Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Whats the heaviest band in the world

• 06-05-2008 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

just wondering

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Do you mean on average per head or collectively?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

The magic numbers? didnt they refuse to play on bbc after some fat jokes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

When you say heaviest do you mean by weight or by sound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Earth Wind and Fire? There was about 14 of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

lol I mean by sound, although who's the fatest is also quite interesting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

nipplenuts wrote:
    Earth Wind and Fire? There was about 14 of them.

I think Yes Union had them beat by about 279 people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Byron Stroud and Gene Hoglan are probably the heaviest rhythm section ever

The Berzerker are sometimes touted by music journos as the most extreme band ever, but IMO some people will find some types of music heavier than others, so there really isn't a single correct answer

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭professorpete

MooseJam wrote: »
    just wondering

Meshuggah? Impossi-metal!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Rustar wrote: »
    I think Yes Union had them beat by about 279 people.

For sheer bulk I think Poison Idea would have been a contender :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Cryptopsy and Nile have some insanely heavy moments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

OP, define "heaviness" - is it fastest, lowest tuned, slowest, biggest riffs, etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

There was a band in the late 80s maybe early 90s whose gimmick was being fat, thought they were called Mammoth but thats not it. Kinda looked like ZZ Top but fatter. Anyway they were crap. Hope that helps:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Byron Stroud and Gene Hoglan are probably the heaviest rhythm section ever

The Berzerker are sometimes touted by music journos as the most extreme band ever, but IMO some people will find some types of music heavier than others, so there really isn't a single correct answer

I totally agree. If you take Berzerker as an example thats a broad enough range of genre's they've got going. Maybe define the question to heaviest (purely)metal band?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

You're only going to be heavy if everyone else is soft.

I nominate Celtic Frost- They were the first to use the extra heavy distortion and growly vocals; or at least they were the first to do it and achieve some success.

I'll proffer the Rage Against the Machine rhythm section.
    Monster groove riffs, many times doubled on bass & guitar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

It would take a lot of music level readings and statistical analysis to rule out any subjectiveness to define who is the 'heaviest' band out there. Once all readings (decibels, average bpm, total overtones per sample) are taken and processed (possibly weeks of number crunching), the results would look something like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Manowar were the loudest band in the world for a while there if that counts lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Do they have to be traditional rock/metal bands or does Noisecore/Terrorcore/Speedcore count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

napalm death

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

For raw 'heavyness' a good palce to find is some of the goregrind type bands, they can get pretty rediculously heavy, to the point you cant pick out one as being notably heavier, favourites include:
    Arsebreed
    Prostitute Disfigurement
    Aborted

I'll also mention:
    Paracoccidioidomicosisproctitissarcomucosis

Their awful but have a rather cool name, longest 1 word band name in the world if memory serves, some of their songs names are pretty nuts too, including:
    Uruporfironogenodescarboxilandome Y Pustulandome Con Tu Anorgasmia Exaclorobencenosisticarial Sexo Traumatizante

• Advertisement

Pugsley wrote: »
    Their awful but have a rather cool name, longest 1 word band name in the world if memory serves, some of their songs names are pretty nuts too, including:
    Uruporfironogenodescarboxilandome Y Pustulandome Con Tu Anorgasmia Exaclorobencenosisticarial Sexo Traumatizante

Are you sure you spelled that correctly? I bet the reason they are the heaviest band is because the thickness of their inlay book containing the lyrics to songs with names longer than most actual songs!:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

gucci wrote: »
    Are you sure you spelled that correctly?
    Its copy pasted from my winamp playlist, as is the name, I cant pronounce either let alone spell them off hand :)

But their pretty damn heavy too, just awful.

Its copy pasted from my winamp playlist, as is the name, I cant pronounce either let alone spell them off hand :)

But their pretty damn heavy too, just awful.

I would look it up only for we have a stoopid head phone ban in work............man my motivation for this place is at an all time low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Napalm Death
    Cattle Decapitation
    Cock & Ball Torutre....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

I'll also mention:
    Paracoccidioidomicosisproctitissarcomucosis

theres also a band called Ungl'Unl'Rrlh'Chchch. free cookies if you get the reference

The Carpenters.
    Originally the heaviest band in the world, later the lightest, after the anorexia kicked in.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

Perhaps the likes of the old Mastodon stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

Snub comes to mind.

They had an album called memories in richter. Such a great album, cant find it anywhere though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Bolt thrower

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Manowar (jokin'!! :D )

I'd have to say Crowbar. Or Sunn O))) Depends on what you mean by "heavy"!

Advertisement