Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Rant

Options
  • 05-05-2008 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

Right, so I ordered a table from Argos on the 21st of March (€165). There delivery policy is 28 days AFAIK. I got a phone call 3 weeks ago saying that there was a problem with stock and I won't be receiving it until early May. I said that I may cancel it, but will think about it for a few days. At this stage I was in the mindset of cancelling the order and getting my money back.

A few days later I get a call saying that they have arrived in stock earlier than the initially delayed date and that it could be delivered to me on the 29th April. I said ok and it arrived last Tuesday.

So today I get around to opening the box, only to find that there is a nice big gash in the leather (its a leather stitched cover). There was a hole on the top of the box which I had initially assumed was made by the courier for grip seeing as just one guy carried it into the house (its a pretty heavy and awkward box to carry).

As if I wasn't pissed off enough with the ridiculous wait (39 days), now that its here its crocked. I will ring Argos tomorrow stating I want a full refund.

I assume I will be entitled to this at least?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

What did they say when you rang them?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fowley

you should be able to send it back, the standard 28 days (return policy) should only begin when you receive the goods. and they should be responsible for damage by the carrier.

but maybe the carrier has something that means if you sign for it the goods are in proper order.

they should be nice enough over it though. its not meant to be damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Gillo wrote: »
    What did they say when you rang them?

I haven't rang them yet. I only had my first look at it this evening. I'll be making a call tomorrow alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I also have a mini rant about Argos.....

I bought a LCD telly with built in DVD player last Nov and last weekend the DVD player decided to die on me.

So, lucky for me I still had all the original packing in the loft and went off to Argos with my receipt in hand.

I explained my problem and the guy who served me was very helpful and offered me a straight swap there and then. I was expecting them to send it off for repair so I was more than happy to accept a replacement.

BUT.....They didn't have any of these tv's in stock so they gave me a full refund on an Argos gift card and told me to check their website and when the tv is back in stock just buy another one with my gift card.

Happy days I thought...........until I checked the new catalogue only to discover that my tv has gone up by 80 euro :mad:

Now this of course isn't the staff's fault and they were as helpful as could be....but I am peeved that I will have to fork out 80 euro for the same tv to replace the dodgy one and I can't even go elsewhere to get one as I have this bloody gift card to spend.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Fizman wrote: »
    Right, so I ordered a table from Argos on the 21st of March (€165). There delivery policy is 28 days AFAIK. I got a phone call 3 weeks ago saying that there was a problem with stock and I won't be receiving it until early May. I said that I may cancel it, but will think about it for a few days. At this stage I was in the mindset of cancelling the order and getting my money back.

A few days later I get a call saying that they have arrived in stock earlier than the initially delayed date and that it could be delivered to me on the 29th April. I said ok and it arrived last Tuesday.

So today I get around to opening the box, only to find that there is a nice big gash in the leather (its a leather stitched cover). There was a hole on the top of the box which I had initially assumed was made by the courier for grip seeing as just one guy carried it into the house (its a pretty heavy and awkward box to carry).

As if I wasn't pissed off enough with the ridiculous wait (39 days), now that its here its crocked. I will ring Argos tomorrow stating I want a full refund.

By law, its repair, replacement or refund in that order by the company.

I do think Argos have a money back guarantee though for 28 days, although I am not sure.

Make sure you have your reciept.

• Advertisement

keefg wrote: »

I bought a LCD telly with built in DVD player last Nov and last weekend the DVD player decided to die on me.

So, lucky for me I still had all the original packing in the loft and went off to Argos with my receipt in hand.

I explained my problem and the guy who served me was very helpful and offered me a straight swap there and then. I was expecting them to send it off for repair so I was more than happy to accept a replacement.

BUT.....They didn't have any of these tv's in stock so they gave me a full refund on an Argos gift card and told me to check their website and when the tv is back in stock just buy another one with my gift card.

Happy days I thought...........until I checked the new catalogue only to discover that my tv has gone up by 80 euro :mad:

Now this of course isn't the staff's fault and they were as helpful as could be....but I am peeved that I will have to fork out 80 euro for the same tv to replace the dodgy one and I can't even go elsewhere to get one as I have this bloody gift card to spend.

Have you tried to contact the branch manager on this?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They were chancing their arm to give you a gift card, you shouldn't have taken the gift card and insteasd should have asked for a refund

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Cabaal wrote: »
    They were chancing their arm to give you a gift card, you shouldn't have taken the gift card and insteasd should have asked for a refund
    And they would most likely have turned around and said no, it goes to repairs instead and we'll let you have it once it's back.

To OP, Argos operate a very generous policy in regards to exchanges etc. so you shoudl have no problem getting a full refund with in the first month from delivery of any item.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nody wrote: »
    To OP, Argos operate a very generous policy in regards to exchanges etc. so you shoudl have no problem getting a full refund with in the first month from delivery of any item.

I'd have to agree with this, never had issues getting stuff sorted with them over the years]
    #

SDooM wrote: »
    By law, its repair, replacement or refund in that order by the company.

I do think Argos have a money back guarantee though for 28 days, although I am not sure.

Make sure you have your reciept.

Yes I still have the receipt thankfully. Seeing as the bloody thing took pretty much 40 days to arrive after i purchased it, I wonder will that affect the returns policy!?

I will be ringing them this afternoon, and at this stage I would just like my money back. I don't really intend waiting another 40 days for a table when I could drop into Instore or somewhere and pick something similar up for the same price or possibly cheaper.

• Advertisement

Yes I still have the receipt thankfully. Seeing as the bloody thing took pretty much 40 days to arrive after i purchased it, I wonder will that affect the returns policy!?

I will be ringing them this afternoon, and at this stage I would just like my money back. I don't really intend waiting another 40 days for a table when I could drop into Instore or somewhere and pick something similar up for the same price or possibly cheaper.

I would assume that the 28 days begins from when you get it home, it'd be fairly pointless otherwise!

Make sure to remain calm and reasonable when discussing it but state your case why you consider it unacceptable. I know that you are annoyed but remember human nature- if you are being reasonable, the person you are dealing with will try harder to be reasonable too. (I'm not saying you won't be :))

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That is one of the reasons why combos aren't a good idea. If one part breaks your left with a nearly useless object. Unless you really love the LCD/DVD combo would you not be better off buying an LCD and a seperate DVD, then if one goes bad you don't have to replace both.

Did you get the combo on sale? If so they will only give you back the sale price. If you still want the combo, call the branch and explain to a manager that you want a replacement and can they reserve one for you when they come back in. You'll have to give back your vouchers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Apart from the fact that the item took a bit longer to arrive then expected, what have Argos done wrong here?

You got the item, in a damaged box. Did you point this out to the delivery person? Then when you open the box the item you ordered is damaged. Your 1st action is to log onto a website and give out about Argos, when you'd made no attemp to contact them.

As the others have said any dealings I've had with Argos they have always been more then helpfull. Ring them and they will more then likely help you out.

But you could have issues with the damage as you never pointed out the damage to the delivery person and most courier companies require you to do this before making a claim. But it being Argos I think they will be helpfull, though I doubt you will get your money back.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Apart from the fact that the item took a bit longer to arrive then expected, what have Argos done wrong here?

You got the item, in a damaged box. Did you point this out to the delivery person? Then when you open the box the item you ordered is damaged. Your 1st action is to log onto a website and give out about Argos, when you'd made no attemp to contact them.

As the others have said any dealings I've had with Argos they have always been more then helpfull. Ring them and they will more then likely help you out.

But you could have issues with the damage as you never pointed out the damage to the delivery person and most courier companies require you to do this before making a claim. But it being Argos I think they will be helpfull, though I doubt you will get your money back.

Well when I first noticed the damage, it was about 9.30 pm on a bank holiday monday, so my chances of contacting anybody at this time were slim to none. I did log on to their site but again any suggested action would have been pointless at the time!

At this point I was just fuming that after waiting pretty much 7 weeks for a table which i was led to believe would arrive within 4. Was online anyway so decided sure why not post it?! Maybe I might find out if someone had a previous experience.

As I said in my original post, when the lone courier came into the house and placed the box against a wall, one of his hands seemed to come from the area where the damage was. I simply assumed he made this hole himself for grip! Not too unreasonable an assumption I don't think! NOTE: On the side of the box there is a large sticker declaring the wait of the item and it also clearly states that it is to be carried by TWO people!! I wonder what the courier company would have to say about this!

Anyway,I rang the store today and the girl was very pleasant/helpful. She recommended however, that I get in touch with Argos Direct (shipping co), and their number was only contactable through a land line, to which I had no access today, so tomorrow it is. I do feel I will be able to get a full refund however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Having worked for the company for too many years, I have said it here before and I'll say it again - never use Argos Direct. On your delivery manifest there should be a UK number which is contactable only via landline. If you ring them and explain what happened and you wish to get a refund. They may be able to facilitate a store refund, whereby they will allow you to bring it to your closest store and obtain a refund. Otherwise you will need to wait for collection (up to another 14 days) and only when you get your collection manifest, can you get a refund. Remember to bring all delivery documentation to the store when you go to get your refund, as the store will need your receipt with delivery number and your collection manifest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

argos are a load of crap.

A guy I know reservered GTA4 online went to collect it and was told that it was gone ??? So then they said they had it at another store and gave him a new reservations number for there. He went there and they told him that it was gone also. Great service by idots :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

rom wrote: »
    argos are a load of crap.

A guy I know reservered GTA4 online went to collect it and was told that it was gone ??? So then they said they had it at another store and gave him a new reservations number for there. He went there and they told him that it was gone also. Great service by idots :)

Well they probably didnt get enough stock to meet the demand, or Rockstar didnt send enough, or the guy you know didnt use the reserve function properly. Probably not argos fault at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

or maybe its staff buying up GTA4 for their friends/family?

Just an update on this!

Got the table collected this morning and a full refund will be given once I bring the collection receipt into one of the stores. In fairness, the girl I spoke to firstly in the shop itself, and then the girl with Argos Direct were both very helpful/friendly/apologetic about the whole thing! So no complaints about their customer service! I'd still think twice in future about getting things through home delivery (Direct) from them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

and also, rant on boards as a last resort, I can't stress that enough :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Another Argos rant.

I bought a sofa from them in July 2007 on a 6 month interest free option.

Filled out the forms,gave the bank details etc.
    Checked the bank in August--nothing taken,same in September.
    Rang their credit department and they had no details of me ever buying anything from them.Sent in all the forms again--month later still no money taken from the account,same the next month(we`re up to November/December now)

I get a phone call in January saying that I had to pay the full amount within 5 days or else my interest free period was up and Id have to pay the full amount which btw is charged at 30% apr--loan shark rates.

I eventually went down to the branch where I bought the sofa,got in touch with the manager and he finds all the forms still in a drawer(yep 6 months later)

He extends the interest free period for another 6 months and this week Ive just finished paying for the thing that I shouldve had paid for in January (actually earlier if their bank wasnt such a fook up either)

Anyone buying interest free from Argos beware.Also beware that their bank do not allow you to setup a standing order to clear the balance early.

Rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The bank is HFC and they are used by many high st companies to provide credit for customers. The balloon payment is set out in the T&C's which you should have read before you signed up. Anyway any "interest free" option offered by companies are a complete rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I bought approx 12 different items just before xmas 2007 incl a PS2, digital camera, kettle, games.
    Each of these 4 items went faulty over a period of 2 weeks, but in fairness to Argos, they replaced each item straight away even though I did not have the original packaging for most of them. Full marks for service. :)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Nightwish wrote: »
    Anyway any "interest free" option offered by companies are a complete rip off.

Depends on the company. the Brown Thomas interest free option was responsible for a lot of our furniture and home electronics and we hadn't a moment of hassle with it.

Advertisement