Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Key won't go into ingnition - Avensis 04

Options
  • 06-05-2008 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Over the past couple of weeks I have noticed that the key has been difficult to get into the ignition of Avensis.

The central locking is fine as in, opening and locking doors with the remote and even using it on the lock on drivers side.

Today however, it would not go into the ignition at all. Tried the other key and even the spare (grey) key with no joy. I put some 3-n-1 oil on key but no joy. My local Toyota garage - service section not back until tomorrow, however, a guy who answered the phone there said that it is dirt in the ignition and to apply 3-n-1 oil into the ignition itself to remove dirt which probably has accumulated in there over the years from the key itself.

Has anybody got any ideas on this?:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

Hi, same problem with the same year car. I put a small bit of silicone grease on my key and the problem never recurred. There was never any visible dirt on my key so I dont think it was due to an accumulation of dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Thanks for that. I will try it later. Would I get that stuff in hardware store or petrol/gargae shop?

Hi, same problem with the same year car. I put a small bit of silicone grease on my key and the problem never recurred. There was never any visible dirt on my key so I dont think it was due to an accumulation of dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

suitseir wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I will try it later. Would I get that stuff in hardware store or petrol/gargae shop?

WD40 - worlds best invention! Available everywhere

Thanks. Actually, I think I have that at home. Another suggestion, along with the above, was to jiggle the steering wheel when putting key in ignition. So I will give all these suggestions a go this evening. :)

Victor_M wrote: »
    WD40 - worlds best invention! Available everywhere

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Thanks. Actually, I think I have that at home. Another suggestion, along with the above, was to jiggle the steering wheel when putting key in ignition. So I will give all these suggestions a go this evening. :)

The jiggling would only help to disable the steering lock I think? I seem to recall something about not having the key attached to a ring might help? Sounds mad but what the hell. Must put some wd40 on mine actually. And about ten other things in the house. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

Any decent hardware shop should have silicone grease - small toothpaste type tube. I was given mine so I cant say where it was purchased. A motor factors should have it, garage/petrol station probably wont.

I was going to put a small bit of WD40 into the ignition but it will transfer onto your key and smell for ages. But if thats all you can get then you might have to use it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Almost any lubricant would be beneficial.

OK I used the WD40. MAGIC! Back on the road! But will carry the WD40 in the boot of the car, just in case.

Thanks for all your hints and recommendations.
    :)

Advertisement