Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my problems with dublin...have gone

Options
  • 05-05-2008 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

ok some of you might remember a few threads of mine about how crappy dublin is, but in the midst of the lovely weather today I take it back. The atmosphere was amazing....god I love this city.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Yes, when the sun shines, Ireland is the best place in the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The weather in the dublin area for next 10 weeks is continious rain :D

* kidding kidding ,had yis worried *

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

was this 'atmosphere' before/after somebody jumped under a train and you saw their dismembered arms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Tails142 wrote: »
    was this 'atmosphere' before/after somebody jumped under a train and you saw their dismembered arms?

Sadly before.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I noticed one of the (many)junkies at Merchant's Arch enjoying a bottle of rose wine just this afternoon. The sun brings a smile to us all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

Enii wrote: »
    Yes, when the sun shines, Ireland is the best place in the world!
    Midwest Of America on a warm summer evening.That's the best place on earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

i have to agree with the OP although town was fairly quiet tonight but it was crawling with junkies. must be the good weather.

slightly off topic: anyone notice a decrease in the ammount of gypsies recently?

Had a good talk with a gypsie women today. Down by Pearse Station...very interesting...not great or even good english but very nice. Proper Gyspy.

But yeah have noticed the decline of them. I feel bad for them at times, but they can be annoying.

Judas imagine if Tuesday was a bank holiday as well? I bet town would have been class tonight.

Also one of the big things I noticed was the rise of the skinheads....Jesus christ, these didn't look like wannabes, they just looked like absolute scum.

I don't think I had seen a skinhead since 2000 when I was a kid before today.

Yeah, makes me wish I went out yesterday.

Ive the week off before exams next week so hopefully it'll stay fine so i can get some good relaxing/drinking in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 arcalzo

get real. where have these people been?? if you think ireland is the best country in the world, sun shining or not, you need a reality check. all i see in the streets of every town are nacker-types hangin round, and the ratrace prudish middle class clodhopping through town in a rush to get back to their little caves in suburbia.

as for culture and community and connection - the only contact youre gonna have with a local in dublin on the average day will be on the north side, and it will come in the form of an apple or stone across the back of your head.

compare this to the community and normality of much of mediterranean europe (with the exception of spain) - smaller french and italian towns, maltese and greek towns, where the atmosphere is so congenial, and theres everyone from the age of 2 to 90 in the street come of evening, chatting, having a drink, having a flirt, having a coffee, an icecream, strolling round, whatever. easy going, relaxed, non-threatening.
    Ireland - average town, come 8 pm only people on the streets are people hurrying from bar to bar and louts. look for somewhere you can have a coffee - every cafe in dublin closes at 6 (for most part). have an affordable bite out - try a sandwich in centra and sit on a park bench in the lashing rain.
    Get a life guys - take a few years off down in south east asia or south eastern europe, or just be in ireland and get real. sick of hearing about how great this country is from bloated 30 somethings that see nothing other than the computer terminal on their office desks 90% of the time.

arcalzo wrote: »
    get real. where have these people been?? if you think ireland is the best country in the world, sun shining or not, you need a reality check. all i see in the streets of every town are nacker-types hangin round, and the ratrace prudish middle class clodhopping through town in a rush to get back to their little caves in suburbia.

as for culture and community and connection - the only contact youre gonna have with a local in dublin on the average day will be on the north side, and it will come in the form of an apple or stone across the back of your head.

compare this to the community and normality of much of mediterranean europe (with the exception of spain) - smaller french and italian towns, maltese and greek towns, where the atmosphere is so congenial, and theres everyone from the age of 2 to 90 in the street come of evening, chatting, having a drink, having a flirt, having a coffee, an icecream, strolling round, whatever. easy going, relaxed, non-threatening.
    Ireland - average town, come 8 pm only people on the streets are people hurrying from bar to bar and louts. look for somewhere you can have a coffee - every cafe in dublin closes at 6 (for most part). have an affordable bite out - try a sandwich in centra and sit on a park bench in the lashing rain.
    Get a life guys - take a few years off down in south east asia or south eastern europe, or just be in ireland and get real. sick of hearing about how great this country is from bloated 30 somethings that see nothing other than the computer terminal on their office desks 90% of the time.

I'm 18.

Do you seriously think that there is no scumbags in Madrid, Barcelona or Rome?

You can't compare Dublin to your little yearly holiday to some shack in the Mezzogiorno. Its a city. I do agree about cafés closing early to be fair. I think its a bit of a dissapointment.

Dublin is no better or worse than a city like Barcelona, Rome, or Lyon.

Dublin is the friendliest city in Europe so your talking **** really.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/mhojcwqlqley/rss2/

arcalzo, I or no one else said that ireland is the best place to live in the world but rather that its not all that bad when it clears up a bit.

i've travelled extensively and i intend to travel much more after i finish my degree in summer. your argument is ridiculous. it well and good for you to say to go and travel to south east asia where you can take advantage of their low cost of living due to the privileges living in ireland has afforded you such as your college education.

too many people such as yourself take such liberties for granted. if you were born in south east asia you'd change youre tune my friend. get a grip, cop on to yourslef. dont be such a moaner. if you dont like dublin or youre life here, why not move to one of the places youve mentioned above?

dont make preconceptions about the rest of us on here. everywhere has social problems and those of dublin are much less than most large cities ive seen.

do everyone a favour and lose the attitude. the only thing wrong with dublin in people like you who by the sound of it have had everything handed to them on a plate for too long.

welcome to boards by the way.

know what ye're saying, but guys ye gotta get away for a long stretch - when ive been out of the country (great majority of my years), its often been in conditions at an economic level at or lower that of the local population - ie living in the likes of Manila Philippines, having to go days with little to eat, and working All kinds of jobs to make ends meet.

But whether in Cebu city, KL or Rome for that matter, I've rarely felt in the slightest bit threatened in any, anywhere but in the roughest of neighbourhoods. this is in sharp contrast to Irish and UK cities, where the loutish, "have you gotta problem" attitude is what you get if you so much as make eye-contact with anyone (south side of dublin isnt too bad in my opinion though - harder to avoid the nack loser types on weekends in the likes of central cork).

So where's it happening tonight lads - where is the hedonistic surging street party, where the girls or boys are only too happy to get it on and make it happen and just have a great night (which isnt defined as sleeping in your own vomit) - i can show you a hundred places in Rio, bangkok, New York or paris - in dublin all we have are the disgruntled working classes and the disgruntled middleclasses, and your typical treadmill rat so caught up on his life of petty goals aimed at creating a life of safe and secure comforts, and forfeiting all higher hopes and longer aims. living a deferred life ,that means grinding it out for 40 years and then equating happiness with inactivity at 65. finishing college courses where they learn little or nothing, and see it as the means to a safe and secure little life.
    Im not against people having things handed to them on plates - roll it on is what i say - but such has not always been the case in my circs, but regardless ive managed to explore many far-flung places for prolonged periods, working my way around a lot of the time - though happy to freeRoll if i have available capital. Regardless, i can only say that Dublin is one bloody boring city unless you're a stereotypical paddywhacking, beer swilling, football watching, beergut flaunting Mick.If you dont fit into this category, the place is anywhere from frustrating to depression inducing.

It was the second poster in the thread that said ireland was the best place with sun shining - a ridiculous idea that was echoed by some tabloid writer last year - who also obviously knows of nothing outside of ireland, other than a week or month here or there in the med - probably in some over developed resort in southern spain - where she was taunted for her pasty beer-gut by the local kids.
    I certainly wouldnt quote barcelona and rome in the same sentence though, or equate them in any way culturally or otherwise. both do have a petty theft problem which is also now creeping into ireland, but not on the same scale, but barcelona is a pale and soulless shell of a city, synthetic and modern and for the most part grid-like, compared to a grand historical labyrnth of a city like rome, with its copious parks and the whole stretch of the Tiber reaching through the city, tree-lined and beautiful.Barcelona does have the beach, one advantage, but there are a good few beaches at lido di ostia just 30 minutes from rome.
    ok im sick of writing this rubbish - gonna book a flight back to SEA - ill be down in a club in Phnomh Penh by next week, wondering what in the hell i was doing on an internet forum at 1 am, when there were so many cool places to be, and cool people to be with, in the real flesh.
    but if dublin is your thing - and people who automatically avert their gaze when you look at them is your ticket - more power to you. just not my buzz. more of a dublin problem than all ireland also - though im not suggesting that youre going to find a paradise in any other part of the country - but hard to be any worse than dublin in fairness. Id rather eek out the rest of my days in the sunshine and in poverty, in a place that had respect for people and a sense of community, than live in "Grub City".
    dont pay any attention to these charlatan reports about dublin being friendly or happy or whatever. theyre based on pseudo science if anything - and then peddled out by the tabloids.
    the ones about happiness are also rubbish - its a very individual issue. If you're a teetotaling muslim who enjoys sports like skiing and snowboarding - youre going to find a lot of places unsatisfying.
    have an honest discussion with anyone - irish expat, someone with a bit of extended world perspective, and theyll set u straight very quickly. It was only last week that i was out at dublin airport, waiting for a bus, to get back into town, to have to painfully witness the looks of disappointment and disheartenment on the faces of a couple of french tourists as they were fobbed off by a dublin bus conductor as they tried to look for directions. I ended up falling asleep on the bus as it wound to heuston station, so wasnt paying much attention to what was going on, but discovered upon alighting that the french tourists had also been ferried as far as heuston, as the driver never alerted them to where the city centre was - somethign they had been asking for out at the airport.
    ok im retiring for the evening, but all id say to anyone that can resonate with anything i say is, dont be surprised if you're frustrated or depressed or unfulfilled in a provincial and boring excuse of a place like dublin. it is drab, grey and rundown (outside of a few central streets), by any standards. The roads are disastrous, and there is little else going on other than pint-swilling. anything else that is going on, is quickly followed by pint swilling, and people who think their lives aim is to be a standup comic, or get as drunk or stoned as possible.
    the fatal problem with dublin, reported in Joyce's seminal work Dubliners, and unchanged since 1904, is PARALYSIS. (Get your dictionaries ready:) Bibulous shiftlessness, and Waste where lives are frittered away by living in denial - denial about the real state of affairs. denial about unfulfilled hopes dreams and expectations. The adoption of a superficial attitude that everything is "grand" - when its far from grand.
    I know its not the worst place on the planet, and it suits some people just fine - great - but lets get rid of this paddywhackery of denial and admit to the problems and issues, and start dealing with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

judas101 wrote: »
    i have to agree with the OP although town was fairly quiet tonight but it was crawling with junkies. must be the good weather.

One of the funniest and saddest movies ever...

'Adam and Paul', 24hrs in the life of two addicts trying to score in Dublin.

If I could wake up anywhere tomorrow morning to see the sunrise I'd choose the hills of South Lebanon and looking out accross the Sea of Galilee (Israel) - there's nothing like the sights, smells and sounds of those hills.

judas101 wrote: »
    arcalzo, I or no one else said that ireland is the best place to live in the world but rather that its not all that bad when it clears up a bit.

i've travelled extensively and i intend to travel much more after i finish my degree in summer. your argument is ridiculous. it well and good for you to say to go and travel to south east asia where you can take advantage of their low cost of living due to the privileges living in ireland has afforded you such as your college education.

too many people such as yourself take such liberties for granted. if you were born in south east asia you'd change youre tune my friend. get a grip, cop on to yourslef. dont be such a moaner. if you dont like dublin or youre life here, why not move to one of the places youve mentioned above?

dont make preconceptions about the rest of us on here. everywhere has social problems and those of dublin are much less than most large cities ive seen.

do everyone a favour and lose the attitude. the only thing wrong with dublin in people like you who by the sound of it have had everything handed to them on a plate for too long.

welcome to boards by the way.

DITTO

'arcalzo', take your moaning, crying & bitch'n to AH were the rest of the 'moaning, crying & bitching' muppets hangout.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mairt wrote: »
    One of the funniest and saddest movies ever...

'Adam and Paul', 24hrs in the life of two addicts trying to score in Dublin.

Yeah very sad movie but it had some seriously classic funny moments -

Old man sat on bench - (In Eastern European accent) "I had to leave Sofia"

Response - "Was she pregnant?"

Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Regardless, i can only say that Dublin is one bloody boring city unless you're a stereotypical paddywhacking, beer swilling, football watching, beergut flaunting Mick.

Arcalzo, you haven't a notion about Dublin and what it has to offer. Have you canoed the liffey? Sailed in the bay? Seen every gallery and museum? Have you climbed the hills?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yeah very sad movie but it had some seriously classic funny moments -

Old man sat on bench - (In Eastern European accent) "I had to leave Sofia"

Response - "Was she pregnant?"

Brilliant!

:D

great fun alright - especially in the driving hailstones in June, and trying to dodge the shopping trolleys and toxic waste is always a good laugh - yah, dublin has some good points alright!
    Nice day today though so Im off out to some beaches in th west - shame to waste it at a computer.

• Advertisement

trying to dodge the shopping trolleys and toxic waste is always a good laugh

:rolleyes: I knew you didn't know the city. The liffey is clean as a whistle, has been for years.

When you have done all of the below, come back to me.

Go sailing in Dublin bay.

Climb the Sugarloaf its only a hill.

Walk the full lenght of the Bull Wall.

Go to Howth and feed the seals.

Order chicken wings in Elephant and Castle.

Eat in Saba with a gang of friends.

Go to the botanical gardens, have some food in Andersons after.

Shoot the sluice rappids on the river Liffey.

Go to the Zoo.

Do the Kilmainham Gaol tour.

Go and see the bogmen in the museum.

Go to the National Art Gallery.

Take a trip to Irelands Eye.

Do the hop on hop off bus trip.

Do the Sea Safari.

Do the Viking spash tour.

Do the 1916 tour.

Do the Guinness hops tour.

I think there is a good whisky tour in Smithfield.

No excuses, all are doable, and won't cost you a fortune.

hey youre right - there are some good points and know what youre saying - very much into outdoor activities myself - if there were more friendly dudes like you around the place, the city would be a different place.

if there were more friendly dudes like you around the place, the city would be a different place.

I was out in Howth for dinner on Saturday the 3rd with a couple from Athlone. Great dinner, chatting to a few heads on the way home on the Dart... The Midlanders thought Dublin was incredibly friendly. I do too. I guess its where you go and where you hang around. I used to be in town every Thursday, Friday and Saturday and I only once got hassle. Once in five years. I still go in to town often, I find it easy not to get into conflict. Maybe I'm more streetwise than you, maybe I just avoid bad areas.

When you visit foreign cities you generally stick to the tourist trail. Believe me, Paris, Barcelona and Prague, all the big European cities have much worse scumbags than us.

Seriously, Arcalzo, try the list, Dublin is great fun.

lightening wrote: »
    Dublin is great......

......In EIGHTY-EIGHT...

Anyone remember the millenium ads?.

millennium.gif

Although I spent six months of it in the hills of southern Lebanon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭LaVidaLoca

Arcazo says. Some of it is a sentiment I hear all to often:
    gonna book a flight back to SEA - ill be down in a club in Phnomh Penh by next week,

You're comparing Dublin when you're working to South East Asia when you're on holiday.

Try comparing the life of the average Dubliner to the life of the average citizen of Phnom Penh. And I guarantee you every one of those citizens (except the ones who are personal friends of Hun Sen's government), would give one of their limbs (the ones they've got left anyway) to live in a place a as peaceful, as easy going, as clement and as full of food and nice cosy 8- hour workdays as Dublin.

Yes, compared to other European countries we are a cultural desert, and most of us are dumb as a bag of hammers, and getting smashed is about the only thing anybody knows how to do.

But for ****s sake be thankful for what you've got.

LaVidaLoca wrote: »
    Yes, compared to other European countries we are a cultural desert, and most of us are dumb as a bag of hammers, and getting smashed is about the only thing anybody knows how to do.

Who are you comparing us to, and what have they got over us?.

LaVidaLoca wrote: »
    Yes, compared to other European countries we are a cultural desert, and most of us are dumb as a bag of hammers, and getting smashed is about the only thing anybody knows how to do..

Speak for yourself. Every one of my friends and family are not what you just described. Just cause you see them in town doesn't mean everyone is doing it.

lightening wrote: »
    :Do the 1916 tour.

I've some Israeli friends visiting soon and would be interested in this one.

Do you have anymore information on it?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Mairt wrote: »
    I've some Israeli friends visiting soon and would be interested in this one.

Do you have anymore information on it?.
    Linky.

• Advertisement

I'd say that would be right up your ally Mairt, and the Kilmainham Gaol tour.

Advertisement