Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another MBNA question!

Options
  • 06-05-2008 3:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,

I've been reading about various credit cards in previous threads and I just have a question about MBNA.

I read that a lot of people said they didn't need to send in any info about themselves when applying for an MBNA CC and just received it no questions asked. However, when I applied for an MBNA, at the very end of the online application, it displays a message asking for copy of passport etc. to be faxed to them.

I just wonder if anyone knows, having read other posts about people not having to send in any info, is it necessary for me to fax in this info to them? I only ask because I'm in Dublin for a couple of months and not at home where my passport and proof of address are kept.

Also, I have read that MBNA give pretty high credit limits, is there a standard initial credit limit with them?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

MBNA imho are very relaxed about you they give credit cards to. There normally very easy to get and do give stupid limits to people who do not need them.

Faxing of your passport is normal enough and I'd say they'll still send you the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

From what I have heard if you are entering into a relationship with a financial institution that you have had no prior dealings with,they will ask for proof of ID and address. Pain in the neck if you move around a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I had to send passport and address details and they even checked my work details, they had to ring me because the number they had was wrong. They gave me €3000 limit, i hadn't asked for a certain amount. Hope this sheds some light on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I had zero prior dealings with MBNA before. I applied online and it didn't mention sending anything in.

I got a call the next day. I asked if I needed to send anything in and she said no and that she'd checked the voting register.

She said I'd have the card in a week.

I got the card in a week.

This all happened just before Xmas.

random wrote: »
    I had zero prior dealings with MBNA before. I applied online and it didn't mention sending anything in.

I got a call the next day. I asked if I needed to send anything in and she said no and that she'd checked the voting register.

She said I'd have the card in a week.

I got the card in a week.

This all happened just before Xmas.

Thats crazy, should be consistent

• Advertisement

I guess it's another one of those things that they just accept your identity and you're happy but if they assumed someone else was you when they said they were you'd be well pissed off.

yes exactly! But saying this reminds me of who people were complaining about Halifax wanting to much,,,,will they ever get it right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭musicfan

I applied for an MBNA Credit Card on line - when I was finished the application, it showed up on screen that I should send in bank statements and proof of address - I never did but got a card with a huge limit in a couple of weeks!

Ah, one day they'll get audited......

All that will come to light and they'll be in big trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Ah, one day they'll get audited......

All that will come to light and they'll be in big trouble.

That's what happens when you have a profit before people / sales culture. Some of their practices are deplorable. There was a guy on here who got a MBNA card buy filling out a form on a Ryanair flight. Like the last poster he got a card without too many questions asked and ended up in debt to the tune of 8k. I dealt with a person who was 10k in debt on a MBNA credit card. Mind you it wasn't the worst debt she had but anyhow. Of course, the credit card holders are as much to blame but the responcibility eventually lies with the lender to call a halt.

• Advertisement

Is their not an official requirement/ amount of proof of id/ address that they have to obtain?

stepbar wrote: »
    That's what happens when you have a profit before people / sales culture. Some of their practices are deplorable. There was a guy on here who got a MBNA card buy filling out a form on a Ryanair flight. Like the last poster he got a card without too many questions asked and ended up in debt to the tune of 8k. I dealt with a person who was 10k in debt on a MBNA credit card. Mind you it wasn't the worst debt she had but anyhow. Of course, the credit card holders are as much to blame but the responcibility eventually lies with the lender to call a halt.

Thats very true.

I had a customer whom we refused a card to. Only to sign his name once, show his passport to some person in the airport and now he has a Ryanair CC with a 8k limit... crazy stuff.

You have to be wary of a CC that gives you blank chq's with each statement :confused:

davton wrote: »
    Is their not an official requirement/ amount of proof of id/ address that they have to obtain?

Thats the thing, there is.

Proof of address and proof of identity.

Must be 2 separate pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Mbna sent me out a card last year ,without even a phonecall made. I applied online ,

All I had to do was ring them to activate it.

By law you must provide the bank or building society with:

� Proof of your identity and

� Evidence of your address

You can prove your identity by producing:

� a valid passport

� a current Irish driving licence

� a National Age Card (issued by An Garda Siochana)

� an identification form with a photograph signed by a member of An Garda Siochana

� documents issued by Government departments showing your name.

Government documents must be verified by a statement from a person in a position of responsibility such as a solicitor, accountant,
    doctor,community employment scheme supervisor or social worker. That person must come to the bank themselves with proof of their own
    identity.
    You will need one of the following to prove where you live:

� a current utility bill (such as a gas, electricity or telephone or mobile phone bill)

� a current motor or home insurance policy that shows your address

� a document issued by a Government department that shows your address

� a list of your tax credits

� a current balancing statement or a C2 certificate from the Revenue Commissioners

� a social insurance document that shows your address

� a letter from your employer or licensed employment agency stating that you have recently arrived in Ireland and have started work but cannot yet provide evidence of your Irish address (you will have to provide evidence of your address at a later date).

Regarding previous bank statements, while there is no legal requirement for a bank to request this, it is the individual bank's decision on what exact documentation they require for each of their products.

I find it hard to believe MBNA are breaking the law on such a massive scale then? Unless they have backend access to other banks records that we're not told about?

Or else nobody cares?

Its a mystery tbh.

Maybe someone is going to blow the lid on them soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

They must have a fairly **** crowd of internal auditors TBH. I wonder is nobody concerned in MBNA that individuals could go to jail if it was found that said company credit card was used in some way to launder money.

Advertisement