Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best addons?

• 05-05-2008 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Hi guys, have only been playing wow for about a fortnight and have just discovered all the add ons.Got the cartographer and quest guide ones and was just wondering out of all the rest which ones would be most commonly used and make for a better game play experience.
    If there is already a similar thread, then I apologise in advance.
    Would love to hear though from all the players here, don't know any one else that plays wow, so would be nice to get some advice from veteran gamers.
    Cheers guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Titan Panel is handy. Atlas Loot too. Auctioneer if you're gonna be using the AH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

what class do you play? alot of class specific ones

my favourites:
    ItemRack
    Proximo
    Afflicted
    XPerl unit frames

am i the only one who uses no addons except omen ...?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

bluewolf wrote: »
    am i the only one who uses no addons except omen ...?
    Probably :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

I've got:
    Atlas - Shows maps of instances & bosses within
    Auctioneer - Scans AH & helps you price your sales
    Questhelper - Shows you were to goto to get most quests finished and turn them in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I use the following

Omen - Great for raidsand instances as it monitors your aggro in a handy chart.
    Recount - For instances and raids, will give you alot of statistics about dps, healing. And its handy to put that mage in his place who reackons he puts out 2000 dps by himself.
    Titan panel - Very andy little app that shows me how much ammo i have, whats my mana and health regen. how many bag slots and all that type of stuff.
    Quest helper - Small app that speeds up the leveling process and stops you alt tabbing to wow head or another site.
    X-perl - Updates the frames on screen with something more modern looking, also allows you to put them where you want
    CT Raid assist - Lets you know when a boss is about to pull off a certain ability

There are loads more on www.curse.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There are addons ?

Where do these stand legally re the T&C ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Thaedydal wrote: »
    There are addons ?

Where do these stand legally re the T&C ?

You gotta be takin the piss? :eek: lol!

Addons are fine as long you dont go using a BOT addon to grind for you while your afk.
    Sure most of the nice changed blizz add are nicked from addons. Like the raid screen having a range finder from last patch.. There are a good few other things...

Just take a loot at http://wow.curse.com/downloads/addons/

Personally i dont use many addons. For raids i use:
    BigWigs
    Recount
    Omen
    Pallypower.

And i also use itemrack. I just couldnt be without that. For people who dont know it, you just setup gear sets in the mod then with 1 click u swap out gear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

No I am not just recently bought the game and while some of the old skills from EQ are serving met here is still a learning curve about other things, addons being one of them.

their fine to use, they dont change the game in anyway. All they do is add information. There are some bold addons though, like the ones used for pvp honor grinding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I'm pretty minimal with addons, right now I just use Grid to help me heal in raids, and Closet Gnome to switch sets of gear easily.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    No I am not just recently bought the game and while some of the old skills from EQ are serving met here is still a learning curve about other things, addons being one of them.

welcome to the dark side :D
    no, addons are definitely thumbs up and ok

dont bother too much with them though until you're 60+ except omen
    kiith wrote:
    Probably :rolleyes:
    Why the rolleyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭nicryan

I use fairly minimal addons but as has been said...omen is a must.

I currently use (and this is seen as not many by guildies):

Omen
    Titan Panel
    Spam Sentry
    Quick loot
    Countdown timer thingie (not sure its actual name)
    atlas loot
    decursive
    chatscroll
    dailies
    deadly boss mod
    equip compare
    group calendar
    void reaver alarm (although its buggered till next mini patch cause VR doesn't target people when firing the blue thingies atm)
    Monitor status
    Solarian Alarm

now that I write out the list it does seem like quite a few...but its still not all that many compared to most people I'd group with.

Nic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I've Recount, Omen, Atlas, AtlasLoot, Cartographer, Bongos, Fubar (and lots of fubar plugins), MobHealth, DeadlyBossMods (for raiding) and UberQuest.

Have a couple of other class specific ones but the ones above are general use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

goodlad wrote: »
    And i also use itemrack. I just couldnt be without that. For people who dont know it, you just setup gear sets in the mod then with 1 click u swap out gear

I used to use Outfitter for that back in pre-TBC days. Was handy for swapping in all FR gear in Molten Core quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭tungsten

Ive recently updated my addons from wowace and my lightheaded has gone berserk...rather than have the questhelping information/comments under my quest title it displays strange code in my chat window...

Anyone know whats going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

yeh, delete it and install questhelper..job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I Switched all my addons to ace2 a good while back and never looked back. I really cannot stress enough how easy this makes patch days. Just open Wowace updater, update and done. All your addons are updated.

The main addons i use are:

Itemrack
    Fubar
    Xperl UF
    Grid
    Bartender
    Omen
    Ora
    Bigwigs
    proximo

actually i have a ton more, i should just screenshot my interface folder :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im using this ui and addon pack http://www.bellum-potentiae.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3674

Its the best ive come across.
    Included are:

Bartender3
    BigWigs
    Buffalo
    ClassTimer
    CooldownCount
    cyCircled_Vol
    DogTag
    EditingUI
    eePanels2
    EnhancedColourPicker
    ErrorMonster
    FuBar
    gdFont
    Gladiator
    ItemRack
    MobHealth
    Niagara
    Omen
    OneBag
    oRa2
    PitBull
    Prat
    Quartz
    Recount
    SCT
    SharedMedia
    simpleMinimap
    Skinner
    TinyTip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Best addon I ever found was one that used your ping / lag to calculate when you should cast your next spell to maximise dps.

It coloured in the end of the existing spell cast bar red, showing when to cast the next spell to hit the server when the current finished, effectively taking the lag out of your dps. Obviously it's not for button bashers, but for controlled raiders it could boost dps by 5-10%.

Now I havent played for 12 months so feck knows if this is still the case :)

Inq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Thats covered by Quartz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

My favourite ones have to be (in no particular order)

ArcHUD2 - nicely configurable and easy to customise to your own preference

Lightheaded/Doublewide - Quest helper addons - doublewide adds a second panel on the left of the default that displays the quest text for whatever quest you select from the list, Lightheaded gives all the comments from wowhead in a third panel, reducing the need to go browse them on der interweb.

Omen - because knowing your threat is good. Knowing the the others guys threat in PvE is useful too :P

Titan panel - with all the addons for this you can pretty much display whatever information you like at the top and bottom of your screen

Equipcompare - does what it says on the tin

AtlasLoot Enhanced - database of all of the instance and rep items in the game.

Pallypower - a must for raiding paladins tbh

Quartz - includes cast times and swing timers so useful to both casters and melee/hunters.

Grid + Clique - very nice combo of mods for healing/raid supervision.

Decursive - if you can cleanse or decurse this makes it simpler.

Hrm - that's all I can think of atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Recount is funny for proving to nab DPS'ers that I did in fact out-DPS them while tanking <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Hah, yeah. This one time in Shattered Halls normal, I outdps'd a 4/5 T4 hunter named Tufftie. I laughed quite hard ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I'm just back playing WOW right now.
    So I want to add extra action bars as I rolled a mage.

It's Titan Panel I need right?

Then where do I put the files?
    In the Add on part of the WOW program files folder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭matthew26

As a mage, I use Quartz. It helps a lot.

jayteecork wrote: »
    I'm just back playing WOW right now.
    So I want to add extra action bars as I rolled a mage.

It's Titan Panel I need right?

Then where do I put the files?
    In the Add on part of the WOW program files folder?

In the interface sub folder of the wow dir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

IHML lets you add a single macro to your actionbars and the addon switches out the function of this macro from its own internal (infinite?)macro list; e.g. you have the bombing quest in skettis it'll switch to a macro to throw bombs, you're on Vash in ssc and it switches to a toss the core macro, etc.

Very handy and as of yet I haven't needed to add any custom macro to it - it has had one for every boss, quest, whatever I've needed. Lazymode ftw.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Found out that you can add extra action bars from the standard Blizzard interface.

Only have Auctioneer installed now.
    Man I love that baby. Making a killing off it. Level 19 and 70 gold, plus a ton of auctions up right now, and a couple of blues in my kit. Rings, necklaces. When I leveled my rogue to 60 a few years ago I didn't get my first necklace till level 30 or something.

Bear in mind I started afresh with no alt to send me gold.
    A self-made elf one might say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I took a lvl 1 to like 140g using auctioneer just by selling his starter equipment and using the cash to buy and sell stuff. Auctioneer totally ftw.

Advertisement