Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Ostrich!

• 06-05-2008 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

I noticed my local butchers had ostrich meat for sale at the weekend. If there's still some there this evening I'm going to give a shot at cooking it. I've seen from googling that it should be served rare and you can just use at as a replacement for beef etc in stir frys.

Has anybody ever cooked it before or have any good reccomended recipes, or even tasted it? Don't want to go to hassle of cooking it and then finding out it tastes like muck!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Its very good and to me tastes like a very light fillet steak (smoother if you know what I mean). Its very high in protein and low in fat and therefore healthier than beef.

I have cooked it in the past as I would do a beef steak and have made up some sauce with cream, etc.

Check out www.bbcgoodfood.com as I am sure there are some recipes there.

Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ostrich burgers ftw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭hcnyla

Where is your local butcher? I live in Co Kildare and I'm sick of going into Terenure for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Well if your sick of going to Terenure you won't fancy coming all the way to Limerick! Garreths Butchers in Dooradoyle. Far and away the nicest butchers I've ever bought from. Only been using them a few weeks but seem to get a regular enough range of "different" meats in, Ostrich, Kangaroo, Venison etc

I got held up in work yesterday evening so it was closed before i got out there. Hopefully they'll still have some this evening.

kenco wrote: »
    Its very good and to me tastes like a very light fillet steak (smoother if you know what I mean).
    Enjoy

Cooked it last night. Very good description of the taste.
    Will defaintely be getting it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I've never had ostrich - is it gamey, or beefy?

Just wondering because I buy kangaroo, which is very gamey, for our cats and after handling a lot of it raw for them, I'm not sure I'd ever go 'Yum, kanga, let's have that' if I saw it on a menu.

I would try it if our butcher had it. Anyone been to Scotland and tried haggis? Curious....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I would try it if our butcher had it. Anyone been to Scotland and tried haggis? Curious....

Yes. It's actually quite tasty, but my brain wouldn't let me get past the details of what it is. I just couldn't enjoy it, no matter how good it tasted. It's definitely worth trying though.

On a vaguely related now, one of my main pet peeves is being told to try "vegetarian haggis. It's great!". What a complete oxymoron. It's like telling someone to try vegetarian beef.

It's more beefy, with a slightly stronger flavour. As described above the texture of it is a lot "smoother" than beef. I've had kangaroo once and while there was nothing wrong with it, it isn't something I'd be in a rush back for again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Haggis is not unlike a loose spicy black budding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,002 ✭✭✭DenMan

Just wondering because I buy kangaroo, which is very gamey, for our cats and after handling a lot of it raw for them, I'm not sure I'd ever go 'Yum, kanga, let's have that' if I saw it on a menu.

No!!! Please don't tell you fed Kangaroo meat to the cats. This is not the Serengeti. Poor Kangaroo. Poor guys. Shame on you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,461 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DenMan wrote: »
    No!!! Please don't tell you fed Kangaroo meat to the cats. This is not the Serengeti. Poor Kangaroo. Poor guys. Shame on you!!
    There are as many wild Kangaroos in the Serengeti as in the wicklow mountain,
    sure most cat-foods come in a rabbit flavour, the Roo is just a big version

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

FYI, I've deleted a few posts here as I felt they were inappropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Mellor wrote: »
    There are as many wild Kangaroos in the Serengeti as in the wicklow mountain,
    sure most cat-foods come in a rabbit flavour, the Roo is just a big version

Aren't there wallabies in the wicklow mountains - or am I getting my urban (rural) myths mixed up?

What's wrong with feeding roo meat to cats - I would imagine there is an abundance of it in rural Victoria.

Back to topic - I had ostrich years ago but don't remember it much - I imagine it to be quite grainy, a bit like the texture of a turkey breast - is this true?

Minder wrote: »
    I had ostrich years ago but don't remember it much - I imagine it to be quite grainy, a bit like the texture of a turkey breast - is this true?

Not at all, I found it to be very light and as I said above, quite smooth. It is very difficult to describe it but it definitely not grainy.

Advertisement