Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The heat is on...

Options
  • 06-05-2008 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

I am in a 3 bed in Charlesland, recently when I have the thermometer set to 0 (so I have hot water but no heat in the rads) all of the radiators upstairs come on in the morning. Obviously coming into the summer this will be uncomfortable. Has anybody any idea what I should do to fix this?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

That's an odd one alright. Perhaps you may have two thermostats? Is there any upstairs?

Actually, it doesn't make any sense...the pipes from the gas boiler usually go straight to the Hot Press with a tee-off into the hot water cylinder and a motor valve to stop the rest of the hot water going around the radiators. AFAIK all the Charlesland houses only have one thermostat thus turning off the motor valve, turning off the whole house.

Here's one...check the power is on for the motor valve.

If you have no luck, the temporary solution is to turn off all the rads in each room.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

I think there are different systems for different parts of Charlesland but with ours in the Park, you just need to turn the wall thermostat on the landing to the snowflake and then it'll heat the water but not the rads. There's lots of bubbling noise when it's heating the water at the moment (not so good when it comes on during the night!) but I'm hoping that'll die down after a few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Loopers

Wineman,

I think you might need to get the advice of a plumber. When we moved into our 3 bed duplex (which was the summer) we had boiling water all the time. It turned out that a workman had left something in the gas boiler and it failed to switch off. We got that problem sorted but even now we have to turn off our rads during the summer and turn the thermostat to 0 in order to heat the water from the gas boiler. In the winter time we always use the immersion because there is never enough hot water with the heating on. Not sure if it is the same in the houses. Hope you get it sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

astrofluff wrote: »
    That's an odd one alright. Perhaps you may have two thermostats? Is there any upstairs?

Actually, it doesn't make any sense...the pipes from the gas boiler usually go straight to the Hot Press with a tee-off into the hot water cylinder and a motor valve to stop the rest of the hot water going around the radiators. AFAIK all the Charlesland houses only have one thermostat thus turning off the motor valve, turning off the whole house.

Here's one...check the power is on for the motor valve.

If you have no luck, the temporary solution is to turn off all the rads in each room.

My mistake, the rads were on downstairs too. I checked the hot press again and there is a white box on a pipe (Myson Power extra) which is probably the power valve you mentioned. Well it turns out one of the kids decided to move the switch from automatic to manual so I put it back to automatic last night and hey presto..no hot rads in the morning - thanks for the tip neighbour.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

Loopers wrote: »

In the winter time we always use the immersion because there is never enough hot water with the heating on. Not sure if it is the same in the houses. Hope you get it sorted!

While we are on the subject its the same in my house, if the wife has a shower and I get in 5 - 10 minutes later it is hot water for a minute or two and then back to cold. Yet when I go to the sink to have a shave the water is piping. I would call a plumber but they are so damned expensive and its probably something with a simple solution anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

good auld motor valves...

slightly changing topic here, I'm starting to think gas is very expensive and maybe using the immersion is a better bet. Does anyone actually use the immersion over the gas boiler for heating water? If they do, is it racking up the ESB bill?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement