Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrianise high street

Options
  • 05-05-2008 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Pedestrianise high Street - What do you think?

Personally I think that it should be or at least widen the foot paths and just have it as a 1-way system for cars... it should be more pedestrian friendly, with less fumes from all those cars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

well its almost pedestrianised now - despite what 3, 4? zebra crossing people still just walk out on the road at any point. At night when the shops are shut its fine for cars maybe have it closed to cars during set hours like Kieran st?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

It would make a hell of a lot of sense to do it. I was home this weekend for the first time in ages, and it was very difficult to move along the foot paths, I ended up just walking on part of the road to pass by people.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

yeah I think make it pedestrianised during certain hours and all weekend up till a certain hour, its insane otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

They did a trial on it before (prob about 10 years ago or so) and I'm pretty sure the traders on High Street objected to it. Might be worth another trail now?

Then they did a trial of a one-way system up High Street from the Parade...and I think on Rose Inn Street too, but the Gardai objected as people were speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I would definitely agree to a pedestrianised/part pedestrianised High St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I was discussing this with someone a while ago and they pointed out that there a lot of apartments up William Street, and other alleyways along High Street. If High Street was pedestrianised would these people be stopped from driving out of their homes at certain times?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

It should definitely be pedestrianised. Look at the difference in Galway since Shop St. was pedestrianised around 10 years ago. Cafes can have outdoor seating, street performers have more space and just creates such a better atmosphere. It would do wonders for the city but for some reason the traders seem to think it will be bad??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dodgerkk

I was told, in a recent discussion, that the high street traders like it when high street is bumper to bumper with traffic and that they believe it's good for business!! Some sort of screwed up version of window shopping from your car?

I think, if it is the high street traders stopping the part or full pedestrianisation, that they are very short sighted.... at the end of the day there could be such a better atmosphere and buzz on hight street (same as mentioned above about Galway) that will be great for all the shops.

In relation to the one way (Part-pedestrianisation) will cover those living in apartments and the council can always put in more crossing areas (speed bumps) to slow down taffic.....

it's not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I don't see how one way traffic would work though? People would still walk out in front of cars and those with intelligence would still have to wait for a gap in traffic or at pedestrian crossings to get across. I'd say it should be pedestrianised completely or not at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 rocks

Ideally it should be all pedestrianised, it'll never happen though. There'll always be someone that would be pissed off with it, and with this countries tendancy to try and please everyone all the time, it means that a one-way system is the only thing they will do (if they do anything at all)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

a one way system would be really messed up..
    its understandable why theres usually traffic jams there.. theres so much traffic around the parade that the volume creates traffic jams..
    i dont think it would be possibel to widen the footpaths..

what really annoys me is the lack of bins..
    the only bins in irishtown are outside the chippy.
    bleach road has none .. and it badly needs one of those bins for dog waste...
    very few around the old mart and barracks
    just about enough on high street
    few on rose inn street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

dodgerkk wrote: »
    I was told, in a recent discussion, that the high street traders like it when high street is bumper to bumper with traffic and that they believe it's good for business!! Some sort of screwed up version of window shopping from your car?

It's a warped logic that afflicts traders everywhere. I've relatives up the country who live in Moate, a notorious bottleneck on the Dublin-Galway road which regularly has tailbacks stretching for a couple of miles either side of the town. Still, the local traders are starting to murmur about what's going to happen to the place when the by-pass is finished. I was once talking to someone from Limerick who said that the people of Adare (I think - I could be wrong on the town) campaigned like crazy to avoid their town being bypassed when they were doing the bypass thing down there. It took them years to realise that having the town choked up with traffic was a horrible horrible mistake

Advertisement