Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

When Sysadmins Ruled the Earth by Cory Doctorow - another great short story by Doctorow, going to try one of his full novels soon. If you're into Sci-Fi check him out...

Executive Orders by Tom Clancy

The Conspiracy Club by Jonathan Kellerman

The Commitments by Roddy Doyle

Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M Auel - fantastic book, took me forever to read but thoroughly enjoyed it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I was reading the posts and thought that the books are very masculine and then noticed all the replies are from the same poster. In my 40s now and started to read more feminine books. The "Kite Runner" is one book that has left an imprint on me.

Flash Point by Paul Adam - easy read, not up to much...

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami - short and excellent book about the effect of long distance running on life... A must for anyone interested in running!

The Chamber by John Grisham

The Damned United by David Peace - story of Cloughie's days managing Leeds Utd as well as some of his management career before that... Seems like he was a very disturbed and unhappy man who found it hard to be happy with his lot...

• Advertisement

The Web by Jonathan Kellerman

The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

By the Light of the Moon by Dean Koontz

Hmm... Been a while, took me ages to get into this book, deffo not his best. Was ok in the end but nothing to write home about. Am studying at the moment now too so not as much time for general reading.

The Watchman by Chris Ryan

Easy reading, took a while to get going but was ok in the end...

The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet (A Novel) by Reif Larsen

Fantastic book! Anyone with an interest in science or history, particularly mixed into a fictional story should give this a go. Also ideal for someone who enjoys an unusual adventure in their books. One of the things that make this book particularly special are the side notes and illustrations which adorn almost every page.

Black Jack Point by Jeff Abbott

The Snapper by Roddy Doyle - hilarious!

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt - had this on the bookshelf for ages, finally picked it up after news of his death. Very enjoyable story of growing up in Limerick.

The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman

Jees, it's taking me a long time to get through books lately...

If You Liked School, You'll Love Work by Irvine Welsh

Fantastic collection of short stories from the hilarious and filthy Mr Welsh.

• Advertisement

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton

Been meaning to try one of his for a while. Every bit as long as I expected, but thoroughly enjoyed it. Not in a mad rush to read the next in the series, but definitely sometime in the next 6 months. Now for something a little easier...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

xebec wrote: »
    Have been reading through some of the logs here and I think keeping a log is a great idea :)

I often end up in the situation where I wondering whether or not I've read a book and a log would be a great way to keep track!

My reading tastes are a bit all over the place, I mix it up with everything from Tom Clancy to classics, and there are a few series of books I like reading too.

So, (what I remember of) this years books:

Super Crunchers by Ian Ayres - data mining has practical uses...

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

Nothing But Blue Skies by Tom Holt

Sharpe's Eagle by Bernard Cornwell

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne

Killer Instinct by Joseph Finder

Chi Running by Danny Dreyer - good ideas, not sure how many I'll put into practice though.

The Sum of All Fears by Tom Clancy - I'm running out of Tom Clancy books, one of his best.

Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

The Northern Lights by Philip Pullman - re-read after many years, great story.

Flashman and the Redskins by George McDonald Fraser - one of my favourite series of books is the Flashmans, absolutely hilarious stories about the biggest coward/hero in the British army c. 1850 who spends more time whoring around and getting into trouble than he does actually soldiering!

Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay - thriller about a CSI who leads a double life as a homicidal psychopath.

Christine Falls by Benjamin Black - A must for anyone who is a fan of Irish fiction or the crime thriller genre, John Banville writes these as Benjamin Black as they are a very different style to his other books and very readable.

The Silver Swan by Benjamin Black

Currently reading:

Guns, Germs & Steel by Jared Diamond - on human evolution and evolution of races

Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris - satire

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift - about to start

Future reading:

I've to try to ease back on the buying books for a while, there's a pile of about 25 sitting on the fireplace here in front of me waiting to be read!!

I envy you so much .I haven't been reading any books for a pleasure in ages:o

The only ones I read are the ones that I have to read :(

Now I'm only left with boards.ie and the internet(omg ...it is very addictive;)

How do you manage the time to read your books?

Thanks

I envy you so much .I haven't been reading any books for a pleasure in ages:o

The only ones I read are the ones that I have to read :(

Now I'm only left with boards.ie and the internet(omg ...it is very addictive;)

How do you manage the time to read your books?

Thanks

Luckily throughout Uni, I didn't have too much course reading so any reading I did was pleasure :)

TBH, I don't have time to read as much as I do... I'm supposed to be studying and training for a marathon, but the pleasure reading definitely comes before the study (it's personal stuff that there's no time pressure on). But equally, don't watch a huge amount of TV or spend as much time on the web in the evenings as I used to - that's what work time is for ;)

I definitely think it's important to take a little time - even if it's just 15 or 20 minutes a day - to read something you like, otherwise it's too easy to get out of what is a great habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Luckily throughout Uni, I didn't have too much course reading so any reading I did was pleasure :)

TBH, I don't have time to read as much as I do... I'm supposed to be studying and training for a marathon, but the pleasure reading definitely comes before the study (it's personal stuff that there's no time pressure on). But equally, don't watch a huge amount of TV or spend as much time on the web in the evenings as I used to - that's what work time is for ;)

I definitely think it's important to take a little time - even if it's just 15 or 20 minutes a day - to read something you like, otherwise it's too easy to get out of what is a great habit.

Well... you just described me with a great precision:o.This exactly what I do.
    I will try reading bit by bit:) we'll see how that will work
    Thanks
    Jarek

Rhino, What You Did Last Summer by Ross O'Carroll-Kelly

Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett

Another great Discworld book from the genius that is Pratchett, hopefully we'll hear more from him before his illness makes it impossible.

Lord of the Rams by Ronan Smith

And Another Thing... by Eoin Colfer

Sixth book in the Hitchhikers Guide trilogy, first by Colfer. Very funny and does justice to Douglas Adams' original. A few too many Irish references for my liking, but didn't detract from the book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

And Another Thing... by Eoin Colfer

Sixth book in the Hitchhikers Guide trilogy, first by Colfer. Very funny and does justice to Douglas Adams' original. A few too many Irish references for my liking, but didn't detract from the book.

Should I go back and have a read of the other 5 first xebec or can you just dive into this one?

Advertisement