Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP Service PAck 3 - ?!

• 05-05-2008 7:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hay all,

I see XP Service pack 3 available on 'certain areas' of the web - but unavailable on M/Soft's site...

Is it officially available?! - if so, anyone here install it?

I hear it's a great performance boost to the OS! (granted could be bull!)

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

I downloaded it from softpidea....hardly a certain area but still not sure bout installing it. Just found this http://lifehacker.com/385295/field-guide-to-windows-xp-sp3and theres not much bad being said about it other than it looking like theres not the full 10% speed boost in there anymore!!

more here http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080429-microsoft-releases-the-long-anticipated-windows-xp-sp3.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

The boost is due to dual core & quad core systems being utilised. I think it's held back because there was a bug found. It's due now in May afaik. There's a thread around here about it.

/edit Thread here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Would You trust service pack from a source other than windows update? I've often wondered who downloads those i see on the torrent sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Thanks for the replies - some interestng reading...

I think I'll wait for the official release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Would You trust service pack from a source other than windows update? I've often wondered who downloads those i see on the torrent sites.

whats the differnce between a service pack and downloading the latest and greatest COD 7 billion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's still available to download from Windows Update, I got it last week when it initially released. Haven't installed it yet though, a bit worried about them pulling it at the last minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

SP3 Release Candidate 1 is available for download from Microsoft's download site, I have installed SP3 on about 10 PC's with no problems, the reason Microsoft have delayed putting it on Windows update is because of an issue with some retail point of sale (POS) systems that is unlikely to effect ordinary Windows XP users
    SP3 is really just a rollup of all the updates since SP2, I cant honestly say I have noticed any speed difference over SP2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

XPSP3 is available on Windows Update and Download Center as of May 6th. It won't be available as an Automatic Update for a while but is available on the WU site.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3299543&SiteID=17&mode=1

giddyup wrote: »
    XPSP3 is available on Windows Update and Download Center as of May 6th. It won't be available as an Automatic Update for a while but is available on the WU site.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3299543&SiteID=17&mode=1

Yep!

Just go ie then tools windows update custom and there she is looking me straight in the face.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

Well what do ya know?

SP3 has just popped up here on a second machine as an automatic update :confused::confused: Yellow shield & all :eek:

-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Been running it since it was RTM, I wouldn't worry about MS pulling it at the last minute because of a single conflict with some other piece of windows software most end users never heard of :p

Has anyone slipstreamed SP3 onto their installation disc yet?

-

Official download from Microsoft site:

Handy for standalone installs or Slipstreaming:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

I compared the md5 of yesterdays offical release and the installer found on software sites last week and they are the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

cozmik wrote: »
    I compared the md5 of yesterdays offical release and the installer found on software sites last week and they are the same.

But how many people would do that? One of the main sources of malware is torrent downloads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Has anyone slipstreamed SP3 onto their installation disc yet?

-
    Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

I have found that it works best on a clean install of Windows, this was true of both SP1 and SP2,
    attempting an install on an well-used system with lots of software on it will fail

Bebop wrote: »
    I have found that it works best on a clean install of Windows, this was true of both SP1 and SP2,
    attempting an install on an well-used system with lots of software on it will fail

I'm normally one for wiping my OS 2 to 3 times a year purely because it keeps everything humming nicely & it's no big deal for me.

However my main system has had the OS onboard for a full year now & is showing no signs of needing a reinstall.

I've deployed SP3 & it upgraded fine & so far all appears to be hunky dorey...

-

Sherifu wrote: »
    Yep.

Sherifu,

Did you delete the SP2 folder from the disc contents before the slip?

-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I tried slipstreaming it with one of the RC builds using AutoStreamer but it didn't work. :/

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Autostreamer-Download-13918.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

But how many people would do that? One of the main sources of malware is torrent downloads.

I agree. What I find strange though is Microsoft said they were delaying the release to fix some last minute bug they found but according to the md5 they haven't made any changes. :confused:

I agree. What I find strange though is Microsoft said they were delaying the release to fix some last minute bug they found but according to the md5 they haven't made any changes. :confused:

The problem is to do with users running a specific type of software & won't effect the majority of users.

SP3 can always be removed through the Add Remove feature in the Control Panel (Should you encounter issues) so it's not as if it's set in stone.

sp3zy2.jpg

I certainly wouldn't recommend using Torrents as a source for Service Packs updates. :eek:

-

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you have a single PC that's fairly up to date then you might only need 50-70 MB through windows update

if you have lots of PC's then here is the 316MB version
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

Oh look Microsoft treat third party hosting of service packs as priacy
    The Microsoft Download Center site is your only authorized web source for downloading a licensed copy of Windows XP Service Pack 3. To report a website offering unlicensed copies of Windows XP SP3 for download, please send e-mail to: piracy@microsoft.com or visit http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ReportingUs.mspx.

other SP3 links
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsxp/0a5b9b10-17e3-40d9-8d3c-0077c953a761.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

From the blog post:
    To help protect customers, we put filtering in place to prevent Windows Update from offering both service packs to systems running Microsoft Dynamics RMS. We are still testing a fix and are working to make it publicly available via Microsoft Download Center this month.

No bug fix in the SP. Just a change on Windows Update to prevent this being offered to Dynamics users.

Sherifu wrote: »
    Yep.

Did you use Autostreamer or nLite?

What size was the end result?

My XP Pro +SP2 disc is over 600MB as is so it ain't going to fit on CD if I Slip SP3 on top.

Did you scale yours down or did you burn it to DVD?

-

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) - resets & locks max half-open connection limit.

In January Microsoft released a security update "KB941644" which done the same but removal of this update gave you back control on your half open connections.

Now SP3 has locked it again.

Can it be adjusted now?

-

If the file has a digital cert from MS and passes OK then I've no problem with it. :)

Is the 316meg version posted earlier on this thread worth going for?

I've a quad core and I hear it'll boost the OS performance - fact or fiction?!

• Advertisement

Disregard last post - I downloaded, it installed it TWICE, and got the same error half way through:

XP.jpg

Any ideasd - the OS is program heavy and over a year old

Advertisement