Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my problems with dublin...have gone

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭singloud

dublin does look like a great place in the sun but the atmosphere around soome of the shopping centres really does me sadness

(Rathfarnam, Nutgrove etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

singloud wrote: »
    dublin does look like a great place in the sun but the atmosphere around soome of the shopping centres really does me sadness

(Rathfarnam, Nutgrove etc)

Shopping centres are horrible, soulless places wherever you go in the world. I really despise them. I like real streets in real places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭singloud

i dont mind the square too much

suits me fine

but some of the others are really iffy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

BendiBus wrote: »
    Shopping centres are horrible, soulless places wherever you go in the world. I really despise them. I like real streets in real places.

Agreed. Everytime another SC is built, a little part of the world dies.

I love Meath Street, such personality, everyshop is a one off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Dundrum shopping centre is an ok to place to kill an hr or so but looks just like every other shopping mall i have being in around ireland uk and abroad .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

Also one of the big things I noticed was the rise of the skinheads....Jesus christ, these didn't look like wannabes, they just looked like absolute scum.

I don't think I had seen a skinhead since 2000 when I was a kid before today.

What exactly is wrong with skinheads?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Do you mean real skinheads, like the ones we used to see in the 80s? or just scumbags with skinheads? I like the original ones, as long as they're not violent facists!
    As for the dude going on the long rant - I agree with a lot of what you say, I mean it's true. The majority of people in Dublin seem to have no respect for their fellow citizens or the city itself. I've never been anywhere else in the world (although I'm sure UK is the same) where you can get kicked to death for making eye contact with the wrong bloke. People are always getting seriously hurt by other people for no reason. Just because of the loutish culture we have in Ireland. That does NOT exist in Spain or Germany or any other Euro country I can think of (UK excluded). I've never had any trouble there and I've been all over Europe. My uncle was killed 10 years ago by teenagers on his way home because he had no cigarettes to give them. They stamped on his head until he was dead, 20 meters from his home, they were never convicted, they got off on a technicality, typical f**king irish justice. I got glassed in the head randomly walking down westmoreland st a few years ago. If you hold ANY public event in the city that is publicised and free, e.g. st patrick's day, it will be full of scumbags starting fights and being obnoxious. I remember getting hidings at "The beat in the street" in the early 90s from inner city kids because I dressed different and didn't have the same haircut. They can't just let loose for the day and enjoy themselves and talk to everyone around them. That's what happens down here, there is no divide even though some are much poorer than others.
    So it's this underclass that I hate most about Dublin, the underclass that throw their rubbish around the city without even thinking about it and dump their rubbish bags all over summerhill because they don't want to waste their dole on bin tags.
    And Lightening - yeah you can do some stuff in Ireland but 99% of the time the weather will be SH*TE. Most people prefer to save up a bit and do these things on the continent, the facilities will be much better, it will be cheaper, and you're guaranteed good weather in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    That does NOT exist in Spain or Germany or any other Euro country I can think of (UK excluded). I've never had any trouble there and I've been all over Europe.

Sorry about your uncle BraziliaNZ...

But your wrong, it does. It happens all over Spain, Germany, Italy and France among others. Just because you don't see it when your on a weekend city break doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Cops get killed after football matches in Rome, indiscriminate beatings are handed out daily all over Germany and France because of skin colour or religion. Have you seen the slums in Paris??

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    And Lightening - yeah you can do some stuff in Ireland but 99% of the time the weather will be SH*TE. Most people prefer to save up a bit and do these things on the continent, the facilities will be much better, it will be cheaper, and you're guaranteed good weather in the summer.

Using the excuse of bad weather is simply lazy. I sail or surf in Ireland every weekend. Wear the right gear and your grand. I was sailing in the bay last night, no wind, but we were all in t-shirts. I walk on Dollymount and St. Annes park every morning, it rained about 5 times on me in a year (it actually rained this morning) I also do a good bit of traveling around the world, and I still maintain Dublin is a brilliant city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

BendiBus wrote: »
    Shopping centres are horrible, soulless places wherever you go in the world.

Well said. Molls are horrific places. Give me town any day where I can eat any type of food from around the world, not just American fast food. I went to liffey valley once. Never again.

Advertisement