Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Would you buy jump leads or splash out on a booster back

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

hebejebees wrote: »
    I'd recommend the Booster pack or AA/other cover, i've seen jump leads do alot of damage to cars electrical systems, garages never use them anymore because of both handyness and no chance of damage.
    Hmm i was nearly buying a car off a dodgy dealer who was jump starting the car. He said booster packs are bad (though i knew different)
    hebejebees wrote: »
    You could possibly have some sort of assistance cover with your insurer already, its amazing the amount of people who do and don't know about it because they never read the policy or don't know the number, give your insurance company a quick ring tomorrow and see what the story is

+1 my ma didn't know until one day she had engine trouble and i told her to ring and see. Turns out she did and we were sorted out straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Only needed jumps twice ever, and had leads in car so just had to stop a nice person. And that's it, you're off again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

There's an awful lot of bulls*it posted here...

Booster packs (or whatever you want to call them) are jump leads connected to a small battery - small, think ride on mower size at best.

Jump leads, you will not get a decent, professional quality set for less than E200. (poster abuse expected), but the fact is that they should be flexible (ie welding lead type flexibility) leads should be soldered to the clamps and a bridging lead soldered across the jaws of the clamps. Adds up to minimal volt drop and lifetime service. Dry joints are pi*s poor in any 12V setup.

Diagnostic guy, what's the rational behind the surge protector?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 alan08

Renault Clio's are easily kick started because they are so light. I even started it by myself one day, just turn the ignition on, put in second gear or reverse, handbrake off and put your foot on the clutch then get somone to push your car and when you pick up a small bit of speed let the clutch go and push on the accelorator as if your driven off. The car should nearly always start. For bigger heavier cars this doesnt relly suit unless you have alot of help or a hill.

Advertisement