the car's battery if it's plugged into a 12 v socket with the engine off.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Once the booster pack is charged once from the mains it can then be kept "topped up" by plugging into a 12v socket. Most cars these days have several 12v sockets. In my car the sockets don't work unless the ignition is on - so the booster pack won't drain the car's battery if it's plugged into a 12 v socket with the engine off.
    The last thing one would want is this big lump of a thing on the passenger floorwell and to be tripping over wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The last thing one would want is this big lump of a thing on the passenger floorwell and to be tripping over wires.
    As I said
    Most cars these days have several 12v sockets
    i.e. not just the cigarette lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

oh crap, i have neither, never realised!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

I have a booster pack but find it rarely starts cars where the battery is totally dead.

• Advertisement

BrianD3 wrote: »
    As I said

i.e. not just the cigarette lighter.
    Mine dosn't :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Alternatively, you could just push start the car....

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Fiat and Renault owners would know all about this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

For both jump leads and booster pack, if they are not surge protected........bin them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

It costs about €300 for a proper booster pack. Anything else is cheap crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Booster pack or AA. DON'T jump start your car - you could blow your ECU etc. Will cost four figures to replace.

As previously stated, most garage workshops won't jump start cars anymore for fear of damaging them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Fiat and Renault owners would know all about this. :D

Nope!
    Did have to go and pick up a friend after his toyota corolla broke down though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Mac 3

I bought a black and decker simple start about six months ago because one of my cars was in storage and wouldn't start after a few weeks. I dont think it started the car once. I had to resort to jump leads every time..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Nope!
    Did have to go and pick up a friend after his toyota corolla broke down though. ;)

Me either funnily enough, Only 2 cars that ever let me down were a Honda Accord and a Rover 620. Bloody Hondas. :)

Made use of my charger once or twice after my mother left the interior light on in her clio though.:rolleyes:

I really can't see any purpose for owning either to be honest.

For those who keep a car in storage a battery charger is a simple and cheap solution.

Otherwise, unless you are one of those people who continually leave their lights on, the battery will start the car every time for at least 80k miles.

In a modern car it is much more likely that if it breaks, it wont be because of a flat battery. The AA (or insurance inclusive recovery service) is worth having, because invariably the car will need to be towed to a garage and you will need a loan car for a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Have been using jump leads, I have a particularily strong set, buy thankfully have never done any damage. They have always managed to start my car van etc, am I missing something or am I doing something right., what's all this about damage to vehicles ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

In a modern car it is much more likely that if it breaks, it wont be because of a flat battery. The AA (or insurance inclusive recovery service) is worth having, because invariably the car will need to be towed to a garage and you will need a loan car for a few days.

+1 for this. My cousin was charged €160 to have a Fiesta towed from Swords to Clondalkin last week. He's not an AA member so it wasnt them but not sure what towing company it was though. I assume thats about standard, I've never had the pleasure of needing one.

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Nope!
    Are you sure it didn't just run out of petrol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,973 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have found booster packs / 'portable engine starters' completely useless in the past, but because the entire family drives cars with some level of intelligence (its impossible to leave the lights on in a Fiat, take the key out and you need to do a fairly complex manoeuvre to get the parking lights on even) I've only had to use jump leads once in three years, and that was due to a faulty ECU draining the battery to begin with - and I was replacing the ECU the same day!

If a cars not turning over due to a flat battery a consumer level portable engine starter won't get it going, basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Max_Damage wrote: »

Can't push start a dead diesel :(

craichoe wrote: »
    Can't push start a dead diesel :(

Only if is has a mechanical distributor type fuel pump and the weather isn't too cold! So yeah, you can't push start any diesel currently on sale or sold in the past 5 years!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Barr wrote: »
    I have a booster pack but find it rarely starts cars where the battery is totally dead.
    How often do you drain your battery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

hebejebees wrote: »
    You could possibly have some sort of assistance cover with your insurer already, its amazing the amount of people who do and don't know about it because they never read the policy or don't know the number, give your insurance company a quick ring tomorrow and see what the story is

agreed, I was unware until recently that my policy gave me breakdown assistance. It was really helpful at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Only if is has a mechanical distributor type fuel pump and the weather isn't too cold! So yeah, you can't push start any diesel currently on sale or sold in the past 5 years!

Interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement