Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital SLR: Which to buy and where to buy it???

• 06-05-2008 10:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

Hey lads, im looking for a digital SLR as a birthday present to myself :D ... just wondering if anyone had an advice on which to buy and where to get the best bargain? Of course i have done my own research into this and have some ideas as to what i want to get, but just seeing if anyone has any personal opinions and advice on whats hott and whats not.

I rekon im looking for 10MP with some stabiliser built into the camera, rather than the lens, easy to use fuinctions with some reign over shutter speed and ISO etc. All for around €600 with a kit.

Any suggestions most appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

If you go up North you can get a Canon 400D with a 55mm lens and a 300mm lens for around 700 euro. You can get the same in America for about 600 euro. Or down here for about 800 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

And in Hong Kong for about 400 euro...I'll never forgive myself for not buying that! Now I'm looking for pretty much the same as yourself OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

I bought mine from here before christmas..i recommend them
    http://www.tekmo.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=204

the 400d is a lovely camera too

make a post on the photography forum...the lads and lass's are great help there

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

kgiller wrote: »
    Hey lads, im looking for a digital SLR as a birthday present to myself :D ... just wondering if anyone had an advice on which to buy and where to get the best bargain? Of course i have done my own research into this and have some ideas as to what i want to get, but just seeing if anyone has any personal opinions and advice on whats hott and whats not.

I rekon im looking for 10MP with some stabiliser built into the camera, rather than the lens, easy to use fuinctions with some reign over shutter speed and ISO etc. All for around €600 with a kit.

Any suggestions most appreciated

nikon and canon dont do in camera stabilisation, look at sony and i THINk olympus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

nikon and canon dont do in camera stabilisation, look at sony and i THINk olympus

Ya, ur right. I just looked it up there. But apparently, as i read here http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eosdigital4/01.html#02
    "in-lens stabilization is the preferred choice of both amateur and professional photographers as opposed to in-camera stabilization".

I like the look of the canon 400D alright, or the newer 450D. Just say a great deal in adverts.ie but its sold already...

Anyone have a Canon 400D? What do ye think about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richiek

hey,
    i just bought a conon 400d (digital rebel xti) with the 18-55m lens from adorama.com with a lowepro case and a 4gig card for 630 delivered including taxes.

Its a great camera, I'm only just getting into photography myself but a lot of photographer friends recommmend it. very easy to use and a good start in the slr range.

I'm of the opinion that you can't go wrong with either canon or nikon. but adorama were grand, cheap and fast delivery. just be aware that they use ups, which means ups pay the taxes to bring it in and charge you at the door when they deliver the item. I think i paid 21% and ups charged me 10.50 in administration fee's

adorama.com sell refurbished items, just to be aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭positron

Check the photography forum, many would recommend a number of eBay sellers (kea photo, urgalaxy, ditigal-rev etc to name a few).

Also I would recommend going for a 450D, than a 400D at this stage.

Thanks for the input lads, much appreciated. I thought myself a canon 400D or nikon D40/60 would be the best to go for. I suppose its just a case of finding the best value camera at this stage. I would hope to find the camera with lens kit for under €600 anyway, and then of course the memory card, bag etc i could get off ebay or the likes...

If anyone knows of anywhere to get a good deal on these cameras let me know.

Cheers

Dixons tend to do good deals in the UK. Find it on their website and drive up to Belfast. Have a nice Saturday out, you will save enough money on the price down here to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I've kept my eye on a few on ebay for a while now and you can get one with a 4gb card, case, lense and an extra battery for around the £350 mark delivered which would be €450 or so with the current exchange rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Just remember that all those deals mentioned on this thread don't have image stabilisation. The kit lens doesn't have it.

delly wrote: »
    I've kept my eye on a few on ebay for a while now and you can get one with a 4gb card, case, lense and an extra battery for around the £350 mark delivered which would be €450 or so with the current exchange rate.

Alot, if not most, of the ones on eBay are refurbished items. Might notworry alot of people, but I would rather buy one properly new.

johnfás wrote: »
    Alot, if not most, of the ones on eBay are refurbished items. Might notworry alot of people, but I would rather buy one properly new.

Ya me too. I hate having trouble with purchases, having to send them back and wait for a new one etc... does my nut. I think a new one will be best. Keep me informed of any good prices on these cameras.

Cheers

Bump ... cough cough :)

Suggestions, opinions ...

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richiek

johnfás wrote: »
    adorama.com sell refurbished items, just to be aware.

Johnfás is right they do sell refurb cameras on adorama, but they also sell brand new ones.

@ kgiller you were saying you wanted to get the whole lot for less than 600? that should be easy enough mine came with a 4 gig card and a good case for 630 from adorama.

i still reccomend adorama, but like the others said, the photography forum is good too, plenty of friendly people there to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I've just bought one of these. Great value for camera body, lens (with image stabilisation), 4gb card, bag, battery etc. They only sell new cameras and are very reliable, this is the second camera I've bought off them (I got a Canon 40D a few months ago).

Advertisement