Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Overtaking cyclists on a continuous white line

Options
  • 05-05-2008 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Well, what are you supposed to do when you are on a narrow country road where the lane is only wide enough for 1 car? Do you just grin and bear it and hold everyone else behind you up cause ur only doing maybe 10 mph or do you overtake them when it's safe to do so like you would normally when the line is broken?

And another question while we're at it:D, if the main road goes off to the right, and you can either continue along the main road, go straight on or turn left, must you indicate left when your going straight on or do you do nothing apart from the usual checking in the mirrors to see what's happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I believe this is a situation where you can overtake, as not doing so would cause unnecessary lack of progress, although caution should be taken when choosing your timing for overtaking.
    As for your second question, it seems like an unusual situation, and i might be picturing it wrong in my head, but if your leaving the main road you should indicate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I can think I picture the junction you're talking about. How close together are the exits for 'straight on' and 'left'? I would be inclined not to indicate, in case people behind/in front thought you were taking the left hand exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Well, what are you supposed to do when you are on a narrow country road where the lane is only wide enough for 1 car? Do you just grin and bear it and hold everyone else behind you up cause ur only doing maybe 10 mph or do you overtake them when it's safe to do so like you would normally when the line is broken?

Overtake but only if it is safe to do so and the issue with narrow country roads is that they twist and turn alot and it can be hard to see whats coming towards you. I've found [drive the very twisty Thurles to Kilkenny road alot] if you meet things like bikes or tractors on those types of roads they tend to be quick to pull in if they can to allow traffic to pass - if they don't it usually means theres no room and thus no room for cars to overtake.

And another question while we're at it:D, if the main road goes off to the right, and you can either continue along the main road, go straight on or turn left, must you indicate left when your going straight on or do you do nothing apart from the usual checking in the mirrors to see what's happening?

Theres a spot in Freshford were it looks like your coming to a crossroads but actually the turn to the right is the main road your on and straight on and left are roads off the main road. You don't indicate if your staying on the main road even thou you make an almost 90 degree turn, you don't indicate if going straight but you would slow down to make sure the road is clear on all sides and indicate left if going left. There are a handful of spots like that but they tend to be in smaller towns that don't have huge amounts of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

1. Overtake the cyclist if it is safe to do so. Continuous white lines are generally placed to apply to standard sized vehicles travelling at average speeds. It may be perfectly safe to overtake a narrow slow moving vehicle where those lines are in place. Delaying behind a cyclist during a test may result in a Progress fault.

2. There is a similar type junction near me in Dublin. I've thrown up a Google Earth image of it.

The Red road is the 'main road'. The Blue and Green are roads of less importance (even though the Red road is itself a minor road).

Junction.jpg

Taking the Green road exit (i.e. travelling upwards) is not normally a problem and I indicate left as normal.

However, if there is another vehicle at the junction coming from the Blue road I don't indicate as that driver may assume I'm turning into the Blue road (i.e. his road) and he may pull out.

Most people generally slow down and proceed with caution although 'strangers' occasionally go straight on without realising that they have just crossed a junction! :eek:

That type of scenario wouldn't be used in a driving test route as the examiners directions may cause confusion. Most driving test routes are in urban settings, and , if a similar junction existed, it may be controlled by a mini roundabout or lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭madaboutcars

thanks for the replies ppl and sorry I didnt get back here till now:o!

To go back to the second question about the roads, well what I'm thinking of is in Cork city centre as you go up Georges' Quay, the main road goes off to the right over Parliament Bridge onto the South Mall/Grand Parade etc, while straight on is off the main road and brings you onto Sullivans Quay, and left is some narrow place and I don't know what thats called:D!

The exits there for those who don't know the area are similar to what you'd find at a crossroads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement