Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the runway at knock airport

• 05-05-2008 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

just an observation, landed there yesterday, and had to taxi on it a couple of times due to to many planes at the terminal building, what i noticed was, that there seemed to be a number of parael ruts in the tarmac running the length of it, have never noticed this before, wasn't there an irish airport closed for a few days earlier this year, due to the runway, may have even been knock

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

I think Derry was closed due to lack of a bird control plan, and they also had an incedent with an aircraft sinking while taxiing. Haven't heard about any other closures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Neworder79 wrote: »
    I think Derry was closed due to lack of a bird control plan, and they also had an incedent with an aircraft sinking while taxiing. Haven't heard about any other closures.

sorry, your right, it was derry, still, unusual obersvation regarding the runway at knock though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Neworder79 wrote: »

Was it not something to do with the fact water wouldnt run off the runway effectively? Poor drainage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Steyr wrote: »
    Was it not something to do with the fact water wouldnt run off the runway effectively? Poor drainage?

Yeah I was gunna say that, had read somewhere many airports have that system to improve braking traction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Yea the runway is cut. Improves drainage and traction, the runway in Galway is the same and i think Shannon too. On narrow runways like Galway this type of surface is tough on tyres as large aircraft have a very tight turning circle. This is one of the reasons why a turning circle is being constructed in Galway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement