Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query re German & Danish traffic law

Options
  • 05-05-2008 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hello, I'm hoping someone here can help me with some information. Apparently there's legislation in Germany and Denmark that (a) allows cyclists to overtake on the right (which would be the left in Ireland); (b) gives cyclists priority over right-turning motorists - i.e. right-turning motorists have to check for and yield to cyclists before they can turn.

If anyone can deliver a URL, a reference or a good lead I'd be very grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I might be able to put you in contact with people if you want to PM me you e-mail address.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Fnord wrote: »
    Hello, I'm hoping someone here can help me with some information. Apparently there's legislation in Germany and Denmark that (a) allows cyclists to overtake on the right (which would be the left in Ireland); (b) gives cyclists priority over right-turning motorists - i.e. right-turning motorists have to check for and yield to cyclists before they can turn.
    I don't remember that being the case, I did my test in Germany, but that was neither today nor yesterday.... I'll see if I can dig out the ol' Strassenverkehrsordnung and look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Fnord

Thanks to you both for the potential help!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Thanks to you both for the potential help!
    I checked-out a few German web sites that seek to explain the main points of the road traffic law for cyclists, and none of them mentioned allowing near-side overtaking by cyclists. In general, German road law takes the view that when you are legally on the main carriageway (i.e., no obligatory cycle path is provided, or using it would be dangerous) then you behave as any other road user.
    Out of interest, why do you need to know this - thinking of getting the Road Traffic Regs changed?

rp wrote: »
    Out of interest, why do you need to know this - thinking of getting the Road Traffic Regs changed?

Ideally yes. It's part of a joint project between local cycling advocacy groups (Dublin, Cork and Galway Cycling Campaigns, Skerries Cycling Initiative etc.).

Again, thank you for taking the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Does Irish traffic law not already allow filtering on the near side in the case of stationary or slowly moving traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Ideally yes. It's part of a joint project between local cycling advocacy groups (Dublin, Cork and Galway Cycling Campaigns, Skerries Cycling Initiative etc.).

Again, thank you for taking the time.

Any public interaction with this possible ? Do yee have a forum ? A website ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Verb wrote: »
    Any public interaction with this possible ? Do yee have a forum ? A website ?
    A national organisation is being considered, it the meantime www.dublincycling.ie - I am a member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Hi, you probably already know this but the Dublin Cycling Campaign has a Danish member who is very knowledgeable as well as plenty of local expertise. Give them a shout, I'm sure they'll save you some work.

Good luck with it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

rp wrote: »
    Near-side overtaking is mentioned in Irish RT regs although not in the precise contentxt of a cyclist squeezing up the gap between a car and the kerb.

As regards overtaking a cyclist and then turning, this would be forbidden by existing regulations if to do so would cause danger or inconvenience to anyone.

• Advertisement

The German references have now been found; the Danish, not yet, though we're following a lead or two.
    Verb wrote: »
    Any public interaction with this possible ?

Sure - all the groups involved are public.
    oobydooby wrote: »
    Hi, you probably already know this but the Dublin Cycling Campaign has a Danish member who is very knowledgeable as well as plenty of local expertise. Give them a shout, I'm sure they'll save you some work.

Good luck with it

Thanks - we tried this line of enquiry.

Advertisement