Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help

Options
  • 06-05-2008 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

Lads and lassies,

Went to a quack over the weekend and I have "unbalanced hips" that can be rebalanced with a bit of work! its effecting my cycling so I'm wondering if anyone has come across this and have and recommendations in sorting it out! it feels like one leg is longer than the other so pedaling feels odd...

Also, any good doctors who specialize in this ailment around Dublin?

Yours in back and hip pain

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

You could try Paul Tansey in Dundrum,he is a chiropractor and has a practice above Joe Dalys bike shop,i know he's treated a lot of cycling related stuff over the years,the big plus is that he is a very good cyclist and has that knowledge as well,he's in the phone book,highly rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

while you are getting sorted out ,change the crank sizes, 170mm on the short side and 175 on the longer side, should help even it up for ya.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

kona wrote: »
    while you are getting sorted out ,change the crank sizes, 170mm on the short side and 175 on the longer side, should help even it up for ya.:)

you know I never thought of that .... interesting......... nice tip!

went to physio today and I have a seriuos glut imbalance that needs allot of work to get sorte, leggs are both same lengh +/- mm or 2! guess I need to get my ass in motion on my left side the right is gettitng all the action!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭-Blanco-

Sorry to hear that Drapper, I had the same condition about a year and a half ago. Physio strengthening exercises used to take ages!:p (worth it though!)
    Anyway good luck with the recovery!

• Advertisement

-Blanco- wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Drapper, I had the same condition about a year and a half ago. Physio strengthening exercises used to take ages!:p (worth it though!)
    Anyway good luck with the recovery!

the jokes are flying now! my wife said she knew I was a real tight ass! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

start running more, this will even it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What physio did you go to?

BostonB wrote: »
    What physio did you go to?

Dundrum town centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

Drapper, ya tosser! i had the same problem a few years ago when i started back on the bike. Paul Tansey fixed me - took about 4 visits initially + the odd checkup + routine stretching - you have to do the stretches he tells you. He knocked lumps out of me but it worked. Initially felt wierd and crooked on the bike after the sessions, but it balanced me out and took pressure off one knee

The chiropractor in castleknock is very good aswell - his name is John Fay - the back could be part of the problem. He's in behind the oul' Mogensens shop. Short sessions (max 15 minutes, sometimes less than 10). He has snapped me back into shape before aswell and fixed a weight imbalance problem (I think I was standing with an extra 4kg on the left foot).

Personally I would be slow enough to jump at using different crank lengths. I've only known of one rider who did that before, and this guy had to walk with special shoes that had a big heel one side. Luc Leblanc was one pro who used to ride with an extra insert on one of his cleats because his leg was severely damaged in a car crash.... that's a severe case of course but you get the drift... it is highly unlikely you have this problem. I've seen ya pedal and it certainly doesn't look like it. It's most likely tightness on one side/lower back/hips that's throwing you out of whack... that can happen when you take a few weeks off the bike and don't stay supple.

• Advertisement
Advertisement