Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Future Wordpress Website - A few questions

Options
  • 05-05-2008 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, I'm just looking for a little advice.

I'm interested in setting up a personal website which would be home to my blog and kinda an online portfolio.

I'm imagining that it's going to have about 5 sections. Blog, Photography, Illustration, and a section for some sites I've made for college and stuff.

So, I've set up my site with wordpress but I'm unsure of the best way to go about what I want.

I'd like to have a "Blog" thing for each of my sections. So say, I post a new photo, I want people to have the ability to comment on each photo individually. Same for illustrations, etc.

Then, on the home page, I'd like to have like a latest posts from each section on the homepage. With my limited php knowledge I'm imagining that it's easy enough to call the latest post from each section and desplay them on a different page.

I'm aware that I'm looking at a highly customised Wordpress theme here but I'm just asking if what I'm wanting to do is possible, and what would the easiest way to do it. Would the "pages" feature in WP do what I'm wanting?

Thanks a million :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭leonvquinn

Off the top of my head I'd say setup your required blog categories from the wordpress admin, ie - Blog, Photography, etc..and just blog away, placing your posts in the specific category.

Then go and download the Exec-PHP wordpress plugin from www.wordpress.org/extend/plugins/exec-php/ and install it.

This will let you use custom php commands in wordpress posts, pages and widgets, directly from the admin. You'll need to look for php code to display a list of recent posts from specific categories but this probably already exists somewhere in the wordpress code.

Alternatively, just look for a plugin that does exactly what you want - theres plugins for everything!

Heres a cool script that converts rss feeds to html, it might help.

www.extralabs.net/feed2html.zip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Cheers man, I'll have a gawk at those plugins.

Advertisement