Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suicide on Dart Line.

Options
  • 05-05-2008 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

There was a very sad event today on the train I was on just before Booterstown....a man(I think) was killed in what I am sure was a suicide.

I feel very sad for the driver, his voice was trembling.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

He'll be straight into counselling. Unfortunately this is not too uncommon an event, there's procedures in place.

It's unlikely we'll hear any more about in the media however, if it is a suicide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

When did this happen?
    Nothing on breakingnews.ie and they're normally pretty fast with these stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

micmclo wrote: »
    When did this happen?

Eh today at about 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I also feel sad for the sucide victim ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭aoife000

When did this happen?

i might be wrong but i think i heard somewhere before that they tend not to report on suicides esp the likes of train suicides, in case it sparks off some copycat incidents.

very sad to hear these stories

• Advertisement

latchyco wrote: »
    I also feel sad for the sucide victim ...

:confused:, yeah like I said a very sad incident happened, a man(I think) comitted suicide.

Eh today at about 5.

Eh.....I'm not doubting you for a second, was just checking if it was on the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭aoife000

Eh.....I'm not doubting you for a second, was just checking if it was on the website.

oh god sorry, i didn't mean u doubted the OP. just was saying you probably won't hear as much about it reported as you'd expect, that's all

EDIT: Sorry micmclo, think i misunderstood and thought you'd been talking to me there, sorry bout that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

They're not reported very often.

I was on the train at the very top before when a woman jumped in front of the train at Raheny. Heard everything and saw a fair amount too. It's really not a pleasant situation for anyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

It has been reported on the last few news bullitens on todayFM as an incident on the line between booterstown and dun laoghaire.

• Advertisement

aoife000 wrote: »
    oh god sorry, i didn't mean u doubted the OP. just was saying you probably won't hear as much about it reported as you'd expect, that's all

EDIT: Sorry micmclo, think i misunderstood and thought you'd been talking to me there, sorry bout that

Yeah, it's getting confusing. :)

You raised a good point Aoife but I remember the Junior Cert student who did the same thing in Harmonstown last September and that was plastered all over the media.
    It might not be reported today but it'll be in the press for sure.

Sadly, these things seem to happen a few times a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Reminds me of the terrible accidental death of two young teenagers in uk about 2 years ago when in attempting to cross over to catch an early evening train home ran onto the blindside of track and were both instantly killed by oncoming train . Not suicide, but still terrible events for all concerned and present to witness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Not a nice way to go really.
    Being killed in such a messy way really must compound the families' grief. Very sad.

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Not a nice way to go really.
    Being killed in such a messy way really must compound the families' grief. Very sad.
    Please don't recommend ways of suicide - Agent Smith

This is just a comment on the method so don't reply back with obvious comments about the effect on the driver or the body afterwards. I'm just commenting on the effectivess of the method, you know what I mean

The thing was it was so weird to see the contrast in emotions.

One group was traumatised while others were joking. When I seen the persons arm, I was sick, I nearly wept, but to be honest it was pretty jovial. Human nature I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

The thing was it was so weird to see the contrast in emotions.

One group was traumatised while others were joking. When I seen the persons arm, I was sick, I nearly wept, but to be honest it was pretty jovial. Human nature I guess.

I'd agree. When I witnessed the same thing there was an odd mix of shock and light-heartedness. I don't think people were trying to be callus about it they just didn't how to act.

Nervous reaction and shock to a stressful situation.

I got knocked down once and started laughing to myself at the side of the road. There was nothing funny but you can see that people react in different ways.

So it's not suprising to see some people upset and some people jovial even if they see the same thing. It's all well researched at this stage if you want to look into it further

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

RIP to that poor person.

My heart goes out to the driver.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Awful for all involved. RIP.

I think there's fairly specific guidelines for how the media deals with these kind of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0505/rta.html

RTE just mention DART back running after an earlier incident - no details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its not uncommon. Laughter and crying are both emotional states, sometimes the brain doesn't know which one to engage.

Someone here on boards said they burst out laughing when they saw their grandmother in the coffin at the removal. It comes across as crass, but its a defence mechanism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oddeysius

I was on that DART too today and what really annoyed me was that there was a group of teens who were running between carriages treating the whole thing as a laugh.
    I know they were only young but they knew what had happened and it really was such a sign of disrespect to everyone else on board.

oddeysius wrote: »
    I was on that DART too today and what really annoyed me was that there was a group of teens who were running between carriages treating the whole thing as a laugh.
    I know they were only young but they knew what had happened and it really was such a sign of disrespect to everyone else on board.

Where were you? What carriage? I was wondering did people at upper parts of the train know what was happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oddeysius

I was 3/4 carriages from the back so I could see the paramedics and guards walking past but couldn't see anything. Had a fairly good idea what had happened once the driver hit the emergency brakes and you're right his voice was so shakey 1st time but credit to him he did pull himself together.

What carriage were you in?

oddeysius wrote: »
    I was 3/4 carriages from the back so I could see the paramedics and guards walking past but couldn't see anything. Had a fairly good idea what had happened once the driver hit the emergency brakes and you're right his voice was so shakey 1st time but credit to him he did pull himself together.

What carriage were you in?

Second last, this was where all the paramedics were, and where the man was placed. Everyone was moved up to the next carriage.

It was insane though, some obnoxious asshole when the train reached the station was like ''get out of my way and open that door' :eek:...I go to him, ''here calm down buddy''....he was disgusted...then he got on the lift, and didn't even wait for other older people to get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭DavidKay

It`s really sad to hear of any suicide whether it be on the Dart or where ever , life is over for them but does anyone think of the Dart driver!! he has this to live with forever!!

DavidKay wrote: »
    It`s really sad to hear of any suicide whether it be on the Dart or where ever , life is over for them but does anyone think of the Dart driver!! he has this to live with forever!!

Honestly I feel most for the mans family and the Driver.

I do feel for the man...what made him do this...its so sad, but I don't care to jump on front of a train knowing that somebody is driving it and will have to face something like that for a long long time is selfish.

*presuming he was in the right state of mind*

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

*presuming he was in the right state of mind*

The hint is in the topic of the thread

DELETED - Agent Smith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

DELETED - Agent Smith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement