Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT after July on S/H cars

Options
  • 06-05-2008 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Listening to Gerry Ryan show and he has an expert on here.

He is saying that after July S/H cars will still be VRT'd based on CC size and not CO2 emissions.

I dont think this is right.

A woman phoned in asking if she bought a 01 Passet 1.8T in NI and took it through now would the VRT charge be the same now and after July 08. He said it would. Is this right?

He said only new cars regsitered after July 08 in there own country and imported into Ireland after July 08 would would be VRT'd on the new CO2 based system.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

"Expert" & Gerry Ryan don't sit well in my mind, unless you are talking about an expert in BS :D

He is right they closed that loophole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,888 ✭✭✭Soarer

Moonbaby wrote: »
    He is right they closed that loophole.

When?

Have a read here:

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/News/MainBody,16861,en.htm

Ammendments were made.

For Jan-July registered cars there is an opt-in for the emissions based Raod Tax (if new version is cheaper).

Pre July 2008 cars are going to be VRTd on NEW system, Road tax on old system

kluivert wrote: »
    He said only new cars regsitered after July 08 in there own country and imported into Ireland after July 08 would would be VRT'd on the new CO2 based system.

Well that's definitely wrong, isn't it?!

Isn't it any cars first registered from Jan. 2008?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I think we have entered the twilight zone, you couldn't make this stuff up! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

wrote:
    He is saying that after July S/H cars will still be VRT'd based on CC size and not CO2 emissions.

My understanding is that cars imported after July will be VRTed on the CO2 emissions, cars where the CO2 is not known will get the full 36%.
    A woman phoned in asking if she bought a 01 Passet 1.8T in NI and took it through now would the VRT charge be the same now and after July 08. He said it would. Is this right?

Based on what I said above the VRT may change based on its CO2 emissions.

Doesn't mention VRT there at all, just tax

I could be wrong on all/some of the above of course!

Have a read here:

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/News/MainBody,16861,en.htm

Ammendments were made.

For Jan-July registered cars there is an opt-in for the emissions based Raod Tax (if new version is cheaper).

Pre July 2008 cars are going to be VRTd on old system, Road tax on old system

Doesn't say anything about the new co2 VRT rate not applying to pre-2008 cars.
    If it's not going to apply, why are they changing the VRT calculator webpage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Listening to Gerry Ryan show and he has an expert on here.

sounds like this "expert" works for SIMI, trying to scare people.

"don't buy a dirty grey import over there, buy one of ours! lovely sweeky clean (overpriced) home grown (imported) car over here:D:D

Soarer wrote: »
    Doesn't say anything about the new co2 VRT rate not applying to pre-2008 cars.
    If it's not going to apply, why are they changing the VRT calculator webpage?

My bad. Apologies.

They will need to change the VRT Calculator in any case. What if someone wants to import a post July 2008 car?

• Advertisement

True.
    But instead of doing a whole new calculator page, they could've just put in a bit of code where, when the Date Of First Registrsation is entered as 2008 or beyond, then the co2 part would load.
    That's my take on it anyway.

There's nobody gonna give out to you for getting it wrong. Nobody seems to have the definitive answer, and the whole situation isn't helped by "experts" coming on the radio giving people wrong information.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

For s/h imports pre July 08, vrt on the new rates and road tax on the cc system.

For new Jan '08 - July '08 vrt on the new rates. Road tax can be either (you decide)

July '08 imports or domestic - vrt and road tax based on CO2.

..........................I think :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

^^ Thats the conclusion I come to aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

There were no amendments to the VRT basis following the budget.

VRT from July is CO2 for ALL cars, a client of the company I work for who is an importer is ceasing to import come June 30th. If no COC then it's 36% unless you can get the manufacturer(not a local dealer or the seller) to confirm otherwise.

Motor Tax is based on:
    • CC for all pre 08 cars
    • CO2 for all July 08 onwards
    • the cheaper of CC or CO2 for all pre July, 08 cars on the next renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

What I believed to be right was come July 08 I import a 05 Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTI the VRT will be based on CO2 emissions and not CC Size.

But what the guy on Gerry Ryan was saying this morning was that it will still be based on CC Size.

He said only Second Hand cars that are registered after July 08 and then imported into Ireland would be VRT'd based on CO2 emissions.

Now he didnt sound too convincing as if he didnt know the facts and was trying to make something up based on what he thought was right.

What I believed to be right was come July 08 I import a 05 Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTI the VRT will be based on CO2 emissions and not CC Size.

But what the guy on Gerry Ryan was saying this morning was that it will still be based on CC Size.

He said only Second Hand cars that are registered after July 08 and then imported into Ireland would be VRT'd based on CO2 emissions.

Now he didnt sound too convincing as if he didnt know the facts and was trying to make something up based on what he thought was right.

You are right

The "expert":rolleyes: is wrong

Your Motor Tax will however be CC based

Edit:
    I believe it's you I'm quoting here "you should never try to tell an accountant he's wrong about tax"

ninty9er wrote: »
    You are right

The "expert":rolleyes: is wrong

Your Motor Tax will however be CC based

Sorry I branded him an expert. I think he was a rte journalist assigned to do a piece on VRT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

ninty9er wrote: »
    There were no amendments to the VRT basis following the budget.

VRT from July is CO2 for ALL cars, a client of the company I work for who is an importer is ceasing to import come June 30th. If no COC then it's 36% unless you can get the manufacturer(not a local dealer or the seller) to confirm otherwise.

Motor Tax is based on:
    • CC for all pre 08 cars
    • CO2 for all July 08 onwards
    • the cheaper of CC or CO2 for all pre July, 08 cars on the next renewal.

One good thing as that a cert of conformity isn't necessarily reauired to get low VRT. A print off from the DVLA website is acceptable. You can enter the reg of the imported car on the DVLA suite and if the DVLA have c02 emissions on file (they shouyld for most cars made in the last 4 or 5 years) they'll take that as conclusive.

One good thing as that a cert of conformity isn't necessarily reauired to get low VRT. A print off from the DVLA website is acceptable. You can enter the reg of the imported car on the DVLA suite and if the DVLA have c02 emissions on file (they shouyld for most cars made in the last 4 or 5 years) they'll take that as conclusive.

They're manufacturer listed though. Anything older than 00/01 and you're pretty much between a rock and a hardplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Was just about to post about this - that's deadly. It's free, too.

• Advertisement

very handy, just did a check on a 02 golf and it has c02 emissions:
    try it yourself from a car reg on autotrader.co.uk or ebay:
    see how far back co2 goes:
    http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application;JSESSIONID_EvlPortalApp=LgdFCV1YnQ7LzfJ2cCvMztnqnlcTh1yyTQJyCh1bcQHqWHD5dvJg!1632218672!-655977589?pageid=Vehicle+Enquiry&portletid=VehicleEnquiry&portletns=VehicleEnquiry_en&wfevent=link.next

im shocked revenue will accept a website print out of a co2 figure

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I am sick of 'experts', and getting a bit sick of these threads, with the same wrong opinions popping up all over the place!

http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/vrt-new-tax-regime.htm

Not your ornery onager

I sent an email to GR show giving out about their poor reporting to see what they have to say, just be interesting lol.

I sent an email to GR show giving out about their poor reporting to see what they have to say, just be interesting lol.

I didn't hear the show, but pm me the email and I'll bang it off with a few changes;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    very handy, just did a check on a 02 golf and it has c02 emissions:
    try it yourself from a car reg on autotrader.co.uk or ebay:
    see how far back co2 goes:
    http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application;JSESSIONID_EvlPortalApp=LgdFCV1YnQ7LzfJ2cCvMztnqnlcTh1yyTQJyCh1bcQHqWHD5dvJg!1632218672!-655977589?pageid=Vehicle+Enquiry&portletid=VehicleEnquiry&portletns=VehicleEnquiry_en&wfevent=link.next

im shocked revenue will accept a website print out of a co2 figure

Photoshop 119g/km ftw :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

esel wrote: »
    I am sick of 'experts', and getting a bit sick of these threads, with the same wrong opinions popping up all over the place!

http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/vrt-new-tax-regime.htm

that clears that up then good man esel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

All I know is all this BS has caused the car sales business to grind to a halt, those Muppets trying to run this country couldn't run a small business and that's a fact, f*&king ridiculous carry on tbh.:mad:

junkyard wrote: »
    All I know is all this BS has caused the car sales business to grind to a halt, those Muppets trying to run this country couldn't run a small business and that's a fact, f*&king ridiculous carry on tbh.:mad:
    I think you'll find a number of them DID before they were elected. Anyhow what has media incompetence and lack of basic literacy with regards to reprinting the facts as RELEASED by the government got to do with running a small business, or the country for that matter.

with regard to the motor industry grinding to a halt, theres a very simple solution, drop the prices of your s/h stock, and give the public a bargain, for once.

On the flip side, you can always screw the public in July, when people are trading-in for a low co2 08 cars.

• Advertisement
Advertisement