Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Can of guinness in shop

Options
  • 05-05-2008 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me the cost of a can of Guinness in a shop such as tesco or even spar. I am writing a letter of complaint to Irish Rail, My TD, Enda Kenny, and various other people over the cost of a can of Guinness on the train and the fact that they won't let you bring your own, and need the price to compare. If you happen to know off the top of your head, I would appreciate it.

And for the smart alec who is going to say "Why dont you go into a shop and check", I want to send the complaints off now, before I calm down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

What happened that has you so frustrated and how much was the can on the train?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

Just buy them beforehand and bring them with you. I've often brought cans on the train with me going to concerts and have seen many people doing the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

5.50 on the train.

I brought some with me on the way back and a guy with "Irish Rail Security" on his fleece told me I was only allowed drink beer I bought on the train. He 'allowed' me to finish what I had opened but said he would take the rest off me if he saw me drinking Beer I had brought with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

well in the shop it's not much more than 2 euro anyway but in fairness you can't bring your own drink to a pub why do you think you should be allowed bring your own on a train when they sell it there.
    BTW I completly agree 5.50 is ridiculously expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Some trains allow you to bring cans with you. For example, there would be war if you tried to ban cans on a GAA train.

I do know trains from Dublin to Kilkenny are usually checked for cans. It's very common due to all the hen and stag parties going there. Could get very messy on the train if nothing was done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I use the Dublin Cork line 5/6 times a month and have countlessly observed people drinking cans that they have brought with them. Two weeks ago I was in the same carraige as a rugby team and was offered a can a few times by the guys sitting closest to me. They were taking them from the gearbags. Not once have I seen the Host/security guard say anything about BYOB on the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

syklops wrote: »
    5.50 on the train.

I brought some with me on the way back and a guy with "Irish Rail Security" on his fleece told me I was only allowed drink beer I bought on the train. He 'allowed' me to finish what I had opened but said he would take the rest off me if he saw me drinking Beer I had brought with me.

if a man in a yellow jacket said he was going to take my beer from me i'd tell him to f*ck off tbh. sounds to me like he was just a pr!ck. i wouldn't go blaming the whole of irish rail

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

If you can drink on a train i ll bring my own drinks. Big guy who will take it away from me.
    I pay the price of a ticket to be transported from one place to another, i dont pay for the right to buy a drink on the train.

The pub is different, their main business is the drinks. Would be silly to bring your own.

As soon as they ask reasonable prices for the drinks i might consider buying in cinemas, trains, planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    I use the Dublin Cork line 5/6 times a month and have countlessly observed people drinking cans that they have brought with them. Two weeks ago I was in the same carraige as a rugby team and was offered a can a few times by the guys sitting closest to me. They were taking them from the gearbags. Not once have I seen the Host/security guard say anything about BYOB on the train.

Would you tell a rugby team to stop drinking:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

5.50 on the train.

How did he know you hadn't bought it on the train ?
    I never had a problem, and i usually brought a few cans with me.

I'd ask him to please state where that is in their terms and conditions or Bye Laws. If i was in the Dining car drinking my own cans then fair enough but if not i'd make a big deal out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

im sure everyone has brought their own food or drink as in soft drinks onto a train, and has anyone told you to stop eating or drinking them, well if not they dont have any right to tell you to stop drinking beer or alcohol, they cant just pick and choose what to stop you consuming , unless of course it was against the law.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

I've often brought my own cans on to the train going from Dublin to Galway and never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

5.50 on the train.

:eek: That's crazy! Is it actually a rule that you can't have cans? Any time I've been on the Galway-DUblin train I always see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

On the Heuston Kent train last night, my friends and I brought cans of Guinness on the train and consumed them in full view of the security staff who said nothing at all to us. Our bag that clearly contained cans wasn't checked either when we were boarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

5.50 on the train.

I really, *really* hope Irish Rail have introduced a policy on this, and it wasn't just this security guy being a jerk.

The amount of times i've gotten the train to/from Belfast and been disgusted by the can drinking louts you invariably get on such a 'long haul' service.
    The majority of can drinkers on the train clearly can't control their drinking, so I think it's fantastic that Irish Rail will step in and do that for them ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Those Rail Security are a law upon them selfs :rolleyes: i have never had any trouble with drinking on the Train only the Dart! anyway whats there to say you didn't buy your cans on the Train?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

On a train from Beijing to Xian, were were able to buy 660ml bottles of their local beer, Tsing Tao, for the equivelent of 20c.

So, yes, it is an extreme rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Blisterman wrote: »
    On a train from Beijing to Xian, were were able to buy 660ml bottles of their local beer, Tsing Tao, for the equivelent of 20c.

So, yes, it is an extreme rip off.

How much were the local Chinese people earning?

Prices are great when poeople from rich countries buy in poor ones. Trying it the other way round wouldnt be fun though.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

@OP was this a Match Special ? I know that IE ban all drink on match specials.

If it was an ordinary train then the security guy was probably just acting the langer . Was he one of the STT Rail Security guys without any name badges and probably a bruiser from the East ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

FWIW about 2.50 in the local centra.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    How much were the local Chinese people earning?

Prices are great when poeople from rich countries buy in poor ones. Trying it the other way round wouldnt be fun though.

Well, even taking that into consideration, I don't think it was 1/20th of our wages.

Plus, the costs of raw materials and transport, are going to be more or less the same, where ever you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Blisterman wrote: »
    Well, even taking that into consideration, I don't think it was 1/20th of our wages.

Plus, the costs of raw materials and transport, are going to be more or less the same, where ever you go.

A quick google and I found that the average urban wage in China is just shy of €2,000 per year.
    Obviously going to drop if rural wages are taken into account.

At a guess materials and transport will be a lot less, how would it not be?

People are hardly going to China to by materials to build their houses for a laugh.

Well, to be honest, in China, travelling by train would be considered quite a luxury, So if you were to compare the average train rider's salary, in China and in Ireland, I'd imagine the gap wouldn't be as big as that.

Advertisement