Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you game on a laptop ?

Options
  • 06-05-2008 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

There are a lot of "gaming" laptops around these days, they definately have the power to run games but can you actually enjoy the experience, anytime I tried playing on a laptop I found it cramped and I couldn't see myself playing through a whole game on one, what about you are there any laptop gamers out there ? , how do find playing on them ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I do.

vostro1500, 8600gt, 4gigs RAM, x64 vista.

Plays what I want perfectly [Steam games + CoD4 is all I play at the minute] and has the grunt to deal with my silly running of lots of programs. Have a 360 for other gaming.

Suits me fine cos I do a lot of travel and dont like the idea of leaving an expensive gaming rig in the apartment for weeks on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I have an old, sh!tty laptop that I game on. Just Steam stuff installed at the moment, CS:S, TF2, DOD:S etc. Mostly using my PS3 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Lots of people play World of warcraft (details turned down) on relatively cruddy laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Don't like gaming on a laptop myself. I need a full-size keyboard. It gets a bit impractical to be carrying around a beefy laptop and a usb keyboard as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

nope, i need a proper keyboard and mouse but if i use a proper keyboard and mouse, i'm too far away from the screen. so then if i use another screen, i might as well just buy a better specced desktop for cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I've a Inspiron 1720 Core 2 Duo 2.00ghz, 2gb ram with a 128 mb Geforce 8400m. I mostly use it for WoW and older Steam games like Titan Quest. Doubt it'd run anything recent like COD4 or Crysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

I've a Inspiron 1720 Core 2 Duo 2.00ghz, 2gb ram with a 128 mb Geforce 8400m. I mostly use it for WoW and older Steam games like Titan Quest. Doubt it'd run anything recent like COD4 or Crysis.

COD4 runs pretty good at 1280x800 low-ish on the 8400.

I do have a gaming laptop but I don't play properly on it, only for local LAN games with friends and that sort of thing. I tried playing COD4 online once when my main computer was out of action, was a nightmare, couldn't get used to it and as a result couldn't enjoy the game at all.

Whenever I need to use my laptop for games, I hook it up to my monitor with an external keyboard...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Yes, (Vostro 8600mGT 2gb ram vista biz) although a lot of the time I hook it up to my monitor + kb/m.

The odd time I go back to my pc, I can't get over how ****ing loud it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Use a dell XPS personally...find it unreal...great graphics, plays what i want...it's a full size keyboard and a 17" widescreen...quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Theres two laptops in my house for my dad and sister, they are only them cheap ones that can run the sims 2 and any old games. They are 'ok' for gaming, but i prefer my Pc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I use my work laptop (standard office specs, nothing fancy) for older games (C&C 2, Total Annihilation, Baldur's Gate 2) and a bit of WoW when I'm on the road or during lunch. I have a high end gaming pc and a X360 for 'proper' gaming at home, though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Only things I play on the laptop are the funky shooters ABA games churn out, Noiz2a, rRootage etc.
    They take up no room and run on anything with a screen and XP, well worth a look.
    All the heavier gaming gets done on the consoles, PS3/360/Wii and the rest.

Before I bought an N64 I played everything on the PC, although that was a while ago, the likes of Quake, Quake 2, Mechwarrior 2/3, Interstate, I had a very expensive, at the time, rendition cart installed which made things run a lot better! Later to be upgraded to some Matrox gubbins, hmmm... they were the days!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Evangelion

Picked one up the other day. Toshiba Dual 2.5GHz, 4 Gb Ram, 512 Nvidia.
    Runs everything smooth on 17" Truebright...is awesome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

XPS 1530...Still fresh. 2.5Ghz T9300 processor, 4gig of RAM at 667Mhz 8600GT with 256Mb GDDR3... and 15 inch screen.

It can handle games decently enough, and is still actually a laptop.... and not some tank of a desktop replacement. I can carry it around comfortably enough all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Yep, just plug in mouse/kb/monitor when I get home, takes less then a min. Mines only a 14" but is good enough specs wise, very light too. Haven't had a chance to play in ages though, exams/work taking its toll.
    Handy to leave a few joypads in your bag and play some Mario Kart/Tekken/Pro Evo on the go too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Inspiron 9400 with 2Ghz core 2 duo, 2GBs ram and 7900gs. I play games on it the whole time and don't have any problems with it as long as I have a decent mouse with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Dartz wrote: »
    XPS 1530...Still fresh. 2.5Ghz T9300 processor, 4gig of RAM at 667Mhz 8600GT with 256Mb GDDR3... and 15 inch screen.

It can handle games decently enough, and is still actually a laptop.... and not some tank of a desktop replacement. I can carry it around comfortably enough all day.

Same as me pretty much.

I found the supertacky styling of most of the high end gaming laptops offputting. I really like the spec of the m1530, though it's a midrange one really not a high end one.
    The novatech x80r (rebadged clevo) is a high-end spec pure gaming laptop at a good price comparatively. Dunno if I trust the brand though and I wasn't only concerned with gaming so I'm happy with my selection.

Advertisement