Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outside bet predictions for next season

• 06-05-2008 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭

This seasons dead (for most of us!) so time to think about next year...

Obviously a general prediction thread will degenerate into Liverpool / Man U / Chelsea / Arsenal for the title. But what about the weird things that you have a hunch might happen? Doesn't have to be EPL either.

Personally I think:

Prediction

Arsenal to finish OUTSIDE the top 4

Why?

The EPL is getting more competitive. despite the points gap between 4th & 5th top teams are dropping points to "lower" teams. The big money TV deal is flooding all teh sides with extra cash and there is now a gaggle of teams (Pompey, Spurs, Villa, Man City, Newcastle, Everton; maybe even Sunderland) who have either deep pockets or a talented manager - or in some cases both. Spurs signing Modric for £16 - 18m is a real indicator of the type of ambition that this bracket of club now have. Man City stayed in the top 4 for teh bulk of teh first half of teh season, it's not that hard to imagine one of those teams adding a bit of depth to the squad, getting a good run and still being in the mix come March. After that anything could happen. After all Everton did it not that long ago.

But one of teh current top 4 would have to miss out.

Much as I would love to see it it's hard to picture Utd dropping to 5th. Likewise Chelsea - even if Grant stays and teh likes of Lampard & Drogba go they won't drop past 3rd.

Which leaves Liverpool or Arsenal. Liverpool have a great core (Reina / Carra / Masherano / Torres). The DIC takeover looks probable and with or without that new players will be added so teh team should be stronger.

Arsenal though... They ended this season with a bit of a whimper and are losing players (Flamini gone, Hleb may be following and doubts over Fabregas). Wenger won't spend money. Great football when they get it together but all too often it's passes not points. Of teh top 4 they seem the most at risk.

So what do you lot think? Any other predictions?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

This season isn't over and already we have an 'Arsenal to fall apart' prediction for 08/09. Good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

City's line up for next season when everyone leaves -

GK : Hun Kidori

RB: Sun Jihai (C)
    LB: Kerry Oki
    CB. Win Wan Soon
    CB: Woo Flung Dung

RM: Wang King
    CM: Sam Ting-Wong
    CM: Lot Te-Re
    LM: Dum-Gai

CF: Hu Yu Hai-Ding
    CF: Lei Ying-Lo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Xavi6 wrote: »

CB. Win Wan Soon

This team is going to be a champion:eek::eek::eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Well i expect good season of Spurs and they will finally get in top 4,they investing a lot of money and they still dont have result they want,Champions league place,also Aston Villa and Everton could be again very good,but i still think it will be hard somehow brake this top 4 ,i still believe Arsenal cant play so bad to lose least 4th place,but hey,its still very early to predict and surprises are possible,depends a lot of this transfer summer and how situations will going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Leeds to win The Championship

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Leeds to win The Championship
    Have to win the play-off's ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Heh, didn't this happen a couple years ago, someone bet €50 that Utd would be outside the top 6 (they won the league).

Anyway, Liverpool have it all to do this summer, and are in most danger of slipping if they make the wrong signings (not Barry), Wenger is too good a manager to squander what he's been building the last few years.

Done deal, win em at a canter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

lol @ predicting Arsenal outside the top 4, and spurs to replace them.

Er.....las summer tbh.

Top 4 will be the same as it always is (NAP)

Since we imploded, it's put the fear of god into other teams when it comes to overspending.

Basically none of them have the bottle to go for it like we did!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Stoke to not get relegated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I didn't say Spurs to replace them! I don't think that teh same top 4 will be top 4 at the end of next season, I reckon one of any number of teams could break in and I have a hunch it could be either Villa or Everton. That said Spurs have a pot on the shelf already this season, have a decent (if injury prone) defence, a couple of good strikers and are investing so they will probably do well next year. While I don't think Arsenal will "fall apart" I do think that of teh current big 4 they are most at risk. If LFC were in danger of losing 2 or 3 of thier key players I'd nominate them instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

everyone had an henry-less arsenal discounted this time last year and they went on to begin a phenomenal season playing fantastic football and delighting the neutral, they did however also implode amongst themselves in the dying months of all competitions, but they will probably be back stronger next year, provided Wenger makes a few astute signings - which we all know he will, and sorts the team out with a decent skipper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

This season isn't over and already we have an 'Arsenal to fall apart' prediction for 08/09. Good work.

At least we have it out in the open again. Those that said it will be made to look as foolish as previous seasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Berbatov to be top scorer

The premiership winners to have 100+ points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Killme00 wrote: »
    Berbatov to be top scorer

In La Liga or Serie A? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Well i expect good season of Spurs and they will finally get in top 4,they investing a lot of money and they still dont have result they want,Champions league place,also Aston Villa and Everton could be again very good,but i still think it will be hard somehow brake this top 4 ,i still believe Arsenal cant play so bad to lose least 4th place,but hey,its still very early to predict and surprises are possible,depends a lot of this transfer summer and how situations will going
    Everton were luck with injuries this year and played above themselves and while I think they have a great manager I think they will drop down a bit, 10th ish,
    Villa to realy push for cl spot and be there or there abouts, Arsenal season to depend on what is spent I think they need to spend 50m+ to stay in the top 4.kegan to get sacked/have a hissy fit and walk with Harry finally takingover with watertight contract.Man city unless they keep sven to be in reg battle.
    stoke to beat derby record.Sunderland to either spend bucketloads and come in top 10 or roy to walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Killme00 wrote: »
    The premiership winners to have 100+ points
    Woah.

No chance imo.

That means dropping only 7 Points all season?

Look at this year, the most competetive in years, and the winners will only have 85/87 Points.

For the winners to have 100+ Points one team would have to be ultra-dominant.

Can't see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I'd go the opposite way on points totals - rather than the winner having 100+ points I would expect next years winner to have the lowest winning total in the last 4 or 5 years.

The second tier teams are getting better and will nick points off teh top sides more regularly. The CL pumps vast amounts of money in but the new TV deal is giving all of the EPL teams huge amounts of money. It used to be only the very top teams (and newcastle ;) ) could punt 15 - 20million on a single player, now there are 6 - 8 teams that could. That increase in quality will mean an increase in competitivness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Leeds - Done deal, win em at a canter.

I hope you can handle the absolute disgusting feeling that will visit you if they don't win, and you realise you have to face another season of drivel.

Been there with Forest.

Nothing is certain in the play offs.

• Advertisement

2006 mate- 90 minutes away from the Premiership

P.O Final

Leeds 0 Watford 3

Never felt as low in all my life. Was sat in the Watford end at the Millenium Stadium too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

im going to be really really outlandish with this one, and say both arsenal AND liverpool to finish outside the top 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

2006 mate- 90 minutes away from the Premiership

P.O Final

Leeds 0 Watford 3

Never felt as low in all my life. Was sat in the Watford end at the Millenium Stadium too

I'm a Watford fan mate and I don't mean to be bad but that was the best day of my life:D

Hopefully the same will be happening in a few weeks.

Hope Watford go up mate, cannot stand those muppets Hull. I think everyone is writing you off to their detriment.

Beating Warnocks Palarse in the final would be sweet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Every right to be writing us off.
    Was over at the game on Sunday against Blackpool and we were awful until one bit of magic from Smith got us back in the game.

Hopefully the form book goes out the window like it usually does in the play offs and we can spring an upset:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I predict the top 4 to remain the same *shock*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Helix wrote: »
    im going to be really really outlandish with this one, and say both arsenal AND liverpool to finish outside the top 4

thats goin out on a bit too much of a limb there! its all going to depend on the transfer window tbh!! if chelski loose some key players, they may be out of the top 4! same can be said for the others as players are shacky in a few teams now! should be an interesting summer spend spree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Ronaldo to score <20 prm goals

I agree with the prospect of Arsenal finishing outside the top4, Flamini will be a loss but ill wait and see who Wenger signs before i would confident of that bet

First Manager to go in 2008/09 Season?? :) depending on who's actually left come the first fixtures should be interesting too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Like this year, The Champions League will be won by an English side.
    Drogba will leave Chelsea.
    Wenger will sign some unknown French Kid that will score about 15 goals.
    Top 4 will stay the same and finish in the same order.(Utd/Chelsea 1 OR 2, Gunners 3rd, Liverpool 4th)
    Villa with new signing Saha to finish 5th.
    Eriksson to leave City (before been pushed) to take new vacant position at Liverpool ( after famous summer tour fall out between owners and manager ):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Liverpool to be knocked out of the Champions League group stage.

Pomepy to make the semis of the UEFA Cup, possibly even win it.

Nothing too drastic to happen in league, maybe Chelsea falling out of the title race early on and finishing 3rd/4th and being a fair few points off from the eventual winners. Big Phil to take over at Citey, with it all going horribly wrong and City finishing 15th (Sorry Xavi, but as a Newcastle supporter, I see all the hallmarks of the reign of an incompotent Owner/Chairman)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Newcastle to finish in UEFA Cup spot. Sunderland to need new manager by Christmas (Keane to walk rather than be fired).

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Newcastle to finish in UEFA Cup spot. Sunderland to need new manager by Christmas (Keane to walk rather than be fired).

Mike.

Both of those would be lovely Mike, but even i'm not that optimistic (if by Uefa Cup spot you mean 5th). 7th or 8th, with decent football played, some long term signings made, and an overall sign of progress will be good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

All mine are about Utd.

Rooney to once again break a bone in his foot.

Foster to become Englands number one.

Giggs and Neville to retire/announce retirement during the 08/09 campaign.

After the 08/09 campaign Scholes will move to Oldham.

Manucho to be the Premier Leagues top scorer.

Actually, does anyone think that the Euro's will have an effect on some of the big players like World Cup 06 seemed to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

A. I've no idea since we'll all have no idea until the transfer window closes.

B. I could see either Arsenal or Liverpool possibly not getting 4th, although I think Liverpool is much much much more likely [although I think neither are likely]. That said, I could also see Arsenal winning the league. It just depends on how Wenger gets them going. I expect them to challenge next season. Liverpool I'll tell ya after the summer.

C. I do think Spurs with the right signings will challenge the weaker of the top 4, but at lot of things would have to go their way for them to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

14 premiership managers to be sacked/ change jobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Liverpool to sustain a title challenge past december

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Arsenal to finish OUTSIDE the top 4

hmmm... feels like deja-vu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fuck Foster, Joe Hart to be England's number 1.

Fuck Foster, Joe Hart to be England's number 1.

If only he could close his legs for 2 mins, ba-dum-dish! :pac:

I'll get me jacket

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Palermo to change manager more than 10 times during next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

CB. Win Wan Soon

Well, at least they would give you 110% in every game - unlike the current squad did at Anfield this week.

Top 4 will be the same as it always is (NAP)

Since we imploded, it's put the fear of god into other teams when it comes to overspending.

Basically none of them have the bottle to go for it like we did!

You guys are actually proud of that? Interesting.

Helix wrote: »

I think the yearly optimism of Villa and Everton fans is rather cute. It's important too, because as the top four cement themselves as the top four over the coming three to four seasons it will be necessary for the fan bases of the rest of the league to be chipper about their prospects on a yearly basis so that the whole premiership bandwagon of hype keeps motoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

C. Ronaldo to be plying his trade in Spain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

top 2 to stay the same
    top 4 to stay the same
    Spurs, Villa and Everton to compete for 5th
    Newcastle, Blackburn, Portsmouth, City and West Ham all to be fighting to challenge for the final Euro spot.
    Sunderland to spend big and establish theselves as a mid-table Prem team.
    West Brom to stay up
    Everyone else to be involved in a Relegation battle
    and atm Stoke, Fulham and Crystal Palace? to go down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    C. Ronaldo to be plying his trade in Spain.

You better hope to Getafe :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I always make this prediction and I'm always wrong:o
    But I'll do it again: All 3 clubs promoted from the Championship will survive in the Premiership.
    (West Brom should definitely stay up, Palace would be most likely to survive off the playoff teams...Stoke may be the downfall:()
    Also I predict:
    Liverpool to finish outside the top 4, with either Everton or Portsmouth taking the last CL spot.
    Wigan to have an excellent season and finish within the top 10.
    Aston Villa to finish in the bottom half of the table, maybe 12th or 13th.
    Curbishley to be the first manager sacked and West Ham to flirt with relegation.

Boro and Sunderland (unfortunately) to be relegated.
    If Fulham or Birmingham survive this season, they'll go down next season.
    If Reading survive this season, they'll survive next season also and West Ham will go down with Boro and Sunderland.

Given my track record of prediciting stuff, NONE of this will come true! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

^^^
    Utd fan, correct?? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Funnily enough I predicted Portsmouth to win the FA Cup at the start of last season and they're doing pretty well! Unfortunately I didn't put money on it.

Predictions:
    QPR certainties to get promoted. With that amount of money they could buy any players they wanted.

Newcastle will push on to grab 5th spot if Keegan is given money to spend in the summer.

Bolton to be relegated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement