Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capital Gains query

• 06-05-2008 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, I was hoping someone maybe in the know. I moved away from Ireland over a year ago, I now wish to sell some assets in Ireland. Am I liable for CGT in Ireland ?

tia.

K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

For Irish situated assets such as land or buildings (or heaps of other specific but unusual things like mining rights) or the assets of a trade carried on in Ireland then you are liable to CGT regardless of your residency status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 NaasMan

If you only left Ireland last year, you may also be classed as ordinary resident (once you are resident for three years, you become ordinary resident). This status is not lost until you are non resident for three tax years. If you are Irish ordinary resident and Irish domicile you are taxation in Ireland on worldwide gains, unless you can claim relief under a double taxation agreement.

Advertisement