Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Commercial ISP's as regards to LAN Gaming

• 06-05-2008 1:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

hey

was just wondering what is like the industry standard regarding isp's for LAN gaming in ireland.

you know like who do internet café's and the like use.

is there a special service offered by regular isp's like eircom or chorus or is there completely different providers geared towards online gaming for example.

i've checked out the broadband.gov.ie site and there's an isp called airspeed which has a connection speed of 36000 up and down.

that cant be right can it?

p.s. sorry bout the inarticulacy just back from the pub.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

^^ probably 3.6 megs up and down.
    If you're really serious about it and have loads of money what you want is a leased line - then you have no contention and full control over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

You're presumably talking about WAN gaming? (LAN gaming doesn't require an ISP).

Most internet cafes use bog-standard DSL connections. Leased lines are generally too expensive to be worth it (they can be 10 times the price of an ADSL connection). If a cafe is serious about gaming, they would probably have two or more DSL circuits, and load-balance across them, possibly routing gaming traffic over one line and more bandwidth-intensive (web, p2p, etc) over another.
    ayatollah wrote: »
    i've checked out the broadband.gov.ie site and there's an isp called airspeed which has a connection speed of 36000 up and down.

When you're talking about gaming, latency is a more significant factor than bandwidth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

so if i were to be looking at getting a high speed internet connection for gaming how much would i be looking to pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

ayatollah wrote: »
    so if i were to be looking at getting a high speed internet connection for gaming how much would i be looking to pay?
    FruitLover wrote:
    When you're talking about gaming, latency is a more significant factor than bandwidth.

Latency will be a function of contention ratios, the less contention, the less latency there should be. The distance to your server and the number of hops to get there will also be a function (adversely affected also by the traffic at each hop)

So find an ISP with a low contention ratio, how far you are from their main internet backbone will also be a factor. Speed is not the issue, internet games are designed to handle low bandwidth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I'm not sure about prices of broadband connections, but I know from experience of working in cyber café's, computers alone don't generate enough revenue to keep the place running. We used to make most of our money from our phone booths which offered low cost international phone calls.

• Advertisement
Advertisement