Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New shape VW Beetle

Options
  • 06-05-2008 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

Looking for a few opinions here...

The g/f is looking to get a beetle. Probably a '02 Tdi.
    What's the general consensus on them? I know they are basically a golf underneath.
    Are they worth buying, any inherent problems?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Hi,

I think the general opinion of these is pretty low, but if the g/f likes it then....

I guess my suggestion would be to test drive one and then an equilivant Golf and see how she feels.

A relative of mine had one for a while and grew to hate it - the boot is tiny and it's based on the mark IV golf, so it's dynamics are also pretty poor. She got it against the advice of her husband (who's a VW dealer!), but thought it was cute - after two years the day-to-day experience made her sick of it and she got a Golf.

Hope this helps,

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Thanks for the info Paddy.
    I don't particularly like them myself, but the g/f really likes the look of them.

She doesn't like the look of the Golf, so thats not an option.
    I have read that they are cramped on the back, but didn't realise the boot is tiny.

How are they for reliability?

Again - from my relative, it was as relabile as a Golf - that's not 100% people seem to assume - but I'd class them as a relabile car....

Re Boot space - I believe it's the shaping of the back of the car that kills it.

If she likes the look, what about a MINI or Fiat 500?

Paddy

The Mini is way too small. Practally no rear seat or boot space. She had a look at one and didn't like it at all. The Fiat wouldn't interest her either.

From looking at the beetle, the rear seats seem ok for space, it's the headroom that suffers. Although the boot is fairly big once the seats are folded down.

The Mini is way too small. Practally no rear seat or boot space. She had a look at one and didn't like it at all. The Fiat wouldn't interest her either.

You'd be surprised - my wife has a MINI, to me it's a more practal car than the VW - it isn't that much smaller and with the hatchback the boot space is a lot more usable.

But each to their own,

Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To be honest if your looking for practical boot space then these type of cars are generally non runners.

PaddyFagan wrote: »
    You'd be surprised - my wife has a MINI, to me it's a more practal car than the VW - it isn't that much smaller and with the hatchback the boot space is a lot more usable.

OK - you sparked my interest - just from a quick surf:

Measurement MINI BEETLE
    Wheelbase(mm) 2456 2508
    Length(mm) 3635 4081
    Width(mm) 1689 1732
    Boot(l) 160 209
    Boot - seats down(l) 680 761

I'm 100% convinced the difference isn't that large - why not suggest it and get her to test drive one?

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Get her to hire one out for the day.
    I got one as a rental and hated it, even though I really like the old beetles.

Oh, and the little flower holder on the dash aaarrggh

She did have a look at the Mini and came away unimpressed.
    I don't want to get too hung up on boot space though, she won't be carrying much more that shopping etc around.

It's the reliability and resale that would be more of a concern to me.

I priced up some, both north and south of the border.
    Typical example was a '02 tdi with 50k on it. Around €15k down here and €11k from the north all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

I have a mini and a friend of mine has a beetle. Everyone says when they get in my car that its deceptively large, equally as big and comfortable as her beetle.

I had a big burly male friend of mine in the back the other day and ok we arn't talking comfort levels of a 7 series BMW but he said he had plenty enough room to fit when the seat was brought forward a couple of inches.
    The mini has oceans of space in the front too, so that didn't compromise the front seat passenger. He said he wouldn't object to travelling a distance in it!

I dont like the beetle myself, like you said Mark 5 golf in different clothing. The mini LOOKS small, but its designed to look that way so as to keep the feeling and look of the old minis, its designed to be decepitve. The newer models are even bigger than my version so id imagine it would be more than adequate for her if your budget can stretch to a 07. Lets face it, neither car would be bought with practicality at the foremost in your mind!!

Probably would be an idea to get hold of one of each for the day, some secondhand car dealers will let you take a car out for a day or two to test it on appro.

If shes concerned about size, the fiat 500 would not be a runner id imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Bendihorse wrote: »
    I dont like the beetle myself, like you said Mark 5 golf in different clothing.

It mightn't be so bad if it was a Mk5 Golf in different clothing, but it's a Mk 4 Golf in different clothing!
    The Mini should hold its value better than the Beetle, as well as being far better to drive. Still, if it's a Beetle she wants then it's a Beetle she must have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I think these cars are dated and ugly and more suited as a promotional vehicle for Red Bull. They look more like a 1990's Mazda 121 than the original VW Beetle. Would you not treat your misses to a new shaped Mini instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

peasant wrote: »
    Thats not like Herbie. Herbie was a 6 volt with sloping headlamps a rag top :mad:

herbie_VW_beetle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Thats not like Herbie. Herbie was a 6 volt with sloping headlamps a rag top :mad:

I know that and you know that ...will the OP's wife know it too? Or even care, for that matter ? :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

My wife wanted one (Beetle) about a year ago. I test drove it and thought it was a horrendous thing. Very expensive too. Her second choice was a Mini but eventually managed to get her to go for a Honda Civic instead of either.

She loves her Civic. Lucky escape though.

Thanks for all the replies folks, I think the general consensus is that they are overpriced and undersized :p.
    Now I just need to convince SWMBO that she doesn't really want one.

Advertisement