Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cafe Society

• 05-05-2008 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here ever eaten in Cafe Society....this is where i need your help Xiney,I could do with one of your outstanding reviews as you are our restaurant critic here!
    Thinking of going for a meal here on Saturday evening but don't know what its like.I know they had a fairly good reputation for lunchtime meals but have not heard any feed back about their evening meals.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Had a burger from there one lunchtime a year or so back that was still partly frozen in the middle.. so don't think I'd personally eat there again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Thats not a good sign!

Thanks for the feedback though.

Where would you recommend for a meal with a few young folks like myself,looking for something decent and relatively good value with a wide variety on the menu.
    Has anyone been to Caesars on rockwood parade?

Caesar's is fantastic food.. and cheap too.

I'd thoroughly recommend that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Another restaurant / cafe thread?

Why can't it be a sticky again? ( Serious question here lads!).

We have been to Cafe Society a few times. We found it very cheap, we had curries on all occassions and we have no complaints. We were impressed that all the things on the menu could've been made smaller for the wee ones -not your usual kids menu that we detest!
    Service is great, friendly, fast.
    If you want cheap and cheerful, this is your place!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Another restaurant / cafe thread?

Why can't it be a sticky again? ( Serious question here lads!).

We have been to Cafe Society a few times. We found it very cheap, we had curries on all occassions and we have no complaints. We were impressed that all the things on the menu could've been made smaller for the wee ones -not your usual kids menu that we detest!
    Service is great, friendly, fast.
    If you want cheap and cheerful, this is your place!

Had a great curry the first time I went. Then a wonderful crepe with banana ice cream nuts and chocolate the second! The third wasnt as great, it was a lunch time, too much bones in another asian chicken dish which was abit of a nuisance. Did get talking to the owner one of the times I was in , the crepe one as she couldnt get over me eating the size of the thing i did. (I am kinda slim so people dont expect me to guzzle down these kinda things). She has a great attitude about cooking with fresh ingredients, and from scratch. Thats why I was surprised basquille to hear of your frozen burger situ. :(
    I'd go back again. The staff/owner very friendly. Nice to see the food prepared beside you. Very reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

I've been there on a few occasions and I've got to say that I've been very impressed with the quality, price and portion size of the food there. I shall send out the Xiney signal so she can come to this thread post haste.

5gwgxb

I've been there on a few occasions and I've got to say that I've been very impressed with the quality, price and portion size of the food there. I shall send out the Xiney signal so she can come to this thread post haste.

5gwgxb

So do ye ever talk to each other face to face?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

tuppence wrote: »

LMAO! :D

I don't know where cafe society is? Nor do I know where coach lane is? :confused:

But I have been to Caesars and it was lovely so I would recommend there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Xiney, tuppence is asking us whether we ever talk face to face. What should I say? :p
    takola wrote: »
    I don't know where cafe society is? Nor do I know where coach lane is? :confused:

But I have been to Caesars and it was lovely so I would recommend there! :)
    Cafe Society is on Teeling Street, at the pedestrian crossing just before you get to the Garda Station. Coach Lane/Donaghy's is just across the road from the bus station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Ha, was scrubbing the bathrooms. Too bad I threw out the sponge already, I'd have pelted it at you Mr. Xiney. You dink.

Anyway, I really liked Cafe Society - I know Basq had a bad experience there but I'd say staff have probably changed since then and the current ones certainly know how to cook.

I love the menu - it's extensive. A good mix of asian (indian), pasta, and irish food. They do breakfasts all day I believe, although that might only be on weekends. I know once when I was in there someone asked for breakfast food in the afternoon and they got it, though it might have been a special consideration.

As others have said, the chicken curry is very nice, good portion for the price also. In fact, the prices are extremely reasonable all around, and don't forget to ask about the specials!

My one complaint is that though they have plenty of indian food, they only do a crappy chai "latte" which is flavoured with syrup. *sigh*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

:confused:

Why would you talk face to face when you have the boards?

Owner/ manageress is very friendly, she didn't mind when the wee man dropped his food everywhere when he was a very wee man the first time we went there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The back of Cafe Society backs out onto the car park of my office... and the feckin smell from that place is wretched. Honestly - it's woeful. Plus they use industrial size barrels of extremely cheap cooking oil. That combination's put me off ever eating there... the guy who owns the place is sound though - he always says hello & looks a bit like Chemical Ally!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

The majority of restaurants would use large drums of cheap cooking oil. I don't think they deserve a black mark for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

sueme wrote: »
    The majority of restaurants would use large drums of cheap cooking oil.

Not the ones I eat in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

The back of Cafe Society backs out onto the car park of my office... and the feckin smell from that place is wretched. Honestly - it's woeful. Plus they use industrial size barrels of extremely cheap cooking oil. That combination's put me off ever eating there... the guy who owns the place is sound though - he always says hello & looks a bit like Chemical Ally!

I dunno - I thought the owner was a woman.

The owner definitely is a woman.

:confused:

Why would you talk face to face when you have the boards?

Owner/ manageress is very friendly, she didn't mind when the wee man dropped his food everywhere when he was a very wee man the first time we went there.

The weegie boards more like with ye. Never quite know who is coming to the table next! One minute you think your talking to Mrs T and then Mr Tulips voice comes outa nowhere! :confused::eek::D

The owner is great though isnt she!

Advertisement