Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winning the title on Goal Difference.

• 06-05-2008 8:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

So, should Goal Difference be the deciding factor in who wins the league title.

Would the UEFA method of using the results between the clubs be a more accurate reflection of who the better team is, after all, beating a bottom 6 team 4,5 or 6 nil is more down to luck, like Team B might beat Team Z 4-0, but Team A might beat them 5-0. Should this be actually used to determine who the better team is?

Wouldn't the results between the two teams tied on points be a far superior way of determining which of them deserves to win the league?

What about a play off?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm gonna shit stir here and say 'Playoff FTW'.

Both teams did just as well as each other to finish on that amount of points so therefore should partake in a winner takes all game the Sunday before the Champions League Final.

Come on United fans, I'm ready for ya! :D

EDIT: Actually on second thoughts, I think the title should simply be awarded to the team that did the best against City :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Goal difference is fine, everyone knows at the start of the season where they stand.

Nearly sure an EL team won the league on goal difference recently.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Nearly sure an EL team won the league on goal difference recently.
    Won that by three points iirc.

Proof:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Its a strange one alright. Goal difference.
    When we look at it, people are saying that certain best players in the world only score against poorer teams, so does that mean that the 4 nil and 5 nil wins against these teams are worth less?
    Or can the same argument be made to say that a team who plays a second strength side, or rests a few players against the weaker sides and only wins 2-1 or something are taking the league less seriously, so therefore do they deserve to be whining about goal difference deciding it?

Feck it, it is harsh, and it would sicken me to have my team lose league on goal difference, but the rules are there from the start of the season and have been that way for a while, so i guess its probably fair enough.

When was the last time a title was decided on goal difference? (Not just premiership)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Don't all modern competitions now use head-to-head results? Goal difference is a bit too easy, by which I mean, the West Ham that MU played bore no resemblance to the WH played by Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

wouldn't utd win it still considering it was 2-0 at OT and 2-1 at SB?

gucci wrote: »
    When was the last time a title was decided on goal difference? (Not just premiership)
    http://www.soccerbot.com/fai/tables/irprem2006.htm

I think the SPL was decided on GD a few years back too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Don't all modern competitions now use head-to-head results? Goal difference is a bit too easy, by which I mean, the West Ham that MU played bore no resemblance to the WH played by Chelsea.

BY the same token, the Man City that beat Utd 2-1 at OT bore no resemblance to the Man City that rolled over 6-0 at Stamford Bridge.

Swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I prefer head to head personally like in Spain rather than goal difference (which United would still win on)

To be honest, I like the fact that this year the reason United could win the league is because after going 1-0 they don't sit back and defend, they try to score more. I think that should be encouraged and I'm ok with United winning the legue that way :)

I'd be extremely against any sort of extra game. A league is a league, it's about 38 games.

BY the same token, the Man City that beat Utd 2-1 at OT bore no resemblance to the Man City that rolled over 6-0 at Stamford Bridge.

Swings and roundabouts.

Really, the lineups were as different for MC as they were for WH?

Edit: I've just checked, the Man City sides in those games were very similar. So, I don't know what you mean by "bore no resemblance"

• Advertisement

Obviously they should have a penalty shoot-out the night before the champions league final when they are doing their training session in the ground....that would be the fairest way to decide it....

PHB wrote: »
    I'd be extremely against any sort of extra game. A league is a league, it's about 38 games.

Correct and right!

gucci wrote: »
    Obviously they should have a penalty shoot-out the night before the champions league final when they are doing their training session in the ground....that would be the fairest way to decide it....

Might have saved a lot of people a lot of pain in the 2003 CL final. Good call :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Edit: I've just checked, the Man City sides in those games were very similar. So, I don't know what you mean by "bore no resemblance"

West Ham were missing a number of players through injury and suspension - Julien Faubert, Craig Bellamy, Lee Bowyer, James Collins, Calum Davenport, Kieron Dyer, Matthew Etherington, Danny Gabbison and Nigel Quashie...
    You now saying that you should have to take injuries to opposition into account when determining how significant the win is over such a team? You're getting a bit ridiculous tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

said it before ,
    Only way to decide these things both teams from a human ring around centre circle , one player picked from each team , Bare knuckle , No rules , Last man standing gets the title (for UTD I'll pick VIDIC)

Might have saved a lot of people a lot of pain in the 2003 CL final. Good call :D
    ?? Which one was that the Juve-Milan game? were they the top 2 in italy that season too? Sorry i have lost you a bit there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'm referring to approach to the game.

Most sides will lift their game when playing certain other sides, so City were more motivated playing United than they were playing Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Will the Mancs be crying into their pints if Chelsea beat em in the ECL final and everyone forgets about their victory on points premeirship win?

Will Chelsea have stolen their thunder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I think goal difference is an accurate reflection of which team has been better throughout the course of the season, it's as fair a way as any to decide a tied league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

It's all a bit acdemic this year though

Best Goal Difference United
    Most Goals Scored United
    Least Goals Conceded United
    Better Head to Head United
    Best record against top 3 United

• Advertisement

Will the Mancs be crying into their pints if Chelsea beat em in the ECL final and everyone forgets about their victory on points premeirship win?

:D

Fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

long as Bruce and his boys dont roll over we could all be celebrating a Chelsea double on the 21st! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

DesF wrote: »

I think the SPL was decided on GD a few years back too.

yes, Yes it was :D

Chris Sutton is still around somewhere moaning about it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maybe count up the dives?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

Well at least it's better than goal average I think Huddersfield won the league one year by goal average but would have lost on goal difference I will check it later. I think Utd would be worthy winners as their goal difference is vastly difference, people could argue if Chelsea were within 1 or 2 goals of United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mr Alan wrote: »
    long as Bruce and his boys dont roll over we could all be celebrating a Chelsea double on the 21st! ;)

kinda pathetic to celebrate triumphs of oppositions teams in competitions your team was actualy in.

Tauren wrote: »
    kinda pathetic to celebrate triumphs of oppositions teams in competitions your team was actualy in.

Not at all. I've been doing it for years. It's great fun when United lose.

Not really.

I doubt you'd be loving the idea of a Liverpool win in the CL final if it were against Chelsea!

Next year Liverpool and Getafe are gonna run amuck. FACT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Still another game to go people, mightn't need goal difference to decide it. And besides, I don't think GD is a particularly bad way to decide the winners. If it's good enough to get you relegated it's good to get you the title.

I think the only reason that head to head results are used in European & World Cup qualifiers is because teams quite often finish on the same points due to the relative small amount of games each country plays. Whereas in something like the PL, playing 38 games in a season teams are less likely to finish on the same points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I'm a Chelsea fan so I'm incredibly biased here but I don't see any reason why the Premier League wouldn't employ a two legged playoff system like Serie A. I realise thta we knew what the story was at the beginning of the season but even if it's just for next season i should be employed.

For me, it comes down to this. Who wouldn't want to see the two best teams in the league take each other on twice (with the team with the best goal difference getting the second leg at home)at the end of the season in what would be the two biggest games for the EPL in terms of economics and in terms of the final prize. You could argue that the payoff for the goal difference route means more goals in matches and therefore more entertainment in the long run but I don't think it's comparable to the excitement of a playoff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Goal difference is fine.

learn your mind games from Rafa
    Question a certain Chelsea striker before a game....how did that work out for ye............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I'm a Chelsea fan so I'm incredibly biased here but I don't see any reason why the Premier League wouldn't employ a two legged playoff system like Serie A. I realise thta we knew what the story was at the beginning of the season but even if it's just for next season i should be employed.

For me, it comes down to this. Who wouldn't want to see the two best teams in the league take each other on twice (with the team with the best goal difference getting the second leg at home)at the end of the season in what would be the two biggest games for the EPL in terms of economics and in terms of the final prize. You could argue that the payoff for the goal difference route means more goals in matches and therefore more entertainment in the long run but I don't think it's comparable to the excitement of a playoff

You're confusing a cup and a league.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yep - PATHETIC
    Not really.

I doubt you'd be loving the idea of a Liverpool win in the CL final if it were against Chelsea!

Next year Liverpool and Getafe are gonna run amuck. FACT.

Difference between being glad liverpool don't win and celebrating the victory of another side. If it was a chelsea vs liverpool CL final i would be hoping for Chelsea to win, but certainly would not celebrate the win if they got it - I don't want success for any side other than united (although i do have a soft spot for Barcelona) Why on earth would i celebrate the victories of a rival team?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

IMO United will win the double.

/back on topic

It is fair to win the league on GD as is to be relgated on GD. Leicester City were relagted on Sunday on GD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

astrofool wrote: »
    You're confusing a cup and a league.

No I'm not, it's the system employed by Italy.An example occured a few years back when there was a relegation playoff

Yep - PATHETIC

So hoping your most hated enemies don't win something is pathetic? Isn't that what every supporter hopes? Would you want Liverpool to win the league next season when the fans come on here and rub it your face? Course you wouldn't.

So hoping your most hated enemies don't win something is pathetic? Isn't that what every supporter hopes? Would you want Liverpool to win the league next season when the fans come on here and rub it your face? Course you wouldn't.

As I have said - there is a difference between being glad a rival doesn't win and actually CELEBRATING the victory of another side. I can't see why anyone would celebrate the victory of a team they do not support.

I'm not supporting Chelsea, I'm supporting the team that plays United. There's a difference.

• Advertisement

As I have said - there is a difference between being glad a rival doesn't win and actually CELEBRATING the victory of another side. I can't see why anyone would celebrate the victory of a team they do not support.
    Because these people are fans of teams that have little or nothing of note to celebrate anyway.

I'm not supporting Chelsea, I'm supporting the team that plays United. There's a difference.
    Yeah, you are not supporting chelsea, you are not a chelsea supporter so celebrating their success is pathetic imo. Unless you support the side, or actually do have a soft spot for them (ie. I could understand you celebrating a Barcelona CL victory, obviously) then celebrating their victory, in a competition you are supposed to be cometing in, is pathetic.

DesF wrote: »
    Because these people are fans of teams that have little or nothing of note to celebrate anyway.
    QFT :D

Difference between being glad liverpool don't win and celebrating the victory of another side. If it was a chelsea vs liverpool CL final i would be hoping for Chelsea to win, but certainly would not celebrate the win if they got it - I don't want success for any side other than united (although i do have a soft spot for Barcelona) Why on earth would i celebrate the victories of a rival team?

Hold up there, my comment was tongue in cheek, i want Chelsea to win the double, but i aint gonna be wearing a Jersey or anything of the sort! :mad:, have even booked a holiday for that week to be away for the game and all the hype attached to it!

If Utd win the double it brings em to 16/17 leagues and 3 CL, in comparrison to our 18+5, thats a little close for comfort!

Yeah, you are not supporting chelsea, you are not a chelsea supporter so celebrating their success is pathetic imo. Unless you support the side, or actually do have a soft spot for them (ie. I could understand you celebrating a Barcelona CL victory, obviously) then celebrating their victory, in a competition you are supposed to be cometing in, is pathetic.

I'm not supporting Chelsea! I won't be wearing their jersey and I'm not interested in their victory, all that interests me is a United defeat. I really don't see what the issue with that is.

Hold up there, my comment was tongue in cheek, i want Chelsea to win the double, but i aint gonna be wearing a Jersey or anything of the sort! :mad:, have even booked a holiday for that week to be away for the game and all the hype attached to it!

If Utd win the double it brings em to 16/17 leagues and 3 CL, in comparrison to our 18+5, thats a little close for comfort!

I can obviously understand you not wanting United to win the league, as I didn't want liverpool to make the CL final cause I could handle losing to Chelsea a lot bette, same type of thing. My argument that EVERYONE actually CELEBRATING a chelsea victory would be pathetic. If it was a chelsea vs 'pool final i would be gunning for Chelsea, and I would be happy if chelsea won, but that happiness would certianly not turn into celebration of any kind, after all - it would mean Chelsea won the CL.... :weneedavomitsmilie:

I'm not supporting Chelsea! I won't be wearing their jersey and I'm not interested in their victory, all that interests me is a United defeat. I really don't see what the issue with that is.
    Mr Alan said he would CELEBRATE a chelsea double. I said that would be pathetic (celebrating the victory of a side you do not support in a competition your side plays in). You BOTH disagreed - you said you have been CELEBRATING the VICTORIES of other teams for years. That is what this little discussion is about. If you had both chosen your words more carefully to actually reflect what you both seem to be arguing now (that you celebrate/be happy with, the defeat of a rival - WHICH IS DIFFERENT TO CELEBRATING SUCCESS OF A RIVAL) then there would not be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I'd much rather win it on goal difference than lose it on goal difference ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Goal difference reqards teams who play attacking football even when they go ahead, e.g. Chelsea under Jose would very often go 1 nil up and then just sit back and keep the ball in fact thats kinda how Chelsea got done over by Wigan for the late draw. Whereas Utd always look to kill the game off and continue to push for more goals. Goal difference is the best way to settle a tie imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Bubs101 wrote: »
    No I'm not, it's the system employed by Italy.An example occured a few years back when there was a relegation playoff

Still isn't fair. United aren't exactly on top form at the minute while Chelsea are. As well as that, certain players could be injured etc.

It's a league and it's a certain amount of games played over a season. Simple as. United have a miles better goal difference so obviously they have been taking teams apart on a much regular occurance than Chelsea have been.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement