Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP Service PAck 3 - ?!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

What Iolo product are you using? You might need to shut it down before running the installer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sticker wrote: »
    Is the 316meg version posted earlier on this thread worth going for?

I've a quad core and I hear it'll boost the OS performance - fact or fiction?!
    No need unless you have lots of PC's to update , as I posted a patched PC will have most of this already and only need a little more.

I've seen reports of up to 10% speed up on the interweb, but you would probably get that much by giving the pc a good cleanup anway. ANd that up to 10% don't mean 10% in everything all the time, jsut some stuff is 10% faster. And from a physological point of view us humans can notice stuff about an 1/8th diffrent from each other so 10% is at / below the threshold of noticing for the casual users unless the time it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

What Iolo product are you using? You might need to shut it down before running the installer.

System Mech 7 - How did you know?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

No need unless you have lots of PC's to update , as I posted a patched PC will have most of this already and only need a little more.

I've seen reports of up to 10% speed up on the interweb, but you would probably get that much by giving the pc a good cleanup anway. ANd that up to 10% don't mean 10% in everything all the time, jsut some stuff is 10% faster. And from a physological point of view us humans can notice stuff about an 1/8th diffrent from each other so 10% is at / below the threshold of noticing for the casual users unless the time it

Thanks Capt - I think I'll just let windows update to it's job and leave it at that... There was just a few scattered articles that said dual/quad cores would benefit greatly from the patch.

But I think you're right - any major updates would come down the update pipe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

System Mech 7 - How did you know?!
    Googled the module name in the error, suggested it was an Iolo product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

at least the error happens straight away , interesting that it seem to be AMD CPU's probably they tested less rather than a particular problem with the CPU.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Downloaded it via Windows Update, around 59meg for me and installed without issue.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

The 316meg is a standalone version. Handy if you have a newly installed machine and don't have any updates installed yet (or need to install it on a machine with no net connection). If you go via windows update, I'd assume it only installs the updates it needs, saving you time.

I've installed it myself, with no major problems (originally from a torrent)

I've also managed to slipstream it to an XP pro install disk, without a hitch.
    Only annoying thing is that my intel 3945 wireless card doesn't seem to be as willing to connect to weak signals as it did with SP2 (Those damn craft malware coders have struck again huh :D )

• Advertisement

Zapho wrote: »

I've also managed to slipstream it to an XP pro install disk, without a hitch.

Zapo,

Did you use nLite or Autostreamer to Slipstream it?

How did you fit it onto one CD (Or did you use a DVD)?

My SP2 disc is already over 600MB so the SP3 won't fit without removing a heap of stuff via nLite first.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I installed SP3 the other day and it seemed to be ok, but then when I left a virus scan over night (Bitdefender) when I checked it in the morning, the scan had finished but the desktop had frozen. A quick reboot and i get the error "NTLDR is missing - press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart". Did this, and then get and error - "No operating system found". Another reboot and the same problem. Dl'd a fix from another site and installed a bootable disk on a USB. Rebooted from the USB flash drive. nothing. Rebooted from the windows XP installation disc. Got to the screen that asks you weather you want to install XP, repair or unistall. I wanted to choose repair by pressing "R". Nothing. Turned off the machine and went onto komplett.

Any ideas?

newbie2 wrote: »
    I installed SP3 the other day and it seemed to be ok, but then when I left a virus scan over night (Bitdefender) when I checked it in the morning, the scan had finished but the desktop had frozen. A quick reboot and i get the error "NTLDR is missing - press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart". Did this, and then get and error - "No operating system found". Another reboot and the same problem. Dl'd a fix from another site and installed a bootable disk on a USB. Rebooted from the USB flash drive. nothing. Rebooted from the windows XP installation disc. Got to the screen that asks you weather you want to install XP, repair or unistall. I wanted to choose repair by pressing "R". Nothing. Turned off the machine and went onto komplett.

Any ideas?

Something similar happened to me before.

Boot into your BIOS & make sure your "Boot Order" is set correctly (As in set your boot device to CD first & HDD second.

Also check that if your drives are configured as a RAID that that is also set correctly in the BIOS.

-

Thanks man, I'll give it a go when I get home tonight. If I can't do anything with it - is there any solution to getting some of my files off of the c drive? Most of my stuff is stored on a separate drive, but some of "my documents' are stuck on the c drive. there aren't many but is there a way to get any of the stuff? or will this be ever known as "The great PC crash of 2008"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

As far as I can remember, try fixmbr from the admin console on the disc.
    If you need to grab the files of the disc a knoppix cd will sort you out.

You really should be able to recover from that error but if you eventually can't it is possible to retrieve your documents.

You would need to remove the drive & caddy it to another machine or install it as a second drive in another machine. Then you would need to take ownership of your user account & pull your documents off.

How to take ownership:

Claim Ownership Of Files From another Computer

This is particularly useful if you have the HDD from another machine installed or connected to yours.

Proceed as follows:

My computer,
    Tools,
    Folder options,
    View tab,
    Scroll to bottom and uncheck use simplified file sharing,

That gives u the security tab(Which wasn’t there before) when you properties a folder or file (As in right click it & choose properties)

When you’re in the security tab click advanced
    Owner tab,
    Highlight your machine,
    Check the replace owner box,
    Apply
    Ok

Then you’re the happy owner of the files on the third party drive.

thanks all. after letting the pc "rest" overnight, i checked the boot sequence and booted from the cd. started xp recovery and then rebooted from drive. windows did a chkdisc and booted up as normal. do you think the problem was related to d'ling sp3?

thanks again
    rafter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

Is the 316meg version posted earlier on this thread worth going for?

I've a quad core and I hear it'll boost the OS performance - fact or fiction?!

Hard to say..any increase in speed could be put down to the clean install of XP

Advertisement